Stupid exhaust questions....

strokerlmt

Sweat or Steve.....or anyone
What size, what do I order, where do I order MILD STEEL header flanges?
When using predators or dominators which are basically straight through mufflers is there enough flow if you go to 2 to 1 joining in front of the engine using next size pipe UP?
Thx in advance.......
LMT

what do you mean by header flanges? Where the header bolts to the head? To my knowledge no one sells them.

I don't understand your other question.

Craigore

TT Racer
email LC fabrications they might have hinckley header flanges. I don't think what you want to try is a good idea

strokerlmt

The header bolts to the head with a flange/2 bolts. The stock ones are stainless which are difficlt to join to mild steel tubing. So I was wondering if you can get a std flange made of mild steel. The flange has to be std. Is it a custom piece ????
Thx again
LMT

The header bolts to the head with a flange/2 bolts. The stock ones are stainless which are difficlt to join to mild steel tubing. So I was wondering if you can get a std flange made of mild steel. The flange has to be std. Is it a custom piece ????
Thx again
LMT

All the aftermarket headers I've had (Bub and D&D) have been mild steel and they use a thicker section of pipe with about a 1/4" or 3/16" plate that holds it to the head, not one piece like a stock pipe. It would be really simple for a fab shop to make them for you.

here's a pic of the whole system, hopefully you can make out the flanges:

fullsystem.jpg

strokerlmt

I actually have a drawing on graph paper of the stock flange......
I have a fabrication shop here....just thought it would be easier from a shop that makes exhaust systems....
Thx
LMT

rodburner

Rocker
Lach,if you do find flanges,let me know. Now,quit thinking that the stock "stainless" flanges can't be welded to mild steel tube,because every single set of pipes I've ever made for this bike used mild pipe welded to the stock flanges.
As far as doing your 2into1 in front of the engine,let me say this. The longer the primary pipes before the collector,to say,the bottom of the engine,will make for a fun,torquey ride. Short primaries and quick collectors suck ALL the bottom end out of these bikes.
NO,NO,NO...
Dadsbikepics1383.jpg

Yes,Yes,Yes...
Dadsbikepics942.jpg

you don't need a fancy flange....I'm trying to tell ya. You need a plate drilled out to fit the exhaust studs, with a hole in the middle the size of the header. That's one piece. Then you need the header, at the head it's thicker so that plate can hold it against the head. Bam, done. one piece of tubing, one piece of plate. Done

strokerlmt

Thx Steve.....that is what I wanted to know......short headers ....long headers....collector.....flow.... I have some stock headers that have the cross over on them which I don't use now with the Preds. I have mocked up a exhaust system with wire/my kids bender roooooos/pvc/blue tape/duc tape.... etc......it is 2 to the right side to 2 dominators on right side which will be welded together....so I get 2 headers ie the same flow I have now but everything on the rt side. The pipes fit nicely side by side down the rt side. Better than the left side. I will take the flanges from the old headers and I have a muffler/bender/welder locally that does great work put the mild steel pipes together for me.
More later ....but thx for imput.....
LMT