Winter ride

koifarm

Hooligan
I've been out of town for 15 days and got back sunday, today it's 68 degrees outside and so got the cover off the bike and cleaned her up, dusted her off and took her for a ride along the river....saw lots of other bikes enjoying the warmth and enjoyed the day.

Got back and noticed some smoke issuing from the pipes and found the clutch cable had worked it's way against the pipe on the left side...I'll have to tie it off a bit better. I think it's because of the longer cables I installed for the Highlander bars having room to play since I changed back to stock bars for awhile...only thing I can think of to do is wire tie it off to the front frame member and pull it away from the pipe.

If anyone has a better solution please share it with me...

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
18 degrees F? That's beach weather...-16 degrees C, or 4 degrees F here. Geez 18? I could wear shorts while doing up some BBQ for dinner...

koifarm

Hooligan
Well,it's a window of opportunity down here, it will be warmish tomorrow but tomorrow night a rain front comes through and we're back down to the 40's for a few days.....it's a predictable, recurrent weather pattern and aside from the ten to twelve days we recently had freezing temps every night, it is easy to get some warm rides in when it's balmy out....the best riding is coming up soon, in March, the bulk of the days are warm and riders around here come out in the numbers, not to mention Daytona bike week the end of Feb, first of March is always good weather. Daytona is just around the corner here.

em_dot

Street Tracker
Ride some miles for us here in NC. It started snowing an hour ago, and it looks like we are going to get a good bit.

champ7fc

Scooter
Got home yesterday from work, shoveled three inches of snow, opened the shed and fired up my Bonnie , just for the hell of it. Let it idle till the oil temp hit 150, selected first and let it free wheel for awhile. Shut her down, went in and 30 mins later had another inch and a half on the ground. Oh well I'll spend the rest of this winter working on my Norton. The temp here now is 7, jealous of you guys and gals from the south. Craig

it's in the low 30s here tonight, which is considered damn cold for us in Central Texas. It's been rainy and humid lately. I can't win. When it's warm enough to ride it's raining or I've been working.

Skeeter

Rocker
18 degrees F? That's beach weather...-16 degrees C, or 4 degrees F here. Geez 18? I could wear shorts while doing up some BBQ for dinner...

4 degrees is only 14 degrees less than us, but i dont want 4 degrees. this global warming stuffs gettin to cold for me

I've been out of town for 15 days and got back sunday, today it's 68 degrees outside and so got the cover off the bike and cleaned her up, dusted her off and took her for a ride along the river....saw lots of other bikes enjoying the warmth and enjoyed the day.

Got back and noticed some smoke issuing from the pipes and found the clutch cable had worked it's way against the pipe on the left side...I'll have to tie it off a bit better. I think it's because of the longer cables I installed for the Highlander bars having room to play since I changed back to stock bars for awhile...only thing I can think of to do is wire tie it off to the front frame member and pull it away from the pipe.

If anyone has a better solution please share it with me...

Koi, I had the same problem with the stock cable when I swopped to lower bars. On my 865 engine, there was a "spare" hole at the front left of the crankcase. I tied it off there.

Photo-0047.jpg

Cheers,

Pikey.

koifarm

Hooligan
Thanks Pikey,
I'll go out in a bit and have a look to see if mine has that...right now it's tiewrapped off to the left downtube and is held away sufficiently enough to prevent burning...I'll probably go ahead and lube it up again just to be safe...if it got that hot, it likely burned off the internal lube.....

koifarm

Hooligan
Hey Pikey, found the extra hole and added a tie wrap to it, it pulls the clutch cable nicely out of the way....now to get that crap off the inside of the pipe where it melted.

By the by gents, it's been raining all day here and still drizzling and cool...not condusive to riding so I made a template for a tonneau cover for the sidecar as well as a template to see if the Meteor windscreen will fit the curvature of my car. May as well do something constructive.

Glad to have helped. BTW, I wonder what that hole is/was for? Probably in use on another of the Modern Classics for some reason or another. Anyone know?

Cheers,

Pikey.