Brake noise

wils36

moped
I have an 08 T100 that I just put gaiters on this weekend. After I put the wheel and brake back on I heard a slight rubbing sound that sounded like the brake pad rubbing against the disc when I spin the wheel. I went to the back wheel and spun it also and heard a simliar sound. The brakes feel fine and I don't smell anything when riding the bike, but I just never heard that before. Is this normal? Is it just axle/bearing noise?

drlapo

Hooligan
it is normal as the brake pistons do not retract into the caliper , they are pushed back by the disc .
they are always in contact with the idsc
other wise there woud be delay in the appicaation of the brake as the sytem would need to be "pumped up" each time to take up the slack

mark66

TT Racer
Most likely it's nothing at all. I've had that on mine also. There may be a very slight uneven surface to the rotor. If the rotors became seriously warped then they should be replaced.

koifarm

Hooligan
Ditto on the above posts, I usually will give both brakes a good stop or two just out of the driveway before I get on the main road, warms em up and let's me know they are working well.
Quite often, if I'm on a straight stretch of road, with no traffic around, I'll do a nice firm semi "panic stop" from cruising speed, just to keep current with the "feel" of one...it's all just a part of riding....
Just sayin'