Bonnie with Sportster Bars

bkiser

Scooter
I picked these up from my local HD shop for about $50 (Christmas sale). I wasn't entirely unhappy with the dimensions of the stock bars, but they were ugly. I wanted bars a little wider, a little lower, but with similar pullback and better looking bends.

These are about 1/2 inch wider than stock. 3.5 inch rise and about 7 inches of pullback. Still waiting on new grips and bar-ends to complete the look.

BonnevilleBarSwap-04.jpg

BonnevilleBarSwap-05.jpg

BonnevilleBarSwap-06.jpg

BonnevilleBarSwap-08.jpg

RoyNC

Street Tracker
Those look really good. Did you have to do any special modifications or was it a simple bolt on? Are they 1" or 7/8" bars?

bkiser

Scooter
They are 1" and bolted straight on. This was the first mod I have made to the bike and it took about 30 minutes to swap them out. Total piece of cake. The bars themselves are from the somewhat new XL883N (Iron). Harley calls them drag bars for some reason.

koifarm

Hooligan
KingBear, I wouldn't worry unless he starts wearing black and orange tank tops, a doo rag, flip flops and cutoffs with faux leather chaps....

bkiser

Scooter
I was supposed to wear something under the chaps? I had no idea. The bars did come with a free H-D eye patch- normally $79.99! :)

KingBear

Hooligan
Just don't let me catch you with any skulls or Maltese Crosses on your bike or you may get slapped around a bit. ;)

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
Well done bkiser and great info.
A couple of questions please:
Is there any pull back difference?
Is the clamp areas of the Sporty bars have identical spacing to the Triumph bar knurling? It looks in the pic like the non powercoated clamp areas lines up precisely with your riser clamps and is properly hidden.
Looks very nice.
PS: What year is that Frigidaire? ;)

Oxblood

750cc
Well done bkiser and great info.
A couple of questions please:
Is the clamp areas of the Sporty bars have identical spacing to the Triumph bar knurling? It looks in the pic like the non powercoated clamp areas lines up precisely with your riser clamps and is properly hidden.

I don't know if all sportster bars are the same but I picked up a set off of an old ironhead for about 5 bucks that has the knurled area completely under the triumph clamp. It extends a little bit further to the inside of the bar and is a wee bit narrower overall. I've been runnin' them for a couple of years now with no problems. They were a little loose when I powdercoated the clamp itself but that went away when I sanded the contact areas back down.

bkiser

Scooter
The frigidaire is about a 2002 model. Works great and is currently stocked with 100 lbs of grassfed beef!

The pull back on the bars is very close to the stock bars. The grips end up less than an inch farther apart at the ends. Its definitely not a radical change, but I was wanting more of a street tracker look without going so wide as to become even more of a sail at higher speeds. With these bars rolled down a little more than the stock bars, I can get a little lower as well but still have plenty of leverage.

Next up- taller shocks, short fenders, and probably some Distanzias.

Oh...the HD part number is 56014-09. Maltese crosses and chrome dome helmets not included. The parts guy was being helpful and asked me what model bike the bars were going on. I said "Bonneville" and he said "Lucky bars."

Bonniebret

Rocker
I was supposed to wear something under the chaps? I had no idea. The bars did come with a free H-D eye patch- normally $79.99! :)

That wasn't an eye patch. I'm starting a collection to buy you some tassels for your new bars and a pre-tied bandanna. :up:

Beaman

Two Stroke
I tried sportster bars and ended up getting NB superbars - a whole lot better handling and seating position!

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
HD parts on a Triumph? For shame....

Next thing you know it'll be leather vests, skull rings, forward controls, little helmet lid, huge ass beer gut (and that's just the ladies!) and a 'skullet' (think Hulk Hogan hair)... lol.

Speed3Chris

I like Dick
The frigidaire is about a 2002 model. Works great and is currently stocked with 100 lbs of grassfed beef!

The pull back on the bars is very close to the stock bars. The grips end up less than an inch farther apart at the ends. Its definitely not a radical change, but I was wanting more of a street tracker look without going so wide as to become even more of a sail at higher speeds. With these bars rolled down a little more than the stock bars, I can get a little lower as well but still have plenty of leverage.

Next up- taller shocks, short fenders, and probably some Distanzias.

Oh...the HD part number is 56014-09. Maltese crosses and chrome dome helmets not included. The parts guy was being helpful and asked me what model bike the bars were going on. I said "Bonneville" and he said "Lucky bars."
I thought the Frigidaire maybe a family heirloom and not a contemporary model. ;) Some have freezers 20 years old filled with their favorite beverage in their man cave for serious wrench sessions. :)
Congrats on the bars and thanks for sharing your find with us. I am relatively happy with the stock T100 bars rolled back a bit as I don't like to catch too much wind as you say and feel there is plenty of leverage to countersteer these bikes the way they are. I would consider riding M bars but would likely only find the riding position a bit lower and different versus better.
Btw you will love barends on these bikes...what they are meant for. CRG's or Nap's rock.
All the best. Mine below:

Attachments

• Napoleon Installation  Resize.jpg
    Napoleon Installation Resize.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: