2 to right side need thoughts and advice

strokerlmt

So I have 60 bucks worth of old pipe, grinder, pipe cutter and hack saw.... and I have been messing with a T-Bird like 2 to right side. I woild really appreciate any thoughts, comments, advice. The left header is now 3 inches longer than rt......will that make a difference with flow. Oh...forget teh blue tap...the pipes line up fine and will be parallel.
Thx is advance as always.....
LMT

Attachments

• IMG_5338.jpg
    IMG_5338.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5339.jpg
    IMG_5339.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5341.jpg
    IMG_5341.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5343.jpg
    IMG_5343.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 0

strokerlmt

Nick......I don't run with a cross over pipe now as per Matt and Carlos' suggestion. Mufflers are straight thru......I just do not know enough about pressure and flow to know if the extra length makes a difference....I should just call Carlos today.
LMT

strokerlmt

Almost done.......I had a local gent do the tig welding and grinding. Thought he did a pretty good job. It is solid to teh heades but no gooo yet and used old copper gaskets. Clamps on with no goooo yet and Dominators need some 2 part expoxy in small dent and a re paint. I haven't BBQ painted yet because I want to go for a run. Once I know teh 3 inches on the left header doesn'y make a difference then I will paint and gooo everything up.

.....number of hours in the garage, lots....respect for RodBurner and Sweatmachine, all fabricators and home garage mechanics ERNORMOUSand growing....total expense $120.00 in old pipe and welding.

Attachments

• IMG_5360.jpg
    IMG_5360.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5364.jpg
    IMG_5364.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5354.jpg
    IMG_5354.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5353.jpg
    IMG_5353.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5355.jpg
    IMG_5355.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5356.jpg
    IMG_5356.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5358.jpg
    IMG_5358.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5359.jpg
    IMG_5359.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 0

rodburner

Rocker
Looks awesome, Lach. Guess I couldn't persuade you to fishmouth those cans to wrap around the shocks a little tighter eh?
Dadsbikepics945.jpg

And about those 3 extra inches. The longer pipe side will have much more torque and basically tear the engine in two,OR, at least in my experience,make no difference at all.

strokerlmt

Steve......Well I went for a GREATTTT ride and the bike didn't blow up....still have the same pick up....no down shift popping......It sounds great, Dominator growllllll.
YES, you can easily convince me to scalloop the dominators......my guy can't do it....can I mail them to you ;-))))))
LMT

rodburner

Rocker
YES, you can easily convince me to scalloop the dominators......my guy can't do it....can I mail them to you ;-))))))
LMT[/QUOTE]

It was pretty simple.That rusty concave part is the inside of that pipe,cut out in a circle,flipped over,turned 90 degrees and welded back in.Ride that sucker until next fall,then I'll try to help you out with some nip/tuck.
Dadsbikepics960.jpg

strokerlmt

So I BBQ'ed the new header BUT I have wrapped it because it is real close to some engine parts and I want a buffer for now and see what happend with movement and heat ......the dominators have 3 new coats of BBQ on them......wrap has been sprayed and drying now so hopefully tomorrow pM I can start to put bac together......
SweatMachine, Rodburner OR anyone else.......I will now have 2 muff's on the rt side. Tonite I was staring at the muffler bracket on the left side.
( my wife does not ride with me ...but she is athletic, strong, coordinated and I think we are close to her having her own bike.....)....point is I don't need strength on left side muffler bracket......
Any ideas to cut off BUT have some way to bolt back on......that way I loose the wt and look but can put bac on for a normal 2 to 2.....
Good nite...
LMT

nohawk

Rocker
LMT, Man your bike is now perfect. You should really start thinking about getting another one to mess with or I can bring mine to live at your place for awhile and you can mess with it. As far as the exhaust length or tuned length goes I don't think it will matter much, I think it's really an issue for gaining HP in a certain rev range and you gotta look at things like valve over lap and even intake tuned length to really make it work, Idk but let us now what the South Bay guys tell ya if you ask them. I'd be Interested to know more and tell me more about your oil cooler set up. Extremly sick ride you got

henrys

Street Tracker
What silencers are those and what is the diameter of the pipe? I've kicked around the idea of making my own exhaust.

strokerlmt

NoHawk.......thx ......if I quit messing with it what will I do ;-)
I'm going to try and go to Lomita and see Matt and Carlos for a dyno. The exhaust system seems fine. The oil cooler is from Bill Gately in Florida and it is extremely well made, small and efficient.
LMT

jhillier71

Street Tracker
Almost done.......I had a local gent do the tig welding and grinding. Thought he did a pretty good job. It is solid to teh heades but no gooo yet and used old copper gaskets. Clamps on with no goooo yet and Dominators need some 2 part expoxy in small dent and a re paint. I haven't BBQ painted yet because I want to go for a run. Once I know teh 3 inches on the left header doesn'y make a difference then I will paint and gooo everything up.

.....number of hours in the garage, lots....respect for RodBurner and Sweatmachine, all fabricators and home garage mechanics ERNORMOUSand growing....total expense $120.00 in old pipe and welding.

where the heck did you get those oil coolers?

strokerlmt

JH71....oil coolers...Performancebonneville...Bill Gately....Florida......

Henrys......stock 1.5 inch headers with dominators from Carlos Southbay Triumph

LMT

So I BBQ'ed the new header BUT I have wrapped it because it is real close to some engine parts and I want a buffer for now and see what happend with movement and heat ......the dominators have 3 new coats of BBQ on them......wrap has been sprayed and drying now so hopefully tomorrow pM I can start to put bac together......
SweatMachine, Rodburner OR anyone else.......I will now have 2 muff's on the rt side. Tonite I was staring at the muffler bracket on the left side.
( my wife does not ride with me ...but she is athletic, strong, coordinated and I think we are close to her having her own bike.....)....point is I don't need strength on left side muffler bracket......
Any ideas to cut off BUT have some way to bolt back on......that way I loose the wt and look but can put bac on for a normal 2 to 2.....
Good nite...
LMT

I would just leave the left side bracket alone. Mine is hanging out there in no man's land, only used for the passenger peg. I use my passenger pegs a lot while riding so I haven't messed with removing them.

strokerlmt

Sweatmachine.......probably good advice......I hate messing with welded shit....thats why we agreed on the bolt on hard tail ;-)))))
LMT