Spokes

Gretsch

Rocker
Haven't heard a lot about the "broken spoke problem" recently. Has anyone heard more info about this? It looks like Triumph has moved to mag's for the black and standard but kept the spokes for the T-100 version.

No broken spokes here. I've just been giving them the "ping test" and tightening them when needed. Just interested to see if anyone has had problems and/or fixes for this.

T-boy

Rocker
Knock on wood, but I haven't had any, either...and there are 2 stretches of road full of bumps and pot-holes during my daily work commute. I do the same as you Gretsch...ping test and tighten from time to time. Perhaps Triumph went to a different manufacturer for their rims and spokes for the later models? Anyone know for sure? Maybe we're just lucky?

07black&red

Two Stroke
powder coated rims! mucho baddass, amigo. I've been thinking about doing that myself. Any tips? bout what'd that run you?

Oxblood

750cc
Lets see tips:
Find someone that knows how to lace rims to put em back together before you pull your bike apart. I had a a shitty local shop tell me no problem then proceed to attempt to relace em for 3 weeks. Found a dirtbike dude that laced em up no problemo in the end. Do all your prep work yourself if you can it'll save you mucho dinero. I got a special raceteam discount through our shop powdercoater so I don't know the going rate.

My 2008 has had no loose spokes on it yet (knck on wood). I give them the ping test every time I service it and they all have pinged so purty so far.

BlackBonNYC

Two Stroke
Haven't heard a lot about the "broken spoke problem" recently. Has anyone heard more info about this? It looks like Triumph has moved to mag's for the black and standard but kept the spokes for the T-100 version.

No broken spokes here. I've just been giving them the "ping test" and tightening them when needed. Just interested to see if anyone has had problems and/or fixes for this.

you know that they started using a new hub design for spoked bonnies starting in 2008 , right?

so if there are any broken issues, it would only happen to 01-07 bikes

old design:
olddesign001-2.jpg

new design:
newdesign1.jpg

Last edited:

Gretsch

Rocker
you know that they started using a new hub design for spoked bonnies starting in 2008 , right?

Yeah that's what prompted my question. There was a lot of noise about broken spokes a few years ago and then Triumph went to the new hub. I have a 06 Bonneville so I was asking about older models.

It would be interesting to see if there's a big difference in the reports of broken spokes with the new vs. old design. That would tell us if the problem was due to poor maintenance, or a bad design.

Last edited:

BlackBonNYC

Two Stroke
Yeah that's what prompted my question. There was a lot of noise about broken spokes a few years ago and then Triumph went to the new hub. I have a 06 Bonneville so I was asking about older models.

It would be interesting to see if there's a big difference in the reports of broken spokes with the new vs. old design. That would tell us if the problem was due to poor maintenance, or a bad design.

It was the design

I know many people that have all sorts of bikes with spokes and I've not heard about broken spoke issues. The issue was sort of unique to the bonneville when it comes to modern bikes. So the only reason the new hub would break would be due another flawed design and the chances of that happening are small unless they had the same idiot design the second attempt, of course.

But seriously if you notice, the new design has the spokes going straight into the hub with no bend beforehand. That is a pretty drastic change when compared to the right angle entry point of the old style

Gretsch

Rocker
It was the design

I know many people that have all sorts of bikes with spokes and I've not heard about broken spoke issues. The issue was sort of unique to the bonneville when it comes to modern bikes. So the only reason the new hub would break would be due another flawed design and the chances of that happening are small unless they had the same idiot design the second attempt, of course.

But seriously if you notice, the new design has the spokes going straight into the hub with no bend beforehand. That is a pretty drastic change when compared to the right angle entry point of the old style

That's kind of what I thought and was concerned about. I wonder if there's any cost effective way to retrofit the new hub/spokes onto my older bonnie. I guess the other option would be to wire the spokes together like the MotoX guys.

BlackBonNYC

Two Stroke
That's kind of what I thought and was concerned about. I wonder if there's any cost effective way to retrofit the new hub/spokes onto my older bonnie.

You can bolt the new design (meaning a complete whole new wheel) right on. As a matter of fact, bikebandit only lists the new design for all bonnevilles going back to 2001. However, If you mean just to somehow buy a new hub and use it with the old rims, I'm not sure if that is possible because the rims might be designed specifically for the hubs

Gretsch

Rocker
You can bolt the new design (meaning a complete whole new wheel) right on. As a matter of fact, bikebandit only lists the new design for all bonnevilles going back to 2001. However, If you mean just to somehow buy a new hub and use it with the old rims, I'm not sure if that is possible because the rims might be designed specifically for the hubs

No a full replacement seems like the only way to go. Sounds like a lot of cash but I might spring for it if I decide to powder coat my wheels.

BlackBonNYC

Two Stroke
No a full replacement seems like the only way to go. Sounds like a lot of cash but I might spring for it if I decide to powder coat my wheels.

that is over 1200 dollars for the one wheel assembly from bikebandit. there are many cheaper ways to go. I wouldn't lay out that much cash if I were you. I think bellacorse might have an alternative

BlackBonNYC

Two Stroke
Yeah I just checked over at BB and that's too rich for my blood. What do you think Bellacorse has?

I've heard a lot of people talking about these "talon hubs" or something like that. They are supposed to be lighter. I'm not sure what the status is though. You might want to contact mike at bellacorse to find out about it.