So Ugly It Is Beautiful

Jhtjon

Street Tracker
Someone gave me this beautiful '82 KZ1100 Spectre. He bought a whold bunch of new electrical part to try and cure a charging problem but couldn't make it work.

1982KZ1100D1.jpg

What do you think. Cafe, drag bike or fix her and ride it as she is.

BTW that pic was taken before I wash it.

Uesque

Scooter
That's in good shape, keep it the way it is. Kaw rebadged Kerker pipes at one point, I'll bet those are Kerkers.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I'd have to start off with repainting the gold parts black, getting a flat seat And that black gold and red paint scheme is like an '80s nightmare flashback ..hot nights disco dancing in a club near Greenwood Lake ...Duran Duran, Neon and Members Only jackets... ..dude....its like... black...gold.....

black gold

sorry, I'm back. Yeah, cafe it or something. Don't leave it like that. Its hideous...

Last edited:

Jhtjon

Street Tracker
I'd have to start off with repainting the gold parts black, getting a flat seat And that black gold and red paint scheme is like an '80s nightmare flashback ..hot nights disco dancing in a club near Greenwood Lake ...Duran Duran, Neon and Members Only jackets... ..dude....its like... black...gold.....

black gold

sorry, I'm back. Yeah, cafe it or something. Don't leave it like that. Its hideous...

It is black gold!!!!!

The guy who gave this to me says his neighbor has a couple of bikes he wants to get rid of....

....If i'd like to come get them I can have them:rock::rock:

When I ask what were they he couldn't remember but one is a six cylinder....

...I tried not to look too excited when I said I would gladly come and get them.

I dig it, lots of potential. Those shaft drives really make clean customs because there's no chain in the way. I wish I had an ol dude near my place giving away bikes.

MattRat

TT Racer
It is black gold!!!!!

The guy who gave this to me says his neighbor has a couple of bikes he wants to get rid of....

....If i'd like to come get them I can have them:rock::rock:

I'm like 20 minutes away from you - he got anything left to give away?

Jhtjon

Street Tracker
Looked at the other bikes today...

....Garbage. not even worth picking them up. Sorry guys.

Jhtjon

Street Tracker
Well after changing the fork oil and brake fluid and oil and gear lube.....

I added a battery, pressed the magic button... and nothing happened..........

Next I checked all the leads going to the starter and found one dirty connector. Cleaned it and the starter reluctantly turned. Wrapped it with a hammer, some improvement. Filled her with gas, shot some starting fluid down the carbs, pulled the choke and on the third crank she fired.

She runs good, carbs could use a little work but not bad at all. took her around the block and all is good (but she don't handle like my bonnie). Here is the issue. According to the shop manual you are to check the alternator leg to leg (it's three phase AC) with the bike at 4,000rpm using a DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter) set to the 250VAC scale. With this you should read around 50VAC.

So I get my Fluke Auto-Ranging DVOM set it to AC Volts. Connect the leads to the legs coming out of the alternator and at idle i've got 70AVC (Cool) as I begin to bring the RPMs up the voltage drops to 9-11VAC.

Now what??????

P.S. The thing sounds bitichin'

black gold

off topic but I clicked the vid and I have a black gold 280zx back home :D