re-living days gone by...

rodburner

Rocker
And it was as simple as buying a new helmet.Have only worn full face helmets the past 30 years,but after meeting BillyD of HellMutts at this years Billetproof show,I`ve kept looking at the old 3/4 lids of my youth.And by youth,I mean the non bubbled headed type like Bell and Buco. Well thanks to the wonders of ebay,I picked up 2 vintage buckets,both NOS,pre-DOT versions.This 1973 Shoei,[the year I graduated from high school]..
Picture198.jpg

Picture199.jpg

and this `77 Buco Blueline..
Picture201.jpg

Both need some foam bits replaced,but are in otherwise new condition.Blasting around with the wind in my face today,was just plain sweet.:ride:

koifarm

Hooligan
Nice lids Rodburner, I had a beautiful old Bell helmet that saw me through years of bike riding then skydiving and eventually got lost in a move.....but there was just something about them that was nice and nostalgic.
I still have two old Shoei full faces that I have had for years, probably bought in the mid 70's and I was just in the shop last night looking over one I had repainted to match my bike/sidecar rig. Somehow I just felt funny or felt it would look goofy to have matching helmet/rig colors but had some paint left in the gun when painting and grabbed one and shot it....
Point being, I tried it on and it just felt great! It's not DOT but is still in great shape and I'd consider it safe to wear.
Fortunately I still have one in original colors and may consider using that.
Can anyone enlighten me as to the legality of using a good helmet that's not DOT, like, is it legal?
The major thing I like about the Shoeis is that they have more peripheral vision, and that's a plus. I've even rigged a new face shield for it since none are available out there to fit.
I'll post some pics tomorrow, about to hit the sack here.....

Last edited:

rodburner

Rocker
Thanks farmer. In Wa. we have to wear helmets."New" helmets are supposed to be at least DOT certified.But I`m unaware of any law telling me that I must replace my bucket every 5 years or if its been dropped,or any other reason to buy a new helmet,so as far as I`m concerned,if asked,I`ve had this lid for 36 years,it works fine,provides a huge field of vision,and is way easier on the neck than my Lord Dark Helmet Shoei fullface,which will still be my cold weather helmet.

koifarm

Hooligan
Good thoughts Rodburner, I guess in the end and if questioned about the DOT sticker I can just say it's been painted over. On the other hand I think you can find DOT stickers on the net for a few bucks....maybe that's a possibility. (I'm wondering now why the hell I'm worried about the damn thing in the first place....lol....) Guess I'm just tired......ready for some shuteye....

But y'know, you're right about feeling the nostalgia, it's kinda like putting on an old pair of levis, something that's been good to you for years.....lots of fine memories attached to those oldies....good ones....

Last edited:

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I seriously doubt any cop will pull a guy over just to hassle him about a DOT approved helmet, unless he's had a really shitty day and he wants you to have an even shittier one. I've never heard of a cop doing it.

However, being in a helmet optional state I don't even have to worry about it.

Motley

750cc
Although I prefer the protection that the full helmets offer, I do like to ride with the 3/4 Bell on those few hot days we get. Although, bugs hurt more than I remember.
helmet001.jpg

helmet004.jpg

ssjones

750cc
I'm sold on 3/4 helmets.
I picked up this vintage 3/4 helmet at a swap meet for $1 and put a $20 liner in it. Member "vtwinmotors" sells them on the Jockey Journal.
I wear a 3/4 Scorpion lid as well for my daily rider America.
I gave away my half-helmet and could never go back to wearing that type of helmet.

rodburner

Rocker
Nice one,SS I hope to get mine updated internally by BillyD and his wife at HellMutts,also on the JJ and local to me,here in Tacoma.

Gretsch

Rocker
I'm sticking with my Arei full face. The 3/4 looks cool but I just feel better with a full face. I've had stuff hit me at speed and I can't imagine how bad that would hurt without the full face. That said, nothing looks cooler than 3/4 helmet, goggles, and a bandanna for these types of bikes. Very Cafe' Racer!

bugs hurt more than I remember.

+1 on that statement. Either I got softer or the bugs got harder than when I was young and rode w/o a helmet. I can't imagine riding now w/o full face protection except around town.

Jumping on my Bonnie lets me relive my youth, even with full face helmet.

koifarm

Hooligan
It's the whole package, Grumpy, the essence of your youth revisited.
In the words of John Denver:

Country Roads, take me home,
To the place I belong
(On a Bonneville with the wind in my face)

ssjones

750cc
Temps in the low 50's yesterday AM, I popped on a dark face shield on my Scorpion. I forget how pleasant it is to ride with a shield and no glasses, plus cozy warm as well.

koifarm

Hooligan
Shoei Helmets

Here's the pics of the two Shoeis I have, both from the mid 70's, both fit well and as I said, more peripheral vision.

2009_1027helmets0001.jpg

2009_1027helmets0004.jpg

The main reason I got new helmets was that I couldn't find a visor to fit but ended up making one and it's passable.....can't tell ya'll how many miles I"ve put on them but back then helmets were mandatory in Florida so I wore them constantly. Both very comfortable helmets.