Need Help Bonne SE 09 EFI Need Better Seat

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
Hi guys I have had my bonne for about six months and have started doing a lot longer rides. I have looked at the sticky thread on seats but found no info on the Triumph Accessorie Seat Alcantara Grey Velour. I like the look of the seat but aesthetics are second to function, I was woundering if it is a gel seat, I need something more comfortable than the scoloped seat. So what is the best place in oz to source one and what type. Other than Peter Stevens Motorcycle Stores as they are very expensive. Am I better importing a seat and what seats to you recommend for the EFI Bonneville SE

Thanks heaps for your time and advice guys I really appreciate your help

:rocket::worthy::wave:

Attachments

• IMGP0908-2.JPG
    IMGP0908-2.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 0

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
You need an '09 or '10 level seat because the pans on the EFI bikes are slightly bigger to house the electronics under seat. Pretty much all EFI bonny, trux or scrambler seats will fit and likely be a comfort improvement. The std. bonny was deliberately made shorter including 1/2" shorter pad for those that are more inseam challenged. You can also have your seat modded to build up the scalloped portion you mention. Finding a gel seat isn't necessarily a good idea in Austrailia because of the climate. Gel is like a heat sink and retains heat. An EFI thuxton contemporary seat would be a good choice for your bike aesthetically and offer a comfort improvement. Seats are a pretty personal choice and good luck in your search.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Ben's in Melbourne, that's like the South Pole.
I see. Even in the midwest of the US, I personally am not a fan of gel seats.
No offense to those that like them. I don't like the heat retention aspect on an an air (+ oil) cooled motorcycle. Personal preference really and we are fortunate to have many good choices for our bike. I ride the stock seat without the strap although maybe not a good long distance seat but pretty good for general riding.

Last edited:

sportyone

Street Tracker
Hi guys I have had my bonne for about six months and have started doing a lot longer rides. I have looked at the sticky thread on seats but found no info on the Triumph Accessorie Seat Alcantara Grey Velour. I like the look of the seat but aesthetics are second to function, I was woundering if it is a gel seat, I need something more comfortable than the scoloped seat. So what is the best place in oz to source one and what type. Other than Peter Stevens Motorcycle Stores as they are very expensive. Am I better importing a seat and what seats to you recommend for the EFI Bonneville SE

Thanks heaps for your time and advice guys I really appreciate your help

:rocket::worthy::wave:

G'day Ben,

Noel at Peter Stevens triumph spares Melbourne has I believe a brown thruxton contemporary seat @ half price I think, give him a call.
tell him I told you, he will help you I'm sure good luck :shh:

how is your bike going anyway it's looks good, will catch up sometime for a ride :)

Last edited:
I had the factory gel seat on my Street Triple and never noticed a problem with the seat being hotter than other bikes that I've had.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
I had the factory gel seat on my Street Triple and never noticed a problem with the seat being hotter than other bikes that I've had.
Its pretty universal across all bike brands. Do a search. The cells in traditional foam contain air pockets that are a natural thermal barrier. Gel is homogeneous and hence why it acts as a heat sink or a cold pack. Nature of the beast. The reason why gel is popular is because it displaces laterally to assume the shape of one's bottom. This is good and bad. Good because in theory gel has better load distribution but its crummy in shear allowing less lateral restraint. All what you prefer. Some like 'em to be sure.

Its pretty universal across all bike brands. Do a search. The cells in traditional foam contain air pockets that are a natural thermal barrier. Gel is homogeneous and hence why it acts as a heat sink or a cold pack. Nature of the beast. The reason why gel is popular is because it displaces laterally to assume the shape of one's bottom. This is good and bad. Good because in theory gel has better load distribution but its crummy in shear allowing less lateral restraint. All what you prefer. Some like 'em to be sure.

From my one and only gel seat experience (my Street Triple) I found in practical terms no problem with heat. I'm not having a go at you but, I do think a lot of people theorize too much.

Norvel

Two Stroke
I put the Solo Seat with Rack on my SE.

Love it.

Attachments

• Bike82209 008.jpg
    Bike82209 008.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 0
I'm not having a go at you but, I do think a lot of people theorize too much.

I have the scrambler in gel and I can assure u in hot weather, I find my ass gets wet from seat. This does not happen with the stock. Its easily fixed in my case tho as i just swap seats. But also the scrambler is wider and does not have stitching, so maybe that has something to do with the heat retention as well. But I personally dont like gel and would prefer the scrambler seat without.

I have the scrambler in gel and I can assure u in hot weather, I find my ass gets wet from seat. This does not happen with the stock. Its easily fixed in my case tho as i just swap seats. But also the scrambler is wider and does not have stitching, so maybe that has something to do with the heat retention as well. But I personally dont like gel and would prefer the scrambler seat without.

The gel seat on my Street Triple is much smaller than a Scrambler, then half was covered by a seat cowl. That may account for our different impressions. Also with all of my vehicles, I have a habit of parking, when practical, under cover or in the shade.

benjamindickens

Street Tracker
Some interesting thoughts guys, anyone in Australia had the same problem with the seat and what did they do and are they happy or should I just harden up! Thank you all for your input it is greatly appreciated and helps.

anyone in Australia had the same problem with the seat and what did they do and are they happy or should I just harden up!

Harden up yr Vic Wuz :)

But I do think a rework is yr best option here in Oz. Just check out any upholsterers, and if 6ft or more the extra padding is great for making bike height better.
Some reworks and extra padded are shown here
http://www.newbonnevilleriders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3937&page=9

When I have time to see an upholsterer, then one of those three shown on link is what i will be doing with my stock

crikket44

Scooter
Anyone have any photos of a gunslinger in any color than black. It looks like you can order them in a boatload of colors, even three different colors on one seat, side, back, and ass part. I have a green Bonnie, and would love to try a brown or burgundy snake skin or alligator. Any thoughts?

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Corbin will make 'em in whatever color you like. I believe there's a Corbin store in CALI somewhere, if you can go there. They have what seems like 500 colors and prints, different skins whatever. But some people have had fitment problems with them, so I would reccomend going to the store if possible and having them fit it when it's done, so if there are any probs you can hand it back to be corrected instead of going thru the "back and forth" return thing.