Handlebar Question

talon596

moped
Hi new (very happy) Bonneville rider here. Just purchased a 09 Bonneville and I want to change the bars to Norman Hyde M bars.

Recently I sold my 99 Triumph Legend where I had changed the stock bars to Thunderbird Sport bars. The OEM Legend/TBS bars had a small hole in them where a nipple on the throttle assembly and clutch assembly fit into to make it a perfect match.

Question is does the stock Bonneville handlebar have this hole/nipple thing, and if so do the M bars come with this hole pre-drilled?

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
No and no. No cables in the bars, and besides folks put their bars at all sorts of different angles (including upside-down M bars for some) and so the angle of the instrument cluster and levers will change. Welcome to Bonnieland and the forum, and let the modding begin!

talon596

moped
Excellent!! Appreciate the quick response. Glad there is no "fitment lock position". The Legend (and Tbird, TBS and Adventurer I think) had cables just like the Bonneville, running outside the bars it was just this "locating" nipple thing that was a pain. Essentially you had to buy the OEM bars. Or you could file the nipple down or drill new locating holes in other bars (as I understood it). Bit of a pain really.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Its not that big of a pain...dremmel makes light work of it as many motorcycles have a little nib for control orientation. You said you have a bonnie. Stock bonnies come with 7/8 inch bars and T100 comes with 1" bars and the controls are different.
Once you order the M bar to fit your particular bike as BlueJ said, bar angle is personal, my suggestion is do not drill a new hole in your new bar. Remove the nib from the controls instead. You won't have to worry about the control rotating if properly tightened. Good Luck.

fender

Street Tracker
If I recall correctly all Bonnevilles prior to 09 had 1" bars. My 05 non T100 has 1" bars.

I thought I heard that the newer 09 and later changed up the size to 7/8" bars when they got rid of the dog-bone clamp, but I'm not positive on that.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Quite right fender. If OP has a base '09 bonnie with alloy wheels, that means 7/8" bars and also different controls than all T100's with 1" bars. So OP, if installing M-bars, be sure you get 7/8" diameter if you have the base '09 bonnie with alloy wheels. Norman Hyde according to his site has M-bars available in 7/8" dia. by request.

talon596

moped
Thanks for all the responses!! I will likely get the bars and cut or grind the nipples off. Sounds painful doesn't it? Oh well no pain no gain. Have a great day all!!