A frank discussion about mods and horsepower....

Status
Not open for further replies.

biker7

Banned
Been a bit quiet lately here as the riding season winds down and what a great summer its been. Thought I would stir things up a bit and open up discussion to something near and dear to many of us...horsepower and how much it costs.

Many are here due to the refreshing free discussion without the deplorable cencorship of the rat forum in spite of all of the good membership there which over time will hopefully migrate here and already have as word catchs on about this site. Some may be perplexed about why cencorship occurs in such abundance there which seems to defy the nature of motorcyclists in general whom I have met in 35 years of riding who as a group are some of the most honest and at times apolitical group...refreshingly so in this stifling if not gag me PC age we live with so many different cultures and agendas. The obvious reason aside from the jackass moderator at the rat site who may really be a fat women in drag :lick: can you tell I am not a fan?....who takes the liberty unscathed to delete if not morph intent of much too many earnest discussions...is protecting commercial interests of their considerable aray of advertisers. Any hint or even innuendo directed toward same results in either thread closure which many times includes deletion of threads changing the entire focus and really content of discussion. Why is this relevant aside from why many true motorheads congregate here? Because in the interest of free speech, I want to turn over the rock that nobody seems to want to.

Enter perhaps the finest tuner of the reborn Triumph Vertical twin we have, TPUSA who is an obvious supporter of the rat site. Many Trimph hotrodders have their pieces on their bikes and laud the performance improvement and yet in spite of the copious testing that TPUSA performs, their site has a glaring shortcoming which many may even know what I am suggesting. They don't post horsepwer improvement relative to the products they sell. The reason is obvious in spite of all the great stuff they develop and test. They know what the hp nos. are. What they do is a conscious decision to not post horsepower because they believe the perception of power is a better sell. They have to believe that the horsepower increase when correlated to dollars spent don't add up for the average Triumph enthusiast. In other words, the horsepower nos. will not help promote sale of their products...only detract from it. Only plausible reason. Anybody know what the performance increase of say 813 cams is relative to 865 stock cams? Nope. A few members have dyno tested after the fact and by all intents the 813 cams are excellent and will create 5 more hp at maxiumum RPM all other engine components being equal but apparently, TPUSA who again knows what the numbers through their development elects not to post them. Take the 904BB kit. Another excellent offering...39 more cc's and a bump in compression. No dyno charts. Again they know the numbers but obviously don't believe the numbers flatter their price tag of $1K for the BB kit as well developed as it is.
Old hotrodders like to think in terms of horsepower per dollar. I think some new hotrodders may even like to think in those terms. The whole basis of marketing comes to mind and perception of increased power versus the reality of power relative to cash outlay.

Anyway before someone spends say $2K prior to purchasing a BB kit and 813 cams, don't you think the company that developed them should post dyno charts of before and after? Makes sense to me.

Thoughts?
George

Last edited:

Craigore

TT Racer
Did you call and ask them for an example of a dyno chart? I've heard that their customer support is top notch (both over e-mail and ESPECIALLY the phone). I think that they do also post their dyno readings on the site as well...

jfenton

Scooter
Been a bit quiet lately here as the riding season winds down and what a great summer its been. Thought I would stir things up a bit and open up discussion to something near and dear to many of us...horsepower and how much it costs.

Many are here due to the refreshing free discussion without the deplorable cencorship of the rat forum in spite of all of the good membership there which over time will hopefully migrate here and already have as word catchs on about this site. Some may be perplexed about why cencorship occurs in such abundance there which seems to defy the nature of motorcyclists in general whom I have met in 35 years of riding who as a group are some of the most honest and at times apolitical group...refreshingly so in this stifling if not gag me PC age we live with so many different cultures and agendas. The obvious reason aside from the jackass moderator at the rat site who may really be a fat women in drag :lick: can you tell I am not a fan?....who takes the liberty unscathed to delete if not morph intent of much too many earnest discussions...is protecting commercial interests of their considerable aray of advertisers. Any hint or even innuendo directed toward same results in either thread closure which many times includes deletion of threads changing the entire focus and really content of discussion. Why is this relevant aside from why many true motorheads congregate here? Because in the interest of free speech, I want to turn over the rock that nobody seems to want to.

