Indian launch

Gretsch

Rocker
Kind of like this? My father and I. Taken by a friend in 1985... not an Indian, but a '51 Panhead.
5124_94360297337_512277337_2084775_3836545_n.jpg

Hell, I'll post another one for fun
5124_94360307337_512277337_2084776_609357_n.jpg

(nice coochie duster, dad)

Thanks for that Craigore. The pictures are classics.

As for the Indian, I wish they'd bring back the Scout.

Last edited:

simpson

TT Racer
I saw some of the new Indians up close and personal. One of the things that stuck with me was the quality of the paint job...it was crap.

I expected more pride out of such a premium brand, but discovered that they are assembling the units only. All of the manufacturing is farmed or contracted out. No problem with that, aside from the lack of quality on the fit an the finish on the floor models that I saw.

-simpson

Tomintoul

Two Stroke
Bad time to be launching a 'premium' motorcycle brand. I can't see it working myself, but I hope to be proved wrong. Same with Norton. I wish them all the best (they're based in the village I grew up in), but I'm not sure they'll get the sales. I mean, Ducati tried it with their retro sports range and that fell flat.

At the end of the day, despite plenty of folks over at the other place complaining that they want a 100hp Bonnie with Öhlins front and rear, blah, blah, blah, that's what was on offer with the Ducatis and now the Norton and very few people seem willing or able to hand over the price of a cutting-edge supersports for a naked retro.

cafenoir900

VENDOR
It's all about volume in manufacturing... the Indian and the Norton are both very low volume machines, so the cost has to be high, there is little opportunity for cost savings in numbers. They both have to sell the image and exclusivity, but they have also to back it up with performance. The Indian folks have deep pockets, which helps, and a track record of re-establishing at least one premium brand - Chris-Craft. I for one hope they make a go of it - purely sentimental, since I grew up in Springfield, MA, and had relatives that worked a Hendee Mfg. - Indian. If they could come up with a modern, smooth running version of the straight 4 to distinguish themselves from the plethora of V-twin Harley clones, they might have something... otherwise they are just another expensive, noisy, sex toy for old folk...