Air filter.

findlay13

Scooter
Just posted this in BA forum but I'll ask here too.More opinions the better.
I've just installed a K&N filter and it's an improvement but I was wondering if I cut back the snorkel which goes down into the middle of the filter quite a way to an inch or two would i see more improved air flow or not enough to worry about.
Anyone have any experience with this?

MattRat

TT Racer
just pull the snorkel out? I lost mine at 600 miles...seemed like it was flowing better...

or go all the way and get rid of the whole airbox.

ssjones

750cc
If you are looking for a SOTP improvement, changing the filter and removing the snorkel won't yield that kind of result.
What exhaust are you running?

findlay13

Scooter
Thanks for the replies.I'm running "Maddaz'' pipes.I tried her yesterday with the snorkel out and it ran a bit rough.Put the snorkel back and it's running good, so until have another service/tune up/and maybe re-jet then at about another 5,000ks.I guess I'll leave as is.

mrt202

Street Tracker
If the snorkel makes that much difference, you're probably running way too lean. I don't think i'd wait that long before rejetting!

Gregger

moped
What you are noticing is exactly what I had when I pulled my 3 snorkel tubes in combo with TOR pipe install. The engine would bog on acceleration. Way too lean. I started with 120 mains and ended up with 135s. I also had installed a couple of shims under my needles to help with the mid range and switched to TBS needles. Mine runs a lot better than stock.

One way to check your jet size is to put the bike in 3rd or 4th gear and accelerate at full throttle (over 5000 rpms) for a few moments then back off on the throttle a small amount. If your bike seems to pick up speed then you are too lean on the mains. The opposite is also true.

findlay13

Scooter
Thanks Gregger.I think I'll get it dyno tested next week.I went to the mechanics today but he was snowed under with work.I'll be in touch with him next week too.

findlay13

Scooter
Finally I got around to pulling the snorkel and a dyno run.It was fine as it'd been done when the pipes and AI were done .it only needed a shim on each carby needle.It runs fine now.:headbang2: