new Norton v New Bonneville

Bonafide

NBR founder
HA! Apples to Oranges ... but damn I'd love one of the new Nortons. Just cant afford it. Maybe if I was to sell a bunch of stuff that's just taking up space in the garage.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
HA! Apples to Oranges ... but damn I'd love one of the new Nortons. Just cant afford it. Maybe if I was to sell a bunch of stuff that's just taking up space in the garage.

I have to agree.

I saw one at the bike show here in January. If I had the money...WAIT!...I do have a severance coming from my last company...hmmmm....

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
The Norrton is triple the price. Like comparing a Mini Cooper to an Austin Martin. The guys in the video claim they both "had a great time" but they sorely dissed the Bonnevile calling it "sanitized" "anemic" and " of dubious origin" . They also apparently compared it to a hot dog. Pretty fucking harsh.

Here is the free part of the article;

MCN testers have just returned from riding the new Norton Commando 961 SE alongside the latest Triumph Bonneville.
It’s the first time the Norton has been road tested against another bike.
There’s a hell of a price differential (Norton: £15,995, Triumph £5899), but MCN’s riders still came back buzzing about both British machines.
Chief road tester Trevor Franklin said: “Surprisingly, the Bonneville was more punchy at the bottom-end of the rev-range, but the Norton had much more kick at the top – and the sound of that Commando was superb.

Last edited:

MES

750cc
Maybe they will let you tidy up the evidence locker a bit. Should be good for one or 2 new Nortons :)

I'de be willing to "help"

// i got nutten.

besides, you got another CB that needs some loven.

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder
Maybe they will let you tidy up the evidence locker a bit. Should be good for one or 2 new Nortons :)

I'de be willing to "help"

// i got nutten.

besides, you got another CB that needs some loven.

whut you mean you got nutten? What happened to your Triumph?

The new CB will be denting the crap out of my wallet. I already see it coming. I keep riding it around the neighborhood (ape hangers and all) just for giggles .. and have a big shit eatin grin when I pull back in the garage.

MES

750cc
whut you mean you got nutten? What happened to your Triumph?

The new CB will be denting the crap out of my wallet. I already see it coming. I keep riding it around the neighborhood (ape hangers and all) just for giggles .. and have a big shit eatin grin when I pull back in the garage.

I still got that old beater. Been busy pounding her into the headboard. I figure next winter she's do for a engine rebuild.

//i got noutten loosely translates into... I'm just being a smart ass and not really advocating stealing evedence to finance the bike habit.

But on the off chance you do need some help.... I'm your man :)

We've never met, but I know you...... that CB will give you more pleasure than a new store bought Norton.

Show her the firm hand of love.
You know she wants it.

strokerlmt

The Norton is a beauty. But I really like my Bonneville now. Even if I had the $$$ ...which I don't....I don't think I would purchase one. If I do anything it will be to purchase a bonneville frame and start putting all the parts I have taken off my bike on a new British Racing Green frame. It would be fun to build a bike for my wife.
LMT

monty

Street Tracker
yeah - any brits here? Help me out - he pulls out a hotdog without a bun and compares it to the Bonneville.

To be honest chaps, I haven't got a clue. I'm not a fan of MCN and stopped buying it years ago. I wouldn't use this as an indication of which is the best. It's horses for courses really. If I had that sort of money I can think of a number of ways to spend it, as would the memsahib { Mrs Monty :worthy:}

A sporting single might push the buttons, Velocette Thruxton maybe. However the competition would be for a 67/68/69 bonnie or TT :rocks:

Oh yeah baby!!!!!!!!!

Oops , time for a lie down.

Monty.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I re-iterate.... I'm for any new bike making it. I will also re-iterate. I love my Bonnie and if I was to have only one bike in the garage I already have it. In a way it's a bit sad cuz I lust after no other bike right now. If the CB1100 ever gets to these shores then maybe I'll start showroom sniffing again.

I just hope Triumph doesn't get a hair up it's ass and try to out-Norton the new Norton and in the process kill the Bonnie.:huh:

hankmarx

750cc
The Bonnie and the new Norton are two totally different price points. Not very fair to compare the two. Kinda of like when all the motorcycle mags wanted to compare the Bonneville and the Ducatti GT.

That being said, I want a new Norton bad.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Info off of their site:

http://www.nortonmotorcycles.com/dealers/

Engine type: Parallel twin with push-rod valve actuation, dry sump
Displacement: 961cc
Cooling system: Air
Valve actuation: Push rod, hydraulic lifter, 2 valves per cylinder
Bore x stroke: 88mm x 79mm
Compression ratio: 10.1:1
Power: 80PS @ 6500RPM
Torque: 90Nm @ 5200RPM
Ignition: Crank fired electronic
Euro 3 compliant with electronic fuel injection and multiple 3 way catalytic converter

Fuel tank capacity: 17 litres (4.5 US gallon)
Dry weight: 188kg (414.5 lbs)
Seat height: 813mm (32 in)
Steering: Fully machined billet yokes, triple clamp lower yokes
Handlebars: Tubular steel in chrome

---------

If BSA were to make a new bike in the same fashion, I don't know how, but I would get one in my garage.

GuyM

Street Tracker
So the Norton is more powerful, lighter, and far more expensive... I like it! Those Nortons look terrific!

But, out of my range too I'd say. :) I'll stick with the Scram and dream about a TPUSA motor warm-up someday...

I have to say I agree with you all it seems. Of course i have a soft spot for Nortons and would not turn one down. In fact I would purchase one if could afford another. But not at the expense of my baby bon. She is forever, and no other bike for me could replace her.

ssjones

750cc
The one tester says it's an "800 Triumph", I guess he rounded down or that's the metric system.
I was wondering what that red stick was the other dude pulled out of his meal. Wow, hot dog, would not have guessed that. Do you Brit's really eat those things?