2010 Bonneville front sprocket size?

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
The best thing you can do is a 19 tooth front spocket --- should have come standard with them-----
Counterpoint. You can either believe the factory got it wrong or got it right.
I believe the latter. Early 790cc bonnies came with a 17t front sprocket.
To me, the gearing is perfect with the 18t sprocket. Go to 19t and first gear is too tall for my taste. The bike tachs 4K at 70mph in 5th with 18t sprocket. These motors are meant to rev and for back road riding less than 75mph the gearing is perfect with 18t front sprocket. If spending a lot of time of the freeway up around 80 mph the 19t sprocket is better but for me, I would buy a different bike for the highway.
Cheers.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Counterpoint. You can either believe the factory got it wrong or got it right.
I believe the latter. Early 790cc bonnies came with a 17t front sprocket.
To me, the gearing is perfect with the 18t sprocket. Go to 19t and first gear is too tall for my taste. The bike tachs 4K at 70mph in 5th with 18t sprocket. These motors are meant to rev and for back road riding less than 75mph the gearing is perfect with 18t front sprocket.
Cheers.

I take it that you've never ridden an early 790cc with a 17t sprocket? I ask cause your opinion sounds like you're talking out the side of your mouth ... that would be the side that doesnt know shit about what it's saying.

"If spending a lot of time of the freeway up around 80 mph the 19t sprocket is better but for me, I would buy a different bike for the highway."

Each to his own, but having completed a 2,000 mile trip last week (80+ for long stretches), I'd argue that a stock Bonnie (a T-100 with a Parabellum & gel seat in my case) is great for long stretches on the highway. My biggest problem was rear tire heat and resulting rapid wear at high speed (running @ 46 psi with fully loaded bags/rack was the solution).

Craigore

TT Racer
I am doing a trip from New York to Oregon and back this summer. 5K+ miles
What ya'll suggest for me for a front sprocket?

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I've ridden to Vermont and back (from Maryland) on the stock 18T sprocket, and I've ridden to Connecticutt and back on a 19T sprocket. The 19T was a more comfortable ride. We didn't go superslabs except when we had to, but still on those secondary highways I was looking for 6th gear a *lot* with the 18T and hardly ever on the 19T. Indeed there were times when I'd be surprised to find I'd been running comfortably in 4th at 70mph or so, with room to grow.

That said, like so many things about these bikes and their riders, it's all a matter of personal taste. Anyone who makes a blanket statement about "what's best" is a dork.

Unless of course it's a statement to the effect of "Black is the fastest stock color."

Cheers!

drlapo

Hooligan
05 Thruxton: no complaints with the stock gearing
its only overgeared if it hits the redline in top gear too easy

Easy13

Street Tracker
Going the other way.

FWIW, I put a 19t on my '07 Bonne when it was basically stock, but as I've done carb/airbox/exhaust mods I've gone back to the 18t for better acceleration. While I don't recall much of a difference in performance when I went to the 19t, coming back down to the 18t made a nice improvement. The bike feels alot snappier now, more responsive to the throttle. Also, since I now have a tach, it's easier to know at a glance whether I'm in 5th gear.

I've got a 17t on the way, just for grins.:headbang2: