Retro Predator to TORs with pics

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
So, I felt that the Retro Predators were just too loud for me, and I wasn't crazy about the lack of heat shielding on the Preds.

So, I made a trade with a kind man from Iowa for a set of TORs to try to fix the situation.

Here are the predators:

Bikes-1.jpg

1st-right2.jpg

They look nice, sound fine except just too loud for me.

So I undertook the conversion to "downgrade" to the TORs in the interest of neighborly harmony!

Pred-pipe-joint.jpg

The pipe Joint using stock clamps and no spacers, but there was a little RTV on them.

Pred-Rear-Mount.jpg

The Rear mount.

Pred-Rear-Mount-inner.jpg

How it mounts on the rear. It is a very straight forward swap.

Tor-Joint.jpg

The TOR requires a mesh spacer that fills in for the different pipe sizes, same as stock.

Tor-Installed-rear.jpg

Mounts up the same way as the predators.

Tor-Installed-side.jpg

Looks completely stock!

I have to admit I did start the bike briefly with no mufflers on it at all, and it was VERY loud, like a HD Sportster with drag pipes.

However, even with the TORs I found that the bike is still damn loud, making me wonder what stock sounds like? The Retro Predators were pretty loud, but with a decent mellow sound. The TORs are nearly as loud, close, but with a slightly blattier tone. I guess they are OK, but don't be surprised if I go looking for something else. I really like the Arrow and other similar pipes, but I am sure they are also loud.

Overall I am OK with the swap since I gain a nice look with heat shields I can use to help keep a bag from spontaneous combustion.

Jim :cool:

Last edited:

tribear

Street Tracker
I'm a fan of the TORS stock look and sound. Looks great Jim. The TORS really are quite subtle when just cruising along. They do get snappy when you give 'er a good twist though eh!!!

sportyone

Street Tracker
So, I felt that the Retro Predators were just too loud for me, and I wasn't crazy about the lack of heat shielding on the Preds.

So, I made a trade with a kind man from Iowa for a set of TORs to try to fix the situation.

Here are the predators:

Bikes-1.jpg

1st-right2.jpg

They look nice, sound fine except just too loud for me.

So I undertook the conversion to "downgrade" to the TORs in the interest of neighborly harmony!

Pred-pipe-joint.jpg

The pipe Joint using stock clamps and no spacers, but there was a little RTV on them.

Pred-Rear-Mount.jpg

The Rear mount.

Pred-Rear-Mount-inner.jpg

How it mounts on the rear. It is a very straight forward swap.

Tor-Joint.jpg

The TOR requires a mesh spacer that fills in for the different pipe sizes, same as stock.

Tor-Installed-rear.jpg

Mounts up the same way as the predators.

Tor-Installed-side.jpg

Looks completely stock!

I have to admit I did start the bike briefly with no mufflers on it at all, and it was VERY loud, like a HD Sportster with drag pipes.

However, even with the TORs I found that the bike is still damn loud, making me wonder what stock sounds like? The Retro Predators were pretty loud, but with a decent mellow sound. The TORs are nearly as loud, close, but with a slightly blattier tone. I guess they are OK, but don't be surprised if I go looking for something else. I really like the Arrow and other similar pipes, but I am sure they are also loud.

Overall I am OK with the swap since I gain a nice look with heat shields I can use to help keep a bag from spontaneous combustion.

well Baron Von,
the add on pipes are really for alittle more get up and go, and in which case you may not want to carry the extra weight of bags anyway, whats wrong with placing a bag on the opposite side if you need it ?? shame your neighbours are calling to shots :chair:

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
well Baron Von,
the add on pipes are really for alittle more get up and go, and in which case you may not want to carry the extra weight of bags anyway, whats wrong with placing a bag on the opposite side if you need it ?? shame your neighbours are calling to shots :chair:

My neighbors are not calling the shots, I am. I like to be a decent fellow, and I am not big on noise, so now I have the stock pipes with the baffelectomy. Not loud at all, and the number plates will allow me to get bags on both sides!

P7061028.jpg

gcrider

Street Tracker
My neighbors are not calling the shots, I am. I like to be a decent fellow, and I am not big on noise, so now I have the stock pipes with the baffelectomy. Not loud at all, and the number plates will allow me to get bags on both sides!

