One week to myself, where to go?

Kframe

Street Tracker
My wife and I were going to go on vacation together in May, but now it looks like she's going to go visit her pregnant best friend in Alaska during that week instead.

So....... I've got a whole week off already approved by work, and now the only question is, where should I go?

I figure I've got a range of about 1200-1400 miles in any direction so I can make it out and back in a week doing 400 mile days.

I'm probably going to camp/squat to keep the costs down, and to make it more of an adventure.

Starting point is basically Minneapolis, MN.
Anyone have any suggestions?

ForkedRoad_sm.jpg

-Kris

fender

Street Tracker
There's got to be some great roads running along the Mississippi. Wherever you go take some pics to document and share. Enjoy you're week, trips like that sound like a hell of a lot of fun.

Kframe

Street Tracker
There's got to be some great roads running along the Mississippi. Wherever you go take some pics to document and share. Enjoy you're week, trips like that sound like a hell of a lot of fun.

Hmmm, now you got me thinking....
I wonder how long it would be from Mpls to the Gulf of Mexico/New Orleans, down one side of The River and up the other side?
That would be freaking cool!
-K

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Minneapolis to New Orleans 1200 and change

Minneapolis to Denver & the Rockies 900 give or take. Still a bit snowy in the high country, but the roads would be clear and it's pretty sunny al the time.

Minneapolis to Rapid City and the Black Hills 600 give or take. Mt. Rushmore??

You got a ton of choices but I think a Mississippi trip using blue lines would be da bomb.

KingBear

Hooligan
I did the same thing three weeks ago, the wife and daughter off visiting college, and me pointing the bike and going my own way. You would know better than anyone which way to go, all I can say is don't plan on too many miles (the saddle gets uncomfortable in a hurry) and don't over-pack (lots of weight you don't need).

Have fun!!

Kframe

Street Tracker
I did the same thing three weeks ago, the wife and daughter off visiting college, and me pointing the bike and going my own way. You would know better than anyone which way to go, all I can say is don't plan on too many miles (the saddle gets uncomfortable in a hurry) and don't over-pack (lots of weight you don't need).

Have fun!!

I think 400 a day is manageable, last year on the Canada trip each day was 400-500 with one 600 mile day.

I did overpack last time, so I'll know better for this time.
Although, I gotta figure in camping gear this time.
Well, a bedroll and pup tent at the least.
;)
-K

KingBear

Hooligan
I think 400 a day is manageable, last year on the Canada trip each day was 400-500 with one 600 mile day.
My ass gets sore just thinking about that many miles. Of course, I think with my ass so it gets sore thinking about anything at all. :)

Kirkus51

Hooligan
My 1st long ride into Canada from Denver in my wasted youth was very carefully planned point to point, and went out the window on the 1st day. Discovered that 400-500 miles a day was very doable. Slowed down only for the highlights.

Kframe

Street Tracker
My 1st long ride into Canada from Denver in my wasted youth was very carefully planned point to point, and went out the window on the 1st day. Discovered that 400-500 miles a day was very doable. Slowed down only for the highlights.

Yeah, I don't really think I need to make much of a plan.
At least at this point, I think I've got 8 days totally free. This is a rare event and I don't want to waste it! Especially by over-planning and being dead-set on a certain destination as the goal that makes for a successful trip.

The actual destination doesn't really matter to me, if it did I'd just fly (as much as that sucks these days).

And traveling alone I get to pick when to stop to eat, to pee, to take pictures, to explore a side road, to quit for the day or push on for another hundred.

The journey is the goal.

So, I think I'm going to loosely pick a destination, and head in that direction, and wherever I am in 4 days, I'll turn around and find another route back.

Hotels sure would be nice just so I could pack lighter (minus tent, bedroll, firemaking stuff and other tack), but camping is more of an adventure (especially if the weather sucks) and a helluva a lot cheaper.
(Heck, if anyone along the River roads wouldn't mind me sleeping in their backyard for a night I'd probably take the offer!)
Decisions, decisions...
-K