speedometer problem

buckie

Scooter
I installed a mini-speedo, all the lights work, the odometer, and tripmeter work, but the speedometer itself doesn't work. Kinda has me stumped, since the speedometer is mechanical, seems if the speedometer doesn't work, the odometer shouldn't work - any thoughts. Thanks in advance

D9

Vendor
I installed a mini-speedo, all the lights work, the odometer, and tripmeter work, but the speedometer itself doesn't work. Kinda has me stumped, since the speedometer is mechanical, seems if the speedometer doesn't work, the odometer shouldn't work - any thoughts. Thanks in advance

That's not good... if the trip odometer is spinning up miles but the needle
on the speedo is not moving... one of the internal gears may be toast. Is the speedo cable stressed or severely angled anywhere near where it connects to the speedo, around the back of the headlamp for example? Can you post a pic
of the cable area where it connects to the speedo?

coopv2

Street Tracker
Hi Buckie. I had the same problem the other day I connected a new mini speedo to my bonnie drive cable and it did not work. then I looked at the end of the cable, while spinning the wheel and it was going anti clockwise. my speedo needed a clockwise rotation.
perhaps someone else can verify the same is true. then for sure we are both not crazy eh?

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I will second what D9 wrote and what you suspected OP. Normally I would say that the cable end isn't seated but your odometer works and has to be rotating in the proper direction for mileage to accumulate. Must be a mechanical failure internal to the speedo and if new, quite rare. Only suggestion would be to recheck the the cable attachment but if the odometer is working without the speedo registering as D9 stated...you have to have a defective speedo.

Last edited:

Craigore

TT Racer
Hmm.. this is weird. Where did you get the speedo? If it's the Mikesxs one, I just installed mine and it works fine, not sure what is wrong here.

buckie

Scooter
Thanks guys, got it working, but it's about 12mph off, the needle sits at 12 when bike is at rest. Contacted Mikesx, not reply yet.