Best Airbox Removal Kit for Scrambler?

taw1126

Scooter
I've looked at all three of these:

http://www.british-customs.com/triumph-scrambler-900-air-box-removal-kit.html

http://www.newbonneville.com/html/airbox_removal_kit.html

http://www.bellacorse.com/bce010.htm

Since I'll have to pay taxes on the kit from NewBonneville.com, all three will cost me about the same amount of money. Right now I'm leaning towards the BellaCorse kit, but I'd like to know who has tried what, and how well the kits worked on the Scrambler. If I remember correctly, the NewBonneville.com kit has some issues fitting the right side Scrambler cover?

thistle66

Scooter
yep, the NB kit needs some help to make it fit the Scram - unless it's changed in the last couple months. I think the British Customs takes care of that (dont quote me...). dunno bout the Bellacorse kit.

yep, the NB kit needs some help to make it fit the Scram - unless it's changed in the last couple months. I think the British Customs takes care of that (dont quote me...). dunno bout the Bellacorse kit.

Have recently fitted the NB kit to our 09 efi Scram and found that the right side plastic cover is unsecured unless you do a simple mod as in the pics below. I emailed the details to Brent so he might incorporate the mod into his instructions in the future. The bolt and stepped washer were left overs from the OEM parts when I did the installation.
Scrambler003-8.jpg

Scrambler002-11.jpg

Scrambler004-5.jpg

The fitting of the NARK has resulted in a HP gain of 3.4hp and 2N-m so all in all, highly worthwhile.
Scrambler001-10.jpg

Last edited:

taw1126

Scooter
I let this project die over the winter, but with the last couple of weeks of dry & warmer weather I'm ready to get a kit installed. Anyone else want to chime in? I'm still leaning towards the BellaCorse kit.

taw1126

Scooter
The fitting of the NARK has resulted in a HP gain of 3.4hp and 2N-m so all in all, highly worthwhile.
Dave-
What other mods were already done? Exhaust & jets, I assume?

I pulled the snorkel, re-jetted, and installed Norman Hyde slip-ons last summer and was amazed at the difference over stock. I was hoping to get the same magnitude seat-of-the-pants boost by installing a NARK and bigger jets.

tdipalma

Scooter
BC sells a kit made for the Scram which incorporates hangers for wiring and whatnot.
1 year later and still working fine.

Mr. T

taw1126

Scooter
BC sells a kit made for the Scram which incorporates hangers for wiring and whatnot.
1 year later and still working fine.

Mr. T
Duly noted...as well as BC's new (?) price-matching form. Waiting to see if they'll sell for the same price as BellaCorse.

Craigore

TT Racer
I'd ask around to see who might honor a 10% discount for NBR forum members. I know that NewBonneville used to, but not anymore. No reason to buy from them anymore, HAHA. The stuff I've gotten from them in the past leaves a little to be desired.

In the end I'd just go with the cheapest solution. Oh, and TPUSA is a really good company, I'd look at them.

whyme

TT Racer
I just ordered the BC kit with a 10% off coupon. I also ordered a stainless screw set and d tool from bella but I liked the BC kit better. After discounts it came out to $290 plus shipping.

whyme

TT Racer
Finally got it! 22 days later...dang!! Good deal though with the 10% off for new account sign in. I'll probably install this upcoming week.

whyme

TT Racer
Finally started the install tonight-been swamped at work. I'm going to "work from home" tomorrow and finish (working on the scram that is!) Not too bad. Does the stock airbox have some type of sealant on the side panels? Looks like epoxy almost-all over the gaskets. Pretty sloppy if it was factory. I don't see how the fuse box connects yet either on the exhaust side. Quick look did not seem obvious. I'll take some shots tomorrow.

whyme

TT Racer
OK...geez that was like night and day!!! Balls to the wall!! That's the best money I ever spent. It already had TORS on it so I did the 140s with 3 turns out. Has a little stumble if I blip the throttle at 3-4k rpms. Any ideas on that?? which way with the mixture screw. I need some help from real mechanics.

Here is what I found with the BC kit. 2 of the supplied bolts that hold the battery box did not fit so I had to use the old ones. The fuse side bracket had a bolt that was a bitch to get in, you may be better installing the bracket on the box first and the putting the box in. The crank case breather hose needs to be cut down to a smaller section of tubing closer to where it comes out of the crank case. Even when that is done, the white plastic part that connects does not fit tight, I cranked up the clamp and it is still a bit loose. It would be better to have a larger connector for this.

Do yourself a favor and remove the rear fender too....much easier and it's only 4 bolts and a wire connector

well worth the money!

Nick Morey

Rocker
...It already had TORS on it so I did the 140s with 3 turns out. Has a little stumble if I blip the throttle at 3-4k rpms. Any ideas on that?? which way with the mixture screw. I need some help from real mechanics...

You might try adjusting your pilot adjustment screws. Adjust in 1/2 a turn at a time until exhaust starts popping (too lean). Then go out 1/4 turn.

nah, I ain't a real mechanic, but I had same problem with my bike. :D

Nick Morey

Rocker
ahhh what's that? The D shape screw?? - Yes.
see, you know more than me! - That's open to debate!
thanks - You're welcome. Of course, it could be something else...

whyme

TT Racer
Thanks Nick!!

OK...so 140s and 3 turns smells rich at idle and it hesitates with a little blip of the throttle. 2.5 turns is stlll rich-smell fuel when I'm stopped. I have the TORs.
. . Pipes are blueing fast now. Can I drop it down to 2 turns or should I rip it all apart and put in the 135s?? Any help from you pros would be appreciated. 100 mph came quick on the highway this morning and man does it howl when you are cranking it!! Sounds great.

When I installed the battery box from BC the side allen screws would not go in all the way. Same length as original bolts. Called Sean and he sent me a whole envelope of new screws. Great service!! Still the same. Back to the original bolts. Anyone else have this problem? I don't want to strip out those tabs and really crank on the allen screws-it does not feel right. seems kind of like soft metal on the threads. I can just leave the original bolts, but I like the stainless fasteners.