Baisc front fender questions

Bullitt

Two Stroke
So I want to pull my front fender and just run it stripped down for a bit. First question, do I have to pull the front tire to be able to get it off? If I do have to pull the wheel, can I use a car jack to lift the bike up? I don't have a center stand or anything.

Second question, will I really see/feel any performance downsides (flex, etc) from removing the cross brace? I've heard differing opinions.

Feel free to shoot a pic of your bike with your front fender removed...I'd love to see them.

Thanks in advance for your input!

koifarm

Hooligan
Just a quick look at the Haynes manual shows the front tire/wheel removed to take the mudguard off. I've never had one apart so can't tell you for sure....
I have used a car jack to elevate the front but I've got the sidecar on, I'd be wary of supporting yours with a car jack without a center stand or any way to keep it upright, if you have a lift and can strap the bike down it would be better. Any chance you could suspend it by straps from the ceiling?

Last edited:

doggmc16

Scooter
If you do not want to scratch your fender I would take the wheel off. I was unable to remove my fender without removing the front wheel first. I remvove the front wheel with a car jack. I put a piece of wood between the car jack and the frame of the bike.

Bonafide

NBR founder
it's possible to remove the fender without removing the front wheel .. but it's definitely easier when the wheel is off.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
I might just have to beast it off with the wheel on...certainly would be preferred to not have to mess with it. Do I need to drop the tire pressure too?

Also, any one have some pics and or personal experiences on performance pros/cons?

Bottle_Fed

Two Stroke
Let the air out of the tire before pulling the fender bolts and it's easier. I ran without a front fender for a while, until I got caught in the rain...lol.

koifarm

Hooligan
alternatives

Easiest way would be a sawzall, just clip the fender off either side of the brace.....:lame::lol3::bug:

adrianwhipp

Two Stroke
I tried pulling mine off and it seemed to be scratching, so I ran out and bought a jack, figured it was worth doing properly. It seemed like it would cause flex also, so I'm gonna hold out for a brace or just chop it...I want it gone though!

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
... to pull the front tire ... can I use a car jack to lift the bike up?

No. These bikes have enough weight in the back that it will just sit there on the back wheel with the forks in the air, no worries.

Hamr Mark

TT Racer
Ok... I shoulda made a video, or taken pictures when I did mine:

You DO NOT have to take off the front wheel. It will take some patience, but it CAN be done with the TIRE ON.

I removed my front fender with the wheel ON, and the bike on it's side stand. Try it...you can do it!

Yes, the removal of the front would make it easier, but IS NOT neccesary.

Bullitt

Two Stroke
No. These bikes have enough weight in the back that it will just sit there on the back wheel with the forks in the air, no worries.

Really? Are you assuming that I have a center-stand or are you saying that you can pull the front tire off, with no jack, and a side stand?

Bullitt

Two Stroke
Lift for a Bonnie?

Can anyone recommend a good stand/lift for a Bonnie? Would any of the dirtbike stands like this one work and support enough weight? Are the headers in the way or would this work?

moto-stand.gif

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=66552

The stand pictured above can hold up to 350 lbs. There's got to be a heavier duty one available...

This is what I use. Aside from the bike itself, this is probably the best investment made. Makes working on the bike so much easier.

jack-studio.jpg

Craftsman: $99.99

adrianwhipp

Two Stroke
I got the craftsman one. The guy at Sears said the next one up was much better, (its silver) but I wasn't convinced, and the warranty was the same. Its been great, for a hundred bucks you cant go wrong.