Florida Equality

koifarm

Hooligan
I know, I know, you northerners are used to cold weather and us Floridians are not, but as I sit typing this, the thermometer on the back porch reads 30 degrees, not much as far as lows go but huge down south....
Not wanting to whine about the cold, but in a sense of fairness, we are freezing our butts off down here....five days of hard freeze in this neck of the woods is, in our minds, tantamount to the sinking of the Titanic.
It should warm up some during the day with temps in the low 50's.
I can remember living in Milwaukee and riding a bike all winter and declaring that 50 degrees was my absolute line in the sand for riding at that time.
However, with old age, comes experience and longing for creature comforts and these days my threshold has risen somewhat to a warm and balmy 65. Sure, only 15 degrees, but significant in my mind.
So gentlemen, you can go about your days longingly looking at your bikes in the garage and the snow on the ground and rest assured that your Southern friends are likely doing the same thing...without benefit of the snow of course!
Stay warm.....

strokerlmt

Koifarm.....I used to live in the Cayman Islands and travelled to Florida a lot. You are cold.....I remember how Miami grd to a halt with temps like that. keep your woolies on ;-)))
LMT

DandyDoug

750cc
When we lived in FL. we were miserable when the temps dropped like you are currently feeling. Then we moved back to NC. and the first winter I swear I thought I was going to freeze to death. Last couple of years it was better, but now we are in a bad cold spell for our area, only 17 degrees this am. Man that hurts to be outside.
The good news is, it won't last long !!!!

Bonniebret

Rocker
My days of being a tough guy when it comes to weather are over. 30 is cold. To me anything below 50 is cold and it's 26 out right now.

speedtrip

Scooter
Come on Koi really ? Its 35 at 11:45 here inland and im about to get suited up and head out for the afternoon (no heated gear ) sure its cold but thats not going to stop the riding from happening , I remember the winters in Ohio 6 ' to 10 ' snow drifts wind blowing 20-30 mph running to the out house because the in door plumbing was froze . Now that was cold but this Florida , no snow a little breeze . and lots of sunshine so get suited up and lets ride .

koifarm

Hooligan
Cold Rider

Come on Koi really ? Its 35 at 11:45 here inland and im about to get suited up and head out for the afternoon (no heated gear ) sure its cold but thats not going to stop the riding from happening , I remember the winters in Ohio 6 ' to 10 ' snow drifts wind blowing 20-30 mph running to the out house because the in door plumbing was froze . Now that was cold but this Florida , no snow a little breeze . and lots of sunshine so get suited up and lets ride .

I can sympathise with you Speed...I lived in Milwaukee long time and know all about cold and snow....
I guess I;m just getting soft in my old age...but that's a personal decision, I still see plenty of riders out there...some with no helmets....but it's too cold for me.....
When you get back from your ride, and get thawed out, let me know how it was....:)
One of my favorite old tricks when I was up there and having ridden home in the super low temps and having the entire front of my body numb from the cold (those were the days of no fancy gear, just levis and long johns) was to jump into bed with my GF and latch on to her like an octopus to warm up....(she was NOT in favor of this) but that body heat was soooo delicious....

strokerlmt

I'm an old fart now. 60 next June and having a major life crisis. I remember being with my father in teh work shop and telling him howwww farrrrr away the year 2000 was. Gone + 10.....I am a pussy now with temp. Don't like sewating humid hot don't like cold. The Central Cal Coast is perfect that way. Never below 45 or above 80 here. Usually 60's-70's which is perfect for me. have all star soccer with 10 yr old daugther then home in time for a ride from Cambria to Gorda BIG SUR and back. About 45-60 minutes from here HWY ONE and it will be clear and 67/68/ today. I am am serious when I say I feel you guys to the NE USA..............

