Travelling Wobblys

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Eventually made it to Big White after a slight hiccup. WestJet cancelled our flight to Kelowna due to mechanical problems with the aircraft. Good they picked it up before we took off. After 4 hour wait at Van. airport, they got us on a flight to Kelowna via Calgary. That meant we flew over Kelowna to get to Calgary. Change of province, change of aircraft, change of time zone, man, they could've given us a parachute and drop us out over Kelowna. Save us a lot of hassle. Anyways, (shit, I'm already starting to talk like a Canadian) we eventually got to Big White late last night.
An aside, the cab trip up to BW from Kelowna was in a Toyota Prius....they are one wierd automobile, especially on the icy roads. Gutless on hills.

BW has a 200cm base and although it was +6 degrees C today, skiing and boarding conditions are fucking great!! Certainly shits all over Australian Snow fields. Hired all the gear this afternoon for a week. Will ski all day tomorrow. Hope the old knees hold out.
sanjuro, had poutine for lunch today....love it, really nice washed down with a couple of Molson Canadian beers.:beer:

Diggin this whole experience. Met some fantastic folk, really friendly.

Take it easy, but take it,
wobbly:canada::australia:

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Koifarm,
Sorry man, won't have time to get down your way. Next time, and there WILL be a next time, we'll do the southern states.

wobbly

Rocker

Two Stroke
At least there shouldn't be any language barrier, most of the staff in the bars out there seem to be from Oz. (And I mean either Oz Toto)
Welcome to the Great White North eh?

wobblygong

Street Tracker
At least there shouldn't be any language barrier, most of the staff in the bars out there seem to be from Oz. (And I mean either Oz Toto)
Welcome to the Great White North eh?

You're not wrong Rocker. Aussies everywhere here at BW. The fact that an Aussie owns it might have something to do with it.
Great White North? You're not wrong there either. Skied Wednesday in perfect blue skies on the 200cm base. Started snowing heavily Thursday night and continued all day Friday. 36 cms of fresh snow..powder, powder, powder!!! Base is now 231cms and it's Sunday morning and it's snowing AGAIN! This is no "flurries", man! I am soooo sore!
As sweatmachine says "if there's no pics, it didn't happen".
Here are some pics.

Attachments

• P3260196.jpg
    P3260196.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 0
  • P3260198.jpg
    P3260198.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 0

jhillier71

Street Tracker
You're not wrong Rocker. Aussies everywhere here at BW. The fact that an Aussie owns it might have something to do with it.
Great White North? You're not wrong there either. Skied Wednesday in perfect blue skies on the 200cm base. Started snowing heavily Thursday night and continued all day Friday. 36 cms of fresh snow..powder, powder, powder!!! Base is now 231cms and it's Sunday morning and it's snowing AGAIN! This is no "flurries", man! I am soooo sore!
As sweatmachine says "if there's no pics, it didn't happen".
Here are some pics.

I'm jealous that you are getting frresh powder, you're lucky as this time of year can be hit or miss.

It'good to see you're not a SPORE either (Stupid Prick On Rental Euipment). Enjoy :canada:, the True North Strong and Free.

justmadeup

Scooter
I love that hill, watch out for snow ghosts, ski the cliffs and you and the missus have one in Snowshoe Sam's for me. Been there lots but only in winter, there are some highways I'd like to ride..

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I loved that show.

Tv_hi_wildthornberrys.jpg

wobblygong

Street Tracker
I love that hill, watch out for snow ghosts, ski the cliffs and you and the missus have one in Snowshoe Sam's for me. Been there lots but only in winter, there are some highways I'd like to ride..

jmu, another 6 cms of fresh overnight...powder is giving my knees HELL!!

Had dinner at Snowshoe Sam's last night...lamb shanks, New York steak followed by Shotgun coffee....Keith's the Man!!

Do NOT want to leave this place.

Can't believe the price of a condo here...200k get you a brand new, furnished apartment with ski in/ski out, fabulous views and garage.

