America Handlebars on a Speedmaster

tg8058

Scooter
Hi All,
Trying to find out how difficult it is to change the bars. I have a 2007 Speedmaster and want to change it to have risers and America handlebars(personal choice, I like the mix and looks of both bikes). Does anyone know if I need to change the whole yolk setup, need to change the cables because they will be too short, are the bars a different circumference, will the America bars fit into the risers I have on the speedy, how difficult for a non mechanically minded person is it all???????? So many questions!!! Also does anyone know a good place to purchase all that I need that is good with international postage? Any help would be most appreciated. Cheers

Uncle Fat

Scooter
Funny this comes up now.. I just changed the bars on my SM back to original from America bars.... So, you're going to use the SM risers with America bars? Should work fine. Both are 1" bars. You will need to change the cables. When the previous owner put the America bars on my Speedy, they didn't change the cables.... they just re-routed the original cables so they were coming up around the tank instead of in front of the yolk. And that was with the shorter, America risers... If you're keeping the Speedy risers, the throttle cables won't reach and it'll be a super stretch for the rest (if they reach at all). As far as "for a non-mechanically minded person"... I'm no mechanical engineer (although I'm ok with my hands) and it wasn't much problem to switch back to SM bars. Just get a Haynes manual and don't try to take shortcuts... Replace the cables and do it right... it'll be worth it (personally, if I were swapping cables, I'd look at it as an excuse to get the stainless braided cables and dress things up a bit).

Last edited:

tg8058

Scooter
Thanks for the heads up, most appreciated..don't suppose you're selling your america bars and cables?? Never know if you don't ask!!!!.... I will probably buy the Rivco risers for the America bar but I still think I need to change the cables. I'm new to this site so I hope I'm not doing the wrong thing by asking, but if you are selling my email is [email protected]. If this is inappropriate I apologise in advance and excuse my ignorance. Can I ask why you changed back to the speedy bars? I saw a speedy with the america bars solo seat and rear guard bib and it looked spectacular...now I'm going to try for a similar look. Thanks again

Uncle Fat

Scooter
No worries about asking... But no, I'll be keeping the America bars for a while... just incase I change my mind again.

As for the reason I switched... I just wanted something a little less 'laid back'. Also, I just prefer the look of the SM bars. I was definitely not disappointed. The SM bars really make me feel more connected to the bike... especially in the turns.

tg8058

Scooter
Thanks for your help..appreciated.
As they say....keep the shiny side up.
Have a good one. Cheers mate