Alpina STS Rim Color: Black or Silver?

em_dot

Street Tracker
Hey Gang,

I've pulled the plug on a set of Alpina STS rims. It's down to black rims or silver (looks brushed not shiny). I'm leaning toward black myself, but I'd like all ya'll's opinion. If I go with black rims, I think I'll call Carlos and get black hubs too.

Time is getting short as I need to send my hubs to get laced in January. Seems sending the hubs to Italy to have Alpina lace them is not super expensive. There's a lot to these spoke nipples, and if they are installed incorrectly they won't seal. I'll be sending reports on this mod as I go.

(Note: I have it on good authority that "all ya'll" is plural for ya'll here in NC)

Here's an older pic of my bike:

Bonnie1.jpg

em_dot

Street Tracker
Yep, I can see it both ways. Initially, I thought Silver would be better, but then I did some searching for bikes with black rims. Most were Thruxtons. Here’s a couple of Bonnevilles with black rims that I really like:

Black-Bonnie.jpg

When I was at the International Motorcycle Show here in Seattle, the VME had on display an old Norton with painted rims. The outside of the rims were painted black with the center painted a silver/gray with gold pinstripe separating the two colors. It looked pretty sweet. I was thinking about doing it myself to my Black and white. I wonder what it would look like with a Claret pinstripe? Just an idea.

em_dot

Street Tracker
Well I chose to go with black hubs and black rims. Had Carlos (TP USA) powder coat my hubs. They came out really nice and have new bearings and seals. For the money, I couldn't do all that locally.

The hubs then got shipped to Alpina in Italy to get laced they should be back in a week or so. Once I get the Bonnie back, I'll write up the whole thing in the Project Zone. While the forks were off I polished the lower sliders. Pics in the Project Zone presently. My motivation? Pepe: Black rims and hubs, with polished forks. Wicked nice!

Pepe-Thruxton.jpg