Off to Vancouver Wednesday for 4 days....the caravan rolls on.

the wobblys

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Sounds like y'all are having a blast! Keep at it and tear up some powder for the NBR folks! Oh yea. . . you can send me a steak too if ya want. Enjoy the rest of your travels! Oh and we expect pictures, and a women report for the area (preferrably with pictures as well)

wobblygong

Street Tracker
More pics coming when I get to Van., Texas. Using my son's laptop which won't accept my XD card. There are some babes here, but well covered up. They closed the snowboard park off yesterday to the general public to hold a private function. Rumour has it that some celeb booked out the whole area.
Don't know who it was but there seemed to be a lot of the "beautiful people" around last night. Carvers and Sams were packed.
coop, thanks for the info on the m/c collection. Just looked a the map and it's not far from where we're staying. Hope we've got time. The leader of the opposition might have something to say about that. She has an "itinerary", if you know what I mean! You've been to Van., there's so much to see, so little time.

catch'ya

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Reached the end of our stay in Vancouver. Tomorrow we fly to Toronto where we jump a bus to Niagara Falls for 2 nights.
Love Vancouver. An interesting city. A little like Sydney without the temperate weather. Great vibe! And food....!!
Took in the usual touristy sites like Stanley Park, Granville Island, Gastown. Froze our butts off on the horse drawn tram thru Stanley Park and walking thru Gastown. Rained all day with strong winds whipping off the snow covered mountains. Don't know how the homeless & crack heads around Gastown handle it. Too out of it to notice or care, I guess.
Enjoyed a great night at Yuk Yuks Comedy Club Thursday. Pissed ourselves laughing (helped along by the Okanagan wine and the Molson Canadians we had upstairs before the show)....GOOD value!!
Escaped the rain and the cold winds of Good Friday by checking out the Vancouver Car Show at BC Place. Took lots of pics of the cars and motorcycles but some prick wanted my camera more than I did and nicked it from my bag while I was sitting in the new Chevy Malibu. Luckily I download all my photos to my laptop every night so I've lost only what I'd taken that day. Went to Future Shop on Robson today and picked up a new Lumix digital camera with all the bells & whistles. The auto-exposure on the old camera was playing up anyway. Note to self...hit the insurance company up when I get home.
Didn't get to Deely's motorcyle museum this time. Mrs Wobbly wanted to splash out this afternoon and take High Tea at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver .....very upmarket for a an old, balding, grey bearded dag from Oz.

catch'ya

Attachments

• Canada US Trip 2010 116.jpg
    Canada US Trip 2010 116.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Canada US Trip 2010 102.jpg
    Canada US Trip 2010 102.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Canada US Trip 2010 132.jpg
    Canada US Trip 2010 132.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

wobblygong

Street Tracker
A P.S. for all the Canadians.....I am really pissed off that we leave tomorrow as we won't be in Vancouver for the Canucks hockey game Sunday.

I could REALLY grow to love hockey. Watched a lot of it on TV over the past two weeks and I don't of any sport as fast and exciting.

Mate, very happy for you enjoying your self in another one of the colonies.
What are the pads that the horses are standing on for?

Yeah, that was one of the things I thought of, another is frozen ground therefore insulating the horses feet, or while just standing on hard ground preserving the life of the shoes? Who knows for sure?

wobblygong

Street Tracker
Kevin, what thearticsea says is right. The horses stand for long periods waiting to be put into action. On a cold windy day, they may stand for hours as there are few tourists brave enough, or stupid enough, to take the tour.
Not sure which category Clare & I fall into, but we took the tour and were glad we did. Thermal underwear, gloves, a scarf and the good old reliable Drizabone jacket helped.
In Niagara Falls today, Easter Monday. Pick up the rental car tomorrow in Buffalo NY and hit the road. Pity it's not a bike but nevertheless looking forward to that leg of the journey.

Have enjoyed Canada. It's a great country but they have got to get rid of their small coins. I've managed to collect a mountain of 1 cent, 5 cent and 10 cent coins. They fill your pocket in a very short period of time and with no effort from yourself. Canada missed the opportunity to recall the small coins when they hosted the recent Winter Olympics. They should have done what Australia did back in 2000 and recall 1 & 2 cent coins to melt them done to make the Olympic medals. Australia rounded out the currency so if something was $2.98 or $2.99, it became $3.00 or if it was $2.91 or $2.92, it was rounded out to $2.90.
Do that and you can get rid of some of those small FUCKING coins.

Oh, and while you're at it, include GST in the total listed price. Nothing is more frustrating than when you decide to purchace something thinking it's say, $25 and be told it's $28.50 with GST added. Picky I know but I hate that. Gets worse when the price of the purchace gets higher.

catch'ya