Alpina STS Rim Color: Black or Silver?

thistle66

Scooter
black rims will need black hubs. I'm a big fan of black but silver would be best for ur ride, imo.

edit; didnt notice how late I am to this thread. I love the polished forks on the black bike. You might find you want to replace your big chrome rear light & indicators now... & then powdercoat or paint your headlight bucket black & I'll allow you to have black rims ;)

Last edited:

em_dot

Street Tracker
Thistle66: Polished Lucas style tail lights are on order. I am replacing the headlight bucket ears with black Joker Machine units. Depending on how it all looks I may ask D9 to paint my headlight bucket to match the speedo and tac cups that he made for me.

BlueJ: That bike isn't mine. It's Pepe's Thruxton. It inspired me to go do the black hubs/rims and polish my forks. Here's Pepe's blog: http://www.triumphbikes.de/

Pic of my polished forks in the project zone.

DandyDoug

750cc
I like the rims and hubs to match, the color doesn't bother me either way with the Red bike.
I am most interested in how the Alpina rim and lacing turns out. I take it those are the tubeless rims ?

coopv2

Street Tracker
I cant believe the wheels were sent over seas to get laced,
Can you please explain why such a simple procedure on a rim with a tube, require such an extravagant solution.
I just dont see the need for that. what am I missing here?

Craigore

TT Racer
WHAT? There are like, 3 reputable motorcycle shops here in Buffalo that I would trust to lace up a set of wheels... can't imagine sending them out to have it done.

em_dot

Street Tracker
I can lace wheels. Well... bicycle wheels and the 36h 3x front and 40h 2x rear on our bikes are pretty simple lacing patterns. Anyone can do it, but the art of wheel building is tentioning, truing, and retentioning while keeping the wheel true and round and uniformily tentioned.

The Alpina STS kit when laced properly is air-tight and therefore does not require an inner tube. Unfortunately, there's an o-ring and the kit requires specific torque specs to get these things sealed right. Having Alpina do it the first time, vice destroying a $1,200.00 kit was something I was happy to pay for. It wasn't any more expensive than sending it to CA for lacing.

em_dot

Street Tracker
I agree em_dot. Peace of mind? Priceless!

That's how I feel. From the time I was quoted a price until the time I was actually charged for the kit the Euro lost traction against the dollar, so lacing and return shipping from Italy will end up costing me about $130.00. Just worked out that way.

I know this is a Beta Test, but the way I look at it; chances are better than not that this will be an improvement. Big Bore kits aren't a mystery anymore because others on this Forum paved the way with their hard earned money. Some mods worked, others didn't (ie Wiesco vs Nikasil). I (we) reap the benefit of those that took the risk. Consider this my contribution. That, and I just want Alpina STS rims and tubeless radial tires...

BornAgain

Scooter
I like silver but you can't go wrong with either choice. Both would look great.

(yall is singular all ya'll is plural)

em_dot

Street Tracker
Alpina STS kit was done 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately I got the bike back the day before we were heading to Disney, and just haven't had time to post any pics. The handling is much inproved, over steel rims and stock rubber. I just don't know if it's the alloy rims, the radial tires (Avon Azaro-ST 110/80R19 Front; 140/80ZR17 Rear), or the SuperBrace. All are new to me.

Sorry this one is so crappy, but I had to get the GF's bike ready for White Lake (Sprint Triathlon). We're heading down in a few minutes. The nice part is I'm not racing this year. Just hanging out and maybe wrenching friends bikes if needed. This no stress before a race thing is really nice!

Anywho, here goes...

056.jpg

and Mama's hot rod:

059.jpg

More to come as soon as I can.