carbs 3 - tc dick 0

TC_Dick

TT Racer
So I have another carb problem.

carbs.jpg

The rubber diaphragm on the carb that's been giving me trouble, i can't get it back into place. it seems too big. you can see how folded up it is in the picture above.

any tips/suggestions on how to get it back into place?

ssjones

750cc
Mine have always just sort of slipped back into the groove that holds it in place. When you took the caps off, they were like that?

a little thick grease or vaseline in the groove will help hold the rubber in place while you fit the diaphrams back in. I have to use a little almost every time i pull the diaphrams

TC_Dick

TT Racer
the right side carb (pictured bottom) wasn't quite like that when I took the cap off, but as soon as it was off, the diaphragm popped out of place. I'll try some grease, but I'm not sure even that will hold it in.. the diaphragm just seems too large.

nohawk

Rocker
Pretty sure carb cleaner can swell the diaphragm. I know it will swell the o rings in brake calipers

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Hot water in a bowl...warm sun, enjoy a beer and let it warm up...above a heater, is it still cold where you are?...

Don't nuke it.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
So I replaced the vacuum pump with a new one (3.0mm hole), put new jets in (140/42 that I got with the NARK), added a shim under the needle, and set the enrichener to 2.5 turns and I'm still having some trouble. It doesn't seem to be leaking gas anymore, but it coughs back in the left hand carb at idle, then stalls out.

I checked the seat of the diaphragm and blew a little air into the needle hole, and things seem better, but it still coughs a bit.. Could running too rich be the cause of the cough?

Any thoughts you guys might have would be appreciated, I still don't really know shit about carbs.

Nick Morey

Rocker
You might try adjusting your pilot adjustment screws somewhat. I turned them in about !/2 a turn at a time (keeping them the same), readjusting idle as I did... then blipping throttle, listening for exhaust pop to say it's too lean, and then backing out pilot adjusting screws 1/4 turn past popping, always readjusting idle speed, and not letting the engine get too hot. Might work...

TC_Dick

TT Racer
You might try adjusting your pilot adjustment screws somewhat. I turned them in about !/2 a turn at a time (keeping them the same), readjusting idle as I did... then blipping throttle, listening for exhaust pop to say it's too lean, and then backing out pilot adjusting screws 1/4 turn past popping, always readjusting idle speed, and not letting the engine get too hot. Might work...

Yeah, I'll give that a shot. I did also find that one of the vacuum caps is cracked. dunno if it has a hole, but it definitely is cracked.

Nick Morey

Rocker
Definitely should be replaced, may be thowing your carbs out of sync. I'd replace that first before doing anything else.

Last edited:

TC_Dick

TT Racer
Definitely should be replaced, may be thowing your carbs out of sync. I'd replace that first before doing anything else.

That's gonna have to wait a bit. it looks like the gas that filled up my airbox may have drained down the oil breather and into the crankcase. that would explain why what smelled like oil and gas were spitting out the breather.

grr.