Enter perhaps the finest tuner of the reborn Triumph Vertical twin we have, TPUSA who is an obvious supporter of the rat site. Many Trimph hotrodders have their pieces on their bikes and laud the performance improvement and yet in spite of the copious testing that TPUSA performs, their site has a glaring shortcoming which many may even know what I am suggesting. They don't post horsepwer improvement relative to the products they sell. The reason is obvious in spite of all the great stuff they develop and test. They know what the hp nos. are. What they do is a conscious decision to not post horsepower because they believe the perception of power is a better sell. They have to believe that the horsepower increase when correlated to dollars spent don't add up for the average Triumph enthusiast. In other words, the horsepower nos. will not help promote sale of their products...only detract from it. Only plausible reason. Anybody know what the performance increase of say 813 cams is relative to 865 stock cams? Nope. A few members have dyno tested after the fact and by all intents the 813 cams are excellent and will create 5 more hp at maxiumum RPM all other engine components being equal but apparently, TPUSA who again knows what the numbers through their development elects not to post them. Take the 904BB kit. Another excellent offering...39 more cc's and a bump in compression. No dyno charts. Again they know the numbers but obviously don't believe the numbers flatter their price tag of $1K for the BB kit as well developed as it is.
Old hotrodders like to think in terms of horsepower per dollar. I think some new hotrodders may even like to think in those terms. The whole basis of marketing comes to mind and perception of increased power versus the reality of power relative to cash outlay.

Anyway before someone spends say $2K prior to purchasing a BB kit and 813 cams, don't you think the company that developed them should post dyno charts of before and after? Makes sense to me.

Thoughts?
George

I would agree with you, it would be nice to know what each mod actually adds to horsepower and then you could decide if its worth the cost. Most of the time you only see dynos, from when someone did a whole bunch of mods at once, not a dyno after every mod. I am currently looking into the theory of resonant air box design. My first triumph i was quick to rip off the airbox and do pods, but the throttle response got worse, even though the top end was better. I think you could tune the air box to keep the good throttle response and still get enough top end.

biker7

Banned
Craig...not disputing the merits of TPUSA at all. Does beg the question why they wouldn't link a dyno chart to each substantial mod they sell...they sell many kit configs. A broader brush can be applied to airbox elimination and other mods as well. BTW...this is not an unusual dynamic. It pervades the aftermarket and made millionaires out of company owners that sell cold air induction kits to kids with Camaros which only make more noise and no more horsepower. If you can find dyno charts of each of their mods, please post them...would be instructive for all of us as a baseline against stock. Carlos has posted dyno charts of some collective mods and bonny vertical twin with extensive modification is capable of substantial horsepower.
George

Last edited:

biker7

Banned
I would agree with you, it would be nice to know what each mod actually adds to horsepower and then you could decide if its worth the cost. Most of the time you only see dynos, from when someone did a whole bunch of mods at once, not a dyno after every mod. I am currently looking into the theory of resonant air box design. My first triumph i was quick to rip off the airbox and do pods, but the throttle response got worse, even though the top end was better. I think you could tune the air box to keep the good throttle response and still get enough top end.
I have done a few airboxs using helmholtz frequency calculations...tuning resonant frequency to specific rpm. Have to be careful not to morph discussion into another airbox thread as they are similar to oil threads at the end of the day. :)...to nark versus not. I still have my airbox btw and don't plan to lose it on my EFI bike.
George

I think Propforward is a good moderator, but your endless discussion on how great TORs are got old as fuck, really fast.

ivar

TT Racer
As for the dyno numbers, I agree that it would be nice to see more sheets of typical mods. However, the numbers achieved will vary from bike to bike, and there's a potential for p-o'ed customers not seeing the numbers they'd expect.

I'm also into snowmobiles,which many like to mod with pipes/heads etc. Here, often the dyno numbers are used purely as marketing, HP figures getting exaggerated and inflated all over - to show higher gains than the competitors.

There's one of the most well-respected engine builders (Jack Struthers@Carl's Cycle in Id.) that simply refuses to provide dyno numbers for that reason, saying : "Our motor works where it counts- out on the hills" and "I've never been beat by a dyno"

Bottom line: a dyno is a wonderful tuning tool - should not be misused as a pure marketing tool

biker7

Banned
But you're my little schnookums Sweaty.
Can you please troll elsewhere?
George

Last edited:

biker7

Banned
As for the dyno numbers, I agree that it would be nice to see more sheets of typical mods. However, the numbers achieved will vary from bike to bike, and there's a potential for p-o'ed customers not seeing the numbers they'd expect.

