see it all the time.....

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
$1200!!!

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/mcy/1373823731.html
3nd3p63l55Qf5P25Sa99e6f5580fc2525154a.jpg

nice old bike -no papers... they are all over!! very frustrating, they guy has the same lame explanation they all do - "I took it on a trade along with another bike for a Ford Pinto, from my brother in laws friend who needed a car, blah blah, blah.....people are idiots.

there is nothing you can do, is there, to get "ze papers"?

:wtf:

EDG1911

Street Tracker
I'm not sure in other states but in FL if you get a proper bill of sale and then file a lost/duplicate title form with the state you can get a nice fresh title in your name.

from http://www.flhsmv.gov/DMV/faqtitle.html#7a :
What documentation is required to apply for a duplicate certificate of title when the original has been lost or destroyed?

* Form HSMV 82101, Application for Duplicate or Lost in Transit/Reassignment for a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Title Certificate, accurately completed by the applicant.
* Proof of Identity. (copy of Drivers License, Identification Card or Military Identification Card etc.)
* Lien satisfaction, if applicable.
* Motor Vehicle title fees ($75.25)
($10.00 additional for Fast Title Service)
* Vessel title fees ($6)

($5 additional for Fast Title Service)

Last edited:

MES

750cc
I'm not sure in other states but in FL if you get a proper bill of sale and then file a lost/duplicate title form with the state you can get a nice fresh title in your name.
That works in ca.

In Texas you get what's called a "bonded title". There's a small application fee, they make sure the bike (or whatever) isn't stolen, you show them some kind of bill of sale, etc and pay for a bond that gets attached to the bike's (or whatever) title.

I titled a Yamaha xs650 this way. I think in total it cost me around $150 to get the title to a title-less bike and took approx 2 weeks. The bond is based on the value of the vehicle. The bike I titled like this was valued pretty low so it was cheap.

whyme

TT Racer
I used its-titiles twice. works like a charm. One time the registered it on Maine. Sent me a Maine plate and reg. took that in and got a title because Maine does not need a title for some bikes. It does depend on the bikes age for some reason.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
I see a problem if the VIN# is already on a NY title somewhere. How could NY issue another title to a diifferent owner? There should be a problem with that - 2 owners with the same VIN, if it was challenged in court, what would the judge do?

Then again, pre 1973 NY had no titles, just registrations. So for an older vehicle, perhaps a title service would work. because it technically never had a NY title.

curezee

Street Tracker
Sal you live in New York...if you know someone in CT no papers are needed to register that bike. All you need is Bill of Sale and insurance. Any bike older than 1980 you need not any papers in CT. Hope this helps.

Oxblood

750cc
Yeah did it on my 50 ford. No problemo, but i got to get it inspected by a special dude before they release the title to me but from what my buddy that runs a custom/body shop up there in hickory says they do that for all vintage cars from outta state. Problem is I'm still chopping the top and havent found an engine for it yet.

Last edited:

ssjones

750cc
Just parting it out, you could recoup at least $1k. The tank alone would bring $200 or so.
From what I hear, it's a lot tougher in NY. A guy on one of my chopper lists just had his 70-ish HD FLH impounded at Americade because the tranny number didn't match the rest of the bike and came up on a stolen list. The tranny was from a bike stolen in Kansas in 1973! Long story short, they allowed the owner to remove the tranny at the compound yard and take the rest of the bike.