Goodbye, Buell

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I like the looks of some of the older ones - look how the frame and exhaust and motor compliment each other!! Thats a work of art..Look at that tank!! That bodywork... Wow!!

800px-Buell_M2_Cyclone_white_2000_front.jpg

These are the ones I remember when I first noticed Buell's around and I always thought they were cool.

Last edited:

MattRat

TT Racer
I really liked the performance of that perimeter brake when I rode one - single disc/caliper with the performance of double disc systems...saved a lot of weight.

Yeah, it looks kinda funny but it works.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
its interesting because the rap on them years ago was they weren't as fast as a Jap bike. Now, ten years later, its like, a Hyabusa goes 180 - who cares? Riders are looking for soul. At the same time Buell seemed to leave this behind and go into a hyper space. They got sucked in by the HP wars and then were sacrificed for $$$.... thats my epitath for Buell.

EDG1911

Street Tracker
1125 Ulysses photoshop

somebody posted this over at advrider...If Buell makes a comeback and makes this I'll run right down and get one...

2qi93d2.jpg

:cheer::headbang2:

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
When I read the first post, I laughed out loud, then I watched the video. Kinda puts a different spin on things when you see a face behind the loss. The guy looks absolutley crushed. They would have never gotten any of my cash, but it's too bad to see someone lose something they worked so hard for.

Kinda like the brewery business now. The brewerys are run by bankers, not brewers, and it all comes down to how much $$$ they can make for themselves and their shareholders. Just forget about the people, customer service, soul, and passion.

Too bad.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I think we may be looking at this the wrong way. Its an opportunity for someone. Few of us ever bought a Buell, probably because they were butt ugly. I am still mystified by their bikes.I wonder if Eric Buell didn't have any designers, or if he did the design work and got off track.

But anyway my point is - the death of Buell leaves a void on the market place for an american sportbike/cafe racer. Honda must be licking their chops..bringing in a standard or retro standard. Victory unfortunately doesn't look capable of going in that direction.

But its there for someone. There has to be a market for what Buell should have been.

Last edited:

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
Actually, I think Victory is quite capable of doing it. Don't know that they would, but they could if they desired. Victory is slowly going after different market segments, slowly enough as to not ailenate the "core" cruiser supporters, who tend to get a little bent when things change. Yet they do daring designs like the Vision, which is either the coolest thing ever or the most horrible bike design in history, depending on where you stand.

I know one thing, their parent company Polaris built my 1200PRO PWC, which is a rediculously fast 2-stroke triple that turns like it's on rails. One of the quickest PWC's ever made! They CAN build a sportbike if they choose to, I would think.

But back to Buell, I've been wanting a XB9SX (CityCross) since they came out. Love the concept. I'm 5'09 and it fits me great, although I can understand why people are uncomfortable with the short wheelbase and unusual design. Now I have to decide if I want to get one while they're still available. It would probably mean selling something to get spousal permission...

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
of course, I agree Victory is technically able to do it.I don't think it fits their philosophy.

I think Honda sees it more than Victory..I think this helps bikes like-

honda-cb1100f.thumbnail.jpg

HondaCB1100F-2.jpg

Gretsch

Rocker
what sucks is, bikes like the Rocker and Crossbones live on, while Buells die off. Weak.

and this one:

012108middle.jpg

I don't know mang, with some work that could be a pretty cool looking bike. Drop the bars, get a real headlight, etc. it could look like a cool retro style HD. That being said, you'd need to pay a ton of $$$ to bring it out of the fake bobber gay pirate look.

I loved the older Buells but HD never knew how to market them correctly. The local HD shop has all the fake ass "1%" queermo stuff out front (HD jackets, pants, socks, underwear, etc.) and the Buell stuff in the back. Basically the dudes that work there only ride and only like HD's. Sure they'll sell you a Bulle Blast if you're starting out or one of the yuppie "1%'ers" girlfriends, but otherwise you're on your own.

Last edited:

Clarke

Scooter
Frankly the Buell lasted much longer then I thought it would. Harley kept it longer then most outfits would have, just like they will keep the stupid Rocker around. The Rocker, and their other goofy models will be gone eventially.

They are like GM, slow to change. Geez, GM with all their problems has a Caddilac stationwagon out now!! Still making stupid decisions!
Harley spent a ton of cash on the V-Rod develpment, and factory. The KC plant, etc. Now that, the economy, etc. are taking its toll.

Harley is a marketing and parts company that just happens to make motorcycles. Some of them very nice. They gained the whole world, but lost their soul. I always say to my other Harley Buds, "Hey Harley CEOs...If I have to explain, you won't understand".

Oxblood

750cc
Sure they'll sell you a Bulle Blast if you're starting out or one of the yuppie "1%'ers" girlfriends, but otherwise you're on your own.

Heh when I bought the wife blast I had to go to three dealerships. The first one said the person that did the buell titles wasn't there on sunday. The second tried to talk me into sportster 883 because they said the blast topped out at 65 mph and my wife should start on something bigger (the whole reason she wanted the blast was she laid the triumph down and wanted something she could man handle better). When I convinced the second store I wasn't going to buy a sportster, we wanted a blast they said they didn't have the color she wanted in stock and they they wouldn't bring on down from the dealership 3 because the other dealership had no way to transport a bike. Dealership 3 was great drove up there bought it cash and they threw it in a truck and drove it to my house which dealership 2 lied and said they couldn't do. So all in all my Buell buying experience sucked but the wife loved the bike and I've got a buddy with an XB9 for sale i might just havta pick up...

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Hmmmm any buell is only 6500 here in houston now. . . even the xb12, of course 7 years time there won't be any parts or anything for em i bet

pepper

Street Tracker
I bought a Blast in 2003. Cash in hand, less than half MSRP OTD, and that price included tax, title and license. They weren't moving and it was winter time, the best time to buy. We haven't had any problems at all with it and it gets down the road just fine. I too think the Buells were marketed wrong by placing them in H-D dealerships. I also think that as Harley bought more and more of Erik's company the whole focus went to shit just as they've done with their own lines.

The owner of the local H-D dealership called me a while back to invite me to come look at the new bikes and have a free burger. He asked what I was riding at the moment and I told him a Triumph Bonneville, "nice to hear someone's actually riding" was his reply. When I went for the burger there were quite a few riders checking out the Trump as they walked in and out (and several of the staff moved to the window to have a look when I cranked her up to leave too). Hey, they're great looking bikes, it's completely understandable to want to check 'em out!

8-28003.jpg

First Buell?

I found this one:

buell_rw750.jpg

This was one of Buell's very early bikes built around a square four 2-stroke. Apparently it raced in AMA F1 series in 1983 and clocked 178mph. It was called the RW750 (RW = Road Warrior!)

Cheers,

Pikey.