CBR F3 Swap

Craigore

TT Racer
I just read bottle fed's post- freaking awesome.

Thanks for starting this thread.. I only knew of people using the F3 internals

You can use the Bonnie m/c, it can cope with two more pistons. I use a six pot caliper and it pulls me up very quick.

That's good to know too

You can use the Bonnie m/c, it can cope with two more pistons. I use a six pot caliper and it pulls me up very quick.

I beg to differ. My stock Bonnie m/c wasn't worth a damn with my sv650 dual disc setup, and I'm using the same 2 calipers that the cbr uses.

My recommendation: get a Rocket 3 m/c from Carlos, or make a cbr m/c work, or find a good sized HD m/c for 1" bars.

If you really want to go all out and get the best out of it then you should have a set of custom triples made to get the geometry #s more standard (talk to Carlos). I'de think they run about $200 or so.

that is probably not necessary. I'm running the factory sv650 trees, no tricks, and Thruxton-length shocks in the rear of my bike. No handling issues, other than handling better than a motha-focka

PieMan

Two Stroke
I beg to differ. My stock Bonnie m/c wasn't worth a damn with my sv650 dual disc setup, and I'm using the same 2 calipers that the cbr uses.

My recommendation: get a Rocket 3 m/c from Carlos, or make a cbr m/c work, or find a good sized HD m/c for 1" bars.

I s'pose it's down to individual taste. The OEM Bonnie setup with 11mm M/C and caliper with 2 x 26mm pistons gives a 12.2:1 ratio. Which to me, gave a very wooden on/off feel to the brakes.

My existing setup with 6 x 25mm pistons gives a ratio of 31:1, which wouldn't suit some people as it gives a very progressive feel to the lever, but still enables the front to lock.

With the CBR twin calipers you have 4 x 25mm pistons which gives a ratio of just over 20:1, this in theory, should give perfect feel for most people without that on/off brake feel.

But I know brake feel isn't always that mathematical.:chair:

Texas94fs

Hooligan
I s'pose it's down to individual taste. The OEM Bonnie setup with 11mm M/C and caliper with 2 x 26mm pistons gives a 12.2:1 ratio. Which to me, gave a very wooden on/off feel to the brakes.

My existing setup with 6 x 25mm pistons gives a ratio of 31:1, which wouldn't suit some people as it gives a very progressive feel to the lever, but still enables the front to lock.

With the CBR twin calipers you have 4 x 25mm pistons which gives a ratio of just over 20:1, this in theory, should give perfect feel for most people without that on/off brake feel.

But I know brake feel isn't always that mathematical.:chair:

Math aint all that it is, you arent just pushing two extra pistons, your are filling a whole other caliper with fluid along with all the extra line. Count in the expansion of the line and all that and basically you are asking the stock m/c to do twice the job it was originally intended to do.

Craigore

TT Racer
Where do you guys think is the best place to source the parts? I see on eBay, mostly only the rims are being sold. I want to buy a complete wheelset!

(am getting 2k back in my tax return this year!)

On a side note I might spring for the FCR 39's

Last edited:
I would scour ebay, craigslist, and also find a CBR forum and scan the classifieds. Also, a big motorcycle junkyard might be a good source too.

Craigore

TT Racer
I've had a lot of luck locating parts locally (a 1997 complete parts bike for $450) now I just have to decide if this is what I want to do.......

I've actually offered my bike for sale to a few friends who've shown interest in the past... I'd get a Speed triple to replace it

Does that make me a traitor?!?!?!?!?!

drlapo

Hooligan
I've had a lot of luck locating parts locally (a 1997 complete parts bike for $450) now I just have to decide if this is what I want to do.......

I've actually offered my bike for sale to a few friends who've shown interest in the past... I'd get a Speed triple to replace it

Does that make me a traitor?!?!?!?!?!

how much will you offer for a 2006 Neon Blue Speed Triple?

Craigore

TT Racer
Well there is a guy locally that's offering his 2008 speedy with 1,200 miles for $6500- i haven't even tried talking him down
So I am trying to jump all over that

edit: by local I mean he's near albany, didn't realize that you are in CT, was just there last weekend. it's not too bad of a drive.

You want a Bonnie+ some of my tax return??? haha

Last edited:

drlapo

Hooligan
Well there is a guy locally that's offering his 2008 speedy with 1,200 miles for $6500- i haven't even tried talking him down
So I am trying to jump all over that

edit: by local I mean he's near albany, didn't realize that you are in CT, was just there last weekend. it's not too bad of a drive.

You want a Bonnie+ some of my tax return??? haha

check out my listing in Bikes for Sale from last spring
who knows I may be convinced to let it go
my bike has around 5000 miles and a fresh set of fat bars

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Any updates Texas94?

Have some of the parts, in the process of packing and whatnot as I move here this next weekend so its on the backburner. I still need the front forks and wheel with rotors, then I'll test fit it all and send the wheels, fork lowers, and calipers off to be powdercoated. Wheels will probably be black, the calipers too, thinking of a dark grey for the fork lowers. Only issue I see is the speedo cable and I'm not sure if the same f3 rear wheel bearings can be used.

Only issue I see is the speedo cable and I'm not sure if the same f3 rear wheel bearings can be used.

you're going to lose your stock speedo. Prob won't be able to make it work. I could not use the stock speedo with my sv650 front end due to the SV's hall-effect (electronic) speedo sensor vs the Bonnie's cable-driven mechanical speedo. I run a small bicycle speedo, maybe you remember it. It works great, has lots of features, and best of all weighs nothing. Hey, every ounce counts!

Bikebandit will show the size of those bearings. Compare them to the Thrux's stock bearing sizes and you'll know if they fit. If they have the same ID they'll work with your stock rear axle. If you're going to powdercoat the wheels the bearings will have to be pulled anyway.

Texas94fs

Hooligan
you're going to lose your stock speedo. Prob won't be able to make it work. I could not use the stock speedo with my sv650 front end due to the SV's hall-effect (electronic) speedo sensor vs the Bonnie's cable-driven mechanical speedo. I run a small bicycle speedo, maybe you remember it. It works great, has lots of features, and best of all weighs nothing. Hey, every ounce counts!

Bikebandit will show the size of those bearings. Compare them to the Thrux's stock bearing sizes and you'll know if they fit. If they have the same ID they'll work with your stock rear axle. If you're going to powdercoat the wheels the bearings will have to be pulled anyway.

Yea I remember it, also means I can get a cool tach bracket from d9 to rig up to the thrux! Haven't looked at bike bandit yet but will do so once I source the front wheel and forks, I can't find a set locally that aren't ridiculously priced or too damaged for my liking. Its all in the works I'll get it done eventually

look on ebay, and find a CBR forum and scour the classifieds. I found my sv parts on svrider.

My $0.02: get Seth/D9 to make you a single gauge bracket. Throw the Tach in there with the idiot lights under it, then get the same bicycle speedo as I have and put it on one of your clipons.

PieMan

Two Stroke
Use a new set of Bonnie rear wheel bearings, they're the same external size but smaller internal for the Bonnie spindle. I haven't got to the sprocket carrier yet, but I believe it needs some machining.