I'm also into snowmobiles,which many like to mod with pipes/heads etc. Here, often the dyno numbers are used purely as marketing, HP figures getting exaggerated and inflated all over - to show higher gains than the competitors.

There's one of the most well-respected engine builders (Jack Struthers@Carl's Cycle in Id.) that simply refuses to provide dyno numbers for that reason, saying : "Our motor works where it counts- out on the hills" and "I've never been beat by a dyno"

Bottom line: a dyno is a wonderful tuning tool - should not be misused as a pure marketing tool
Really a good point. A disclaimer could be provided however. No doubt TPUSA knows a general range of hp increase having performed many many dyno pulls of different configs. It is a slippery slope and A/F tuning comes into play etc in terms of horsepower variation per mod....dyno's vary etc.
Triumph posts horsepower for the stock bike which is subject to variation as well....adding a big bore kit would change the output within a range by a given %.
George

Last edited:

mikenva

Rocker
GEORGE if you had been around very long you would have seen many dyno charts posted that show the gain that most parts add.I dont blame anyone from not posting what hp a part will give anyone because they dont know if the guy even knows how to tune a bike,if they screw it up and dont get the hp one post for the part then the parts guy would be liable for it.By the way i might be wrong but I think tpusa is a vender on this forum .Here you go saying so and so dont do this or that when the truth is you havent spent any money on mods and maybe you wont.You started your stuff on rat.net now your here doing it.You are not helping anyone ,not even yourself.You need to just ride your stock bike talk about what you do with your bike and get a life.

biker7

Banned
GEORGE if you had been around very long you would have seen many dyno charts posted that show the gain that most parts add.I dont blame anyone from not posting what hp a part will give anyone because they dont know if the guy even knows how to tune a bike,if they screw it up and dont get the hp one post for the part then the parts guy would be liable for it.By the way i might be wrong but I think tpusa is a vender on this forum .Here you go saying so and so dont do this or that when the truth is you havent spent any money on mods and maybe you wont.You started your stuff on rat.net now your here doing it.You are not helping anyone ,not even yourself.You need to just ride your stock bike talk about what you do with your bike and get a life.

Mike...would like to make it clear there is no disparaging of TPUSA. Lack of horsepower disclosure is common in the industry. I am hopeful they engage in the discussion here in fact and hopefully post dyno charts for their most popular products...but I don't expect that to happen.
Whole point of discussion about spending money is...what is the horsepower for dollar ratio? I know you have thrown a lot of money at these bikes and are knowledgable about them. If you know the horsepower increase per mod or kit that TPUSA sells, how about posting the dyno charts? No doubt there would be a lot of interest.
George

Last edited:

strokerlmt

Hey George.....good thread

When I sold my other bikes and decided to get into modifying my Bonneville I decided that COST VS RESULTS VS HP was not a priority. I don't have money to waste but making my Bonneville faster, to handle better, lighter and different is just fun.
I know there are two groups at SOUTHBAY. I know Matt very well and his passion for V TWINS and his records at the salt flats with a naked modified Bonneville is outstanding. So I lean towards the passion. The other grp obviously runs a business and they do a great job IMHO.
I rode a new stock 09 T-100 a couple weeks and it is like night and day. Love where I have ended up....wouldn't go back.

Your comments about this site. Right on.....RAT is just not me. To commercial, to controlled....just to big and cold. Really enjoy this site and don't frequent many others.

biker7

Banned
Hey George.....good thread

When I sold my other bikes and decided to get into modifying my Bonneville I decided that COST VS RESULTS VS HP was not a priority. I don't have money to waste but making my Bonneville faster, to handle better, lighter and different is just fun.
I know there are two groups at SOUTHBAY. I know Matt very well and his passion for V TWINS and his records at the salt flats with a naked modified Bonneville is outstanding. So I lean towards the passion. The other grp obviously runs a business and they do a great job IMHO.
I rode a new stock 09 T-100 a couple weeks and it is like night and day. Love where I have ended up....wouldn't go back.

Your comments about this site. Right on.....RAT is just not me. To commercial, to controlled....just to big and cold. Really enjoy this site and don't frequent many others.

Thanks for your perspective Stroker. No doubt your bike is a hoot to ride.
Cheers,
George

Status
Not open for further replies.