Kirkus51

Hooligan
Damn you Stroker! a California hwy 1 ride from Cambria to Big Sur? Wave at Hurst Castle while you're at it. My buddy just posted sunset pics from Malibu where it was 70. The only thing I miss in California is the weather..... big time.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
ahh Florida.. yeah. I just got back - it was 81 at my hotel in islamorada Friday. I even got in a ride of shame on a rental scooter. The weather was nice and warm this past week in Fla. for my vaca and now you Floridians are on your own. Here back at home in NY its 18 degrees with snow and 30 mph winds.

koifarm

Hooligan
Lucky Break

ahh Florida.. yeah. I just got back - it was 81 at my hotel in islamorada Friday. I even got in a ride of shame on a rental scooter. The weather was nice and warm this past week in Fla. for my vaca and now you Floridians are on your own. Here back at home in NY its 18 degrees with snow and 30 mph winds.

Glad you got a break in the weather or the last of the warm stuff....hope your trip was a good one....Saint Augustine is and has been for the last two weeks, absolutely chuck full of touristas, kind of like a beehive in town but they will soon be gone and peace will reign....

EDG1911

Street Tracker
Brrrr... you frozen bastages up north stop blowin that cold shit down here.

blow it back up to canuckistan where it belongs.

1218nmf.jpg
eitwcj.jpg

KingBear

Hooligan
I've probably made more business trips to Florida than any other state, and that's saying a lot! I friggin' hate that place. When it's hot it's humid and nasty, when it's cold it's freezing, when it rains (which it does almost every day) it pours. It's flat, swampy, and either redneck or ghetto.

I don't like it. No sir, I don't like it at all.

Skeeter

Rocker
I've probably made more business trips to Florida than any other state, and that's saying a lot! I friggin' hate that place. When it's hot it's humid and nasty, when it's cold it's freezing, when it rains (which it does almost every day) it pours. It's flat, swampy, and either redneck or ghetto.
I don't like it. No sir, I don't like it at all.

tell us how you really feel bout FL, dont hide anything, ahahaha

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Koi,

Thanks, I had a great trip.

If you think it was crowded in your neck of the woods, you should have seen Key West!! It was a zoo! I had the feeling half the US was crowded into Florida this past week, but couldn't complain as I was a tourist myself.

em_dot

Street Tracker
Just back to NC from a week in MA. Got off the plane this morning and it was 26. Felt nice after the temps up there.

Last Tuesday (up in Western Mass) I got up early and went out for my morning run. My wife's folks kind of snickered as I left the house. I made it down to the end of the street and turned around. The air just burned my lungs and the hat, gloves, heavy running shirt and pants just didn't do it. When I got back in the house is when they told me it was -4 with the wind chill. I don't miss New England winters!

buckstoy

Street Tracker
It's 31* right now in MS and the temps will be dipping down to around 16* by friday. I did manage to get a New Years day ride in to try out my Pazzos and the new Triumph brake res, so all is not lost, but I cut my mountain bike ride to 40 minutes (supposed to go for 3 hours) because of the cold and wet trail. Need to buy better cold weather gear by next weekend, we're doing a team training camp at Oak Mountain Alabama and it's going to be colder than shit!

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
I just got back last night from SC Upland. Had a few nice days, but mostly grey and dreary, then cold as hell when the clouds cleared out. 18 the night before I left. Forgot and left the dog bowls on the porch, they were not amused when presented with a 4 inch block of ice to drink the next morning! So imagine my dismay when I spent 10 hrs in the car yesterday looking forwards to getting back to warm Florida and going for a ride, only to get out of the car and find we were going to have a damn freeze here the next 3nights!

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
ha,yeah but you will get back to warm temperatures in a week or so.

Last week in the keys - I went down to the motorcycle rental place in Key Largo. They wanted to charge my cc $2500 for their "insurance deductible" even though I was paying for full coverage insurance. NFW man. And they were Road Kings. So back in Isla, I went and talked to a scooter rental guy who hooked me up with a POS scooter that went 50 mph (cost was almost nothing) and I got my jollies riding around in a T shirt and sunglasses with no helmet while my wife lounged by the pool..

.hey - I am sure i looked like a dork but it was the most riding I will get in this month and it was warm.