P7061028.jpg

Jim,

Big ups to you for being a good neighbor/responsible motorcyclist. Loud pipes SUCK. I also run stock pipes with the bafflectomy, and it is just enough to improve the tone without being obnoxious.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
And then...

I decided to try some NZ Thunderbike pipes on the Scrambler to get ride of the crappy mileage the baffelectomy pipes gave me after swapping them on for the Tors.

Confused? Me too!

BeforeInstall.jpg

More beat than expected, but functional.

InstalledHeader.jpg

InstalledPipe.jpg

Done.jpg

Look decent, though ground clearance is slightly compromised, but sound fantastic! Not too loud, and gave me back the power I had with the Retro Predators!

I have a Bonneville side cover coming, and will install my Rentech Rack tonight!

taw1126

Scooter
However, even with the TORs I found that the bike is still damn loud, making me wonder what stock sounds like?
Stock bike is way too quiet...the often used "sewing machine" analogy is pretty accurate.

The TORs are nearly as loud, close, but with a slightly blattier tone. I guess they are OK, but don't be surprised if I go looking for something else.
I was surprised at the difference between TORS and the Norman Hyde Togas I put on last week. You're right- the TORS are "blatty" when you get on it...to me they make the bike sound agitated. The Togas have a deeper, mellower sound than the TORS, plus I think the slimmer look is closer to the old TR6C's. The downside is cost; I would have stuck with the TORS is I didn't stumble into a great deal on the Hydes.

whyme

TT Racer
Wow Jim!! You go through the moola on your scram, huh? I like my TORS...I do agree...a little blatty at times though. I try to not twist too much throttle around my hood. No one has complained... I asked around too.

JimVonBaden

Street Tracker
Wow Jim!! You go through the moola on your scram, huh? I like my TORS...I do agree...a little blatty at times though. I try to not twist too much throttle around my hood. No one has complained... I asked around too.

I'm a bit impatient to find what I like. Costly, but worth it to me.

Still, I usually get around to finding the right combination that works for me.

biker7

Banned
Whatever you do, don't let Mike see this thread as he will piss in everybodies cherios who likes Tors.
I believe Tors fit the character of the bonnie in both sound and look and what I have on my EFI T100. The sound is about perfect and word is the T100 Tors are a bit quieter than the Scrambler Tors. Threads about pipes are kind of like oil threads. Everybody has different taste what sounds good. I like loud pipes for about a minute and then I want something not quite so loud but I do hate the sound of a stock bonnie with the factory bottlenecks. At WOT the Tors still bark up a storm which I let all the cagers hear when I pass. If you short shift a Tors bonny, you could be riding a Honda 50 it is so quiet.
I would never criticize somebody who liked the sound of Preds better than Tors but will be the first to criticize those that put down Tors. If there is a better flowing muffler that has the same tone and overall decibel level as Tors, I will buy them but there isn't any.
Cheers,
George
My bike with the other kind of Tors:
Sixty8CoveronMyBonnie.jpg

mikenva

Rocker
Oh george is now a expert on pipes for scrams now to .Its great how smart he shows us he is.One can only compare what they have tried there self.Then there are those that have not had but one set of pipes that think there the best,these are the experts you got to watch what they say .I am the first one to tell you I dont know what pipes do what on a scram.George you need to ease up on your tor stuff you are becoming a joke.

biker7

Banned
No dude. Its you who is the joke since you want to go there. Maximum horsepower Mike. How about Mighty Mike? You like that handle? Mighty Mike with the 85hp bonnie that can get dusted by about 3/4 of all the squids out on the road. You versus the guys that designed the bonneville and created good pipes for it. You that put 2 into 1 loud ass "dominator" poor excuse for mufflers aka straight pipes on a beautifully designed bike only desecrating it in an effort to extract 2 more horsepower and make the bike look and sound like ass. That is who Mighty Mike is. If you want to follow me around and talk shit about Tors, just take a good look in the mirror palie. If you want to be an ass on the internet and say that Tors suck at every opportunity then go ahead. I will remind you of it every step of the way. Fart on with your badassed 85hp bonnieville that probably needs a bath with shitass pipes. :rock:
George

Last edited: