So I got this dog...

And he's a pain in the ass.

Why won't he stop biting things/me/my wife?

4571744333_cdd1b5d54f.jpg

4572378132_5dd533ef88.jpg

Nick Morey

Rocker
Do yourselves & the dog a favor and get a book on raising/training puppies, there is a lot more you need to know than why he's biting. Cute puppy looks like he's going to get pretty big later on.

Some dogs just like to bite. My airedale terriers are biters, but in a playful way. It can be damn painful with sharp puppy teeth though. My pup Jerome tore my arms/hands to shreds when he was teething. I think I read it is a sign of affection. He would only bite me and my GF, not anyone else, if that makes you feel any better...

koifarm

Hooligan
Most pups chew/bite a lot when teething....have a looksee in his mouth. Aside from that though, it's pretty normal for most dawgs to chew, provide him with lots of chew toys and for sure a Kong, it keeps ours busy for hours.

...looks like he's going to get pretty big later on.

Yeah his paws are giant and his shoulders and hips are really wide! He's only 9 weeks old.

We're trying to discipline him by saying no and retracting whenever he nips or bites. Then we usually put his chew toy in front of his face to let him no that the toy is the appropriate thing to bite.

Also, if he's out of control we tell him no over and over and if he doesn't listen after a handful of bites we put him in his crate for about 5 minutes. Let him out and if he repeats we put him back.

My wife knows dogs well. I've never lived with or owned one in my life.

Everything I know of dog training I learned from reading Jack London... My wife tells me that's no good : P

Motley

750cc
Guys, you've got to correct that behaviour early and quickly. The dog must learn that it is NEVER acceptable to take a human hand in it's mouth......for ANY reason!

Working (K9) types excepted.

Motley

750cc
Yeah his paws are giant and his shoulders and hips are really wide! He's only 9 weeks old.

We're trying to discipline him by saying no and retracting whenever he nips or bites. Then we usually put his chew toy in front of his face to let him no that the toy is the appropriate thing to bite.

Also, if he's out of control we tell him no over and over and if he doesn't listen after a handful of bites we put him in his crate for about 5 minutes. Let him out and if he repeats we put him back.

My wife knows dogs well. I've never lived with or owned one in my life.

Everything I know of dog training I learned from reading Jack London... My wife tells me that's no good : P

You really shouldn't use the crate as punishment. The crate should be a happy place that your dog will go to readily, not a place of punishment. Imagine if you had to leave your dog unattended for a couple of hours and put it in the crate for it's own safety. It would be wondering what it did wrong, what it did to deserve the punishment. This is confusing for the animal, as it can't associate the reaction to a particular action.

If the mouthing continues give the dog a swift smack on the underside of the snout (chin) while at the same time saying a strong "NO". The idea being the dog doesn't see your hand as the object meting out the punishment and therefor doesn't associate the hand with a form of punishment. Have you ever seen a dog pull back when you reach out to pet it? Most likely that animal has been smacked more than a few times and associates the hand with punishment.

That's my two cents, it works well in our kennel.

T-boy

Rocker
You really shouldn't use the crate as punishment. The crate should be a happy place that your dog will go to readily, not a place of punishment.

+1

Most puppies like to bite/chew stuff. Let the training begin. Maybe a call to Cesar the Dog Whisperer is in order. Cute pup, by the way.

Honestly thanks for the advice. Like I said, I've never trained a puppy and I really want to do the right thing for the dog and ourselves.

More than anything I want him to be happy and comfortable while being behaved.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Well, he looks like he's a lab mix or fairly close and that particular breed is a bit mouthy. Something to do with retrievers fetching birds. And he's a puppy. Teach him the "drop" command and you'll be OK. Watch a few episodes of "it's me or the dog" on the animal planet and you'll get the idea.

He's just a baby and teething. He doesn't realize he's hurting you and is probably trying to be affectionate while dealing with the irritation of teething.

In my experience rewards work better than punishment.

Last edited:

wobblygong

Street Tracker
I'm not really a dog person. Fish and birds are my bag. I leave the care of our dog, a golden lab, to my wife and son, but what Motley says make a whole lotta sense to me.

Flaco

750cc
Truthfully you need to start biting him back he is smart . Im serious he will stop
Yup!
Be the pack leader and bite him back...
Ceazar knows it...
Great publications out there on dog traning...
Old one I loved back in the days was "Good Dog, Bad Dog"
Go to a book store or go on line...
Dogs are my favorite people...
Trained a few in my day...
Including Yellow Labs, kept him from teething Ducks, Healers that don't', well, heal as I'm not in Wyoming on a ranch any more...
Dawgs, Dawgs, Dawgs!
Triumph, Triumph, Triumphs!

dscott3509

Two Stroke
Lots of good tips here, my only advice is if you need some info on training a dog, find a local trainer and work with them. It is worth the money. We have older dogs that needed training, and just a few habits on our part have really changed the dogs' behavior.