Seat quick release refined

daleCarlsbad

Scooter
For those that are contemplating purchasing the Sargent Cycle Fast Access Pins, these pins work great….although you will need to refine them with a simple fix.

As delivered, the pins, once installed, have too large of a gap between the pin’s washer and the rear tabs on the seat. This will allow the seat to work its way aft and become loose.

To eliminate this movement, purchase a few ¾-inch long steel spacers at the hardware store and install one on each pin as shown.

I tried the knurled knob pins from British Customs, New Bonneville, etc. however, they never seemed to be secure enough without tightening with an Allen wrench…..which kind of defeats the purpose!

These Sargent Cycle pins are truly a quick easy way to remove the seat and once installed correctly, they are very secure.

You will need to drill out the threads with a ¼-inch drill bit to install……and….do not slide the washer onto the pin before installing the spacer as the washer has a rubber back that will seat in the pin’s groove. Once there…..it will not slide back off!!!!!!!

http://www.sargentcycle.com/acfastaccess.htm

IMG_0002-4.jpg

IMG_0001-9.jpg

IMG_0003-10.jpg

IMG_0013-4.jpg

Last edited:

KingBear

Hooligan
Good tip, thanks! I've been contemplating the purchase of extended seat bolts but I might have to go with this arrangement instead. Looks very handy.

ggRAT

Street Tracker
+1 for the Sargent Fast Access Pins.

The pins I bought from Sargent came with some clear rubber tubing that was used to create a "custom" spacer for each pin. Worked fine for me, but there's always a "better way" to do just about anything.

Below are my comments from an earlier thread.
GREG

To update this thread, I installed the Sargent Fast Access Pins a few weeks ago, and I really, really like them. I put two of them on the seat and one on each of the side covers. Removal of the seat and side covers couldn't be easier...if you know how to recognize and operate the pins. Highly recommended modification.

derby boy

Two Stroke
The sargent looks like it will work well. Another alternative is a simple lock-pin that you can pick up at Ace hardware, or go online to www.McMaster.com they have a large selection of lock-pins. The simple push/pulls are only about $2.00 ea. They have ones similar to Sargent's at around the same price, but you can get them in usable lengths from 1/2" to 4".
McMaster-Carr is a industrial supplier with hundreds of thousands of parts such as knobs, bolts, pressure gauges, you name it. Very handy for those of us that like to fabricate our own shit.

Last edited:

Hedge

American Infidel
They look great and I'm sure they are secure but I have the knurled ones that can be bought off of any of the 3 main vendors and I have never need to go beyond hand tightening them on to keep the seat on. The main thing to keep in mind is how easily access able are the bolts your using in relationship to the back of your seat. For me I can easily grab them turn them out and pull the solo seat and put on the K&Q seat inside of 5 min and take the wife out for a ride.

The sargent looks like it will work well. Another alternative is a simple lock-pin that you can pick up at Ace hardware, or go online to www.McMaster.com they have a large selection of lock-pins. The simple push/pulls are only about $2.00 ea. They have ones similar to Sargent's at around the same price, but you can get them in usable lengths from 1/2" to 4".
McMaster-Carr is a industrial supplier with hundreds of thousands of parts such as knobs, bolts, pressure gauges, you name it. Very handy for those of us that like to fabricate our own shit.

Do you know the exact size for the simple lock-pin? I plan on going to Ace hardware to see if they have them. If not, I guess I'll take the plunge and order from Sargent Cycle or McMaster-Carr

Texas94fs

Hooligan
And yet another thing I need to add to the list for the track slut. . .sheesh. Well I guess having a spare thrux as a track bike comes first