Enfield Bullet

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Question - how " mod friendly" are these RE's? Anyone know if you can get 35 - 40horsepower out of one easily and cheaply? Because that might help a lot.

ivar

TT Racer
I don't have any experience with a Royal Enfiled since my 1957 single but I realy enjoy my 71 BSA B50

Seriously thinking about getting a B44 or B50, looks like fun on the back roads.

But then, I'd also like to have one of those Urals in the stable. And a big barn to store all the bikes...

drlapo

Hooligan
this post got me thinking about my 1957 Indian Hound's Arrow
it was actually an Enfield and used parts from the Crusader series
there is very little info on that model on the "web"
does any one have a "link"? for info on a 57 Hound's Arrow?

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
scrambler-trials.jpg

They make a cool scrambler kit for it.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Hey Kirkus,

I don't know if you are doing anything with the Enfield. But as far as power, I spent a good hour on a 29 hp bike yesterday and it was okay and I am 260 lbs. The bike got around just fine. The Enfield is in that ballpark and I am sure it has a nicer charecter. Anyway, the power to weight ratio isn't that bad is what I am saying. I could hit 70 mph on a backroad without too much problem and its just a different type of riding. You have to be in the right gear and all that..

D9

Vendor
A guy in India I was talking about speedos with awhile back sent me a DVD of a rather incredible motorcycle odyssey called "One Crazy Ride"... turns out he was one of the five riders in the movie, all of whom took Royal Enfield bullets racked & packed with gear where no one in their right mind would attempt to go...no support vehicles or anything like that. I watched the DVD this weekend... a little rough, but damn good overall - and good movie to watch if you're thinking Enfield...

Found a trailer on youtube, worth checking out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkb4558ym5w

MES

750cc
Mostly I think they are just not understood by Americans
+1

Question - how " mod friendly" are these RE's? Anyone know if you can get 35 - 40horsepower out of one easily and cheaply? Because that might help a lot.
The RE site is shite but if you persevere through the load you will see that there is a ton of factory bolt on crap/stuff on offer. Including hicomp and bigbore.
My brother has one and he loves it. I had one in India and I loved it.
You should know going in that they break (brake, not so much).
they are underpowered for U.S. freeways.

if you just want to putt around the back roads and don't mind fixing it then they're fine (for what they are).
don't know anything about the new FI type.

ddwasher

Scooter
they are underpowered for U.S. freeways.

Bang on! I have done a lot of driving/riding in the Indian subcontinent. You could even tour India on a 250cc. The roads and traffic are prohibitive to any amount of sustained speed.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Well you are absolutely right - it depends on the roads. I am interested in drlapo's comment on the B50 comparison. Thats a bike I am interested in and I wonder if a souped up Bullet is the equivalent of a new B50. I looked up the specs and 34 hp./310lbs for the B50 vs 22 hp/ 370 lbs.for the Bullet so the answer is no. But if you could get say 35-40 hp that might put it in the ballpark.

Iceseven

750cc
There is a good DVD called "Riding solo to The top of the world" and it is a self filmed bike trip up through the highest motorable pass in the world on an Enfield. I would like to have an Enfield one day.

I was thinking of buying one and keeping it at my dad's in WI for when I visit, just to fart around in around town and country roads. Probably the military styled one. Just haven't heard great things about reliability... but now with retooled motors, EFI, 5-speed, hopefully they invested in improvements. Historically 'cool', kind of like "SteamPunk" type of motorcycle almost.

D9

Vendor
There is a good DVD called "Riding solo to The top of the world" and it is a self filmed bike trip up through the highest motorable pass in the world on an Enfield. I would like to have an Enfield one day.

... by the same guy that did "One Crazy Ride". Haven't seen the "top of the world" one yet, but I'd like to.