Single side saddlebag

maxflhx

moped
15645s2.jpg

Used the NB single side bracket with 1/2 spacers to clear the shock. I'll need to find some rubber to cover the frame as it rattles a bit as is. It's a keyed quick release but I might bolt it thru the bottom and leave it on all the time as I'm always carrying a bunch of crap. Probably weighs less than 8 lbs, lines up within an inch of the muffler from the side and rear. I'm pretty happy with it overall.

Iceseven

750cc
Looks good! I was just looking at the side bracket yesterday on the NB website. In the past I have used Tool-dip rubber coating in a spray can, that may work for the rattle.

Like the color of the Scram!

DIRK

750cc
you might try a bit of facet washer from your local hardware. may have to drill out the hole but it will last a long time

Maxlhs,

What size ammo can is that?...or better question what calibre ammo can is that? I'm looking to do the same exact thing. How did you mount the ammo can to saddlebag bars?

maxflhx

moped
Tooblekain,

It's a 50mm can from a surplus store painted satin black. It's about big enough for water, lunch and a sweatshirt. I got the bracket and mounting plate from New Bonneville and used one inch bolts with 1/2 inch steel spacers between the can and the mounting plate. The spacers are needed to keep the can off of the shock. I haven't had time to resolve the rattle yet, the plate locks to the saddlebag bracket to the rear and that lets the front bounce a bit. It might be as easy as adding a rubber shim as suggested above or adding a bolt at the front bottom (there's a hole in the plate already) shouldn't be too much trouble when you want to remove it.

I'm seriously considering something similiar... may be visually off center but by far the cheapest option for a pseudo pannier. Does the box ever hit the shock over rough terrain?

I was only just looking at them and saw this posting. Am guessing this is the bracket you have.
Yes?
NB also state they have a scrambler specific bracket as well. But no picture appears for that one?.
Been carrying a bag on the pillion seat for ages but thinking of mounting it on one side.

luggage_brackets.jpg

luggage_brackets2.jpg

Last edited:

maxflhx

moped
It's the same bracket I used, New Bonnivlle also has a locking mounting plate to attach a hard bag. It might be available from other vendors but that's where I bought it. The Scrambler specific kit is just the left side. I shaved off the right side mounting attachment with a grinder because its not needed for the Scrambler.
Out of the box it sits 1/2 inch too close and will rub the shock. Easily fixed with a trip to the hardware store for spacers and bolts, $3.00 or $4.00 tops. I'll try to get a close up pic Sunday or Monday of mine mounted to the plate but looking at it in front of you it's simple to figure out without using too many brain cells(I should know).

maxflhx

moped
Here are (hopefully) some pics of the mounting setup I used.
On the bike
e8rhnd.jpg

Mounting bracket
mkja1g.jpg

Mounting plate
2a9e6ir.jpg

Angle view of mounting plate
sw4ebk.jpg

Kinda hard to see with it being black on black but you get the idea.
Hope this helps.

maxflhx

moped
And one showing how close the ammo can sits to the shock, with the spacers there is no chance of rubbing. Oh yea, I found there were two rubber bumpers I had forgotten to put on the bracket the first time around. No more rattle.
10ojqkw.jpg

Our club (BA Moto) has a couple guys who make these brackets for Scramblers and Bonnies. Here's one of the best pics I could dig up (on a Bonnie):

http://www.ba-moto.com/home/wp-content/gallery/bike-chief/junebackfinal.jpg

The brackets will fit either bike (Scrambler or Bonneville), and come with a "J-hook" option so if you want to stack up rolled items like sleeping bags, tents, etc. instead of a hard box ammo can, you can do that, too (the J-hook is removable).

If you're interested, PM me and I'll get your order going. Cost is $120 per bracket and your choice of J-hook or ammo can (we use 40mm cans so they don't stick out past your handlebars).

Check out a couple profile pages for more pics:

http://www.ba-moto.com/home/members/bender
http://www.ba-moto.com/home/members/chief
http://www.ba-moto.com/home/members/meat

hyena

moped
single side saddlebag

Hey maxflhx

I was inspired by what you did, so I ordered the bracket and quick release mount from NewBonneville. It came UPS today - great service from NB. But man, that bracket sure looks flimsy. I ordered a 20mm ammo can on line - nobody locally sells them. It hasn't come yet, but it's supposed to weigh 20 pounds. Dimensions are approx. 17" long, 14" high, 7.5" deep. I almost went with a 1550 Pelican at 10 pounds, but thought your ammo can looked better. I guess I'm used to looking at the Jesse mounting system on my GS. This bracket just doesn't look sturdy enough to hold a 20 pound can with anything in it. I won't be going off road with it - strictly paved and gravel roads.

At any rate, now that you've had it on for a while - how's it holding up to the weight of the ammo can?

Eurotech said they would have a single side bracket for the Srammy within a few weeks, and Happy Trails said they'd have a system out this fall, but I just got the bike, and didn't want to wait. Not to mention spending the $$$. (Yeah, I know the Jesses were $1150. :d)

Thanks.