Another one lost

Thruxtonian

Street Tracker
"CLERMONT - A Clermont police officer was killed Wednesday afternoon in a motorcycle crash in Sumter County.

Officer Robert Sayers, 39 of Spring Hill, was driving home from work, heading west on State Road 50 at about 4:30 pm on his 2006 Triumph motorcycle when the crash happened. A 2004 Volkswagen Golf in front of Sayers stopped behind a school bus near County Road 757, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. Sayers' motorcycle then struck the rear of the Volkswagen.

Sayers was a 2-year veteran of the department, according to Clermont police Capt. Eric L. Jensen. He became a motorcycle officer this summer. He is survived by his wife and two children"---------------------------------

Seems Florida has been unusually dangerous for bikes lately, don't know why. Anyway, details are scarce, but saw this today. Doesn't say what type of Triumph, but good chance someone on here may have ridden with him. Note also that he was a motor officer, so theoretically much better trained rider than the majority of us. Honestly, this is one of the reasons I never went for a motors position. Would love the training, but don't really need 10 hrs a day of additional risk exposure.

Anyway, my thoughts to his family and friends.

Unfortunate. I wonder if he spaced out a bit and then rear-ended the car. I catch myself riding along and not paying enough attention sometimes.

Shamus

Scooter
Sorry to hear about the motor officer and Triumph rider. We had a Hardley rider here do something similar a week ago. Apparently slammed into the rear of a truck waiting at a red light to turn left. I could not figure out why the guy did not swerve around before slamming into the truck. There were no skid marks, so it was not known if they guy jammed on the brakes.

Rick

Kirkus51

Hooligan
I try to travel on roads that aren't used a whole lot and I try to avoid busy weekend traffic. I did the "flying W" over a car that didn't see me until it was too late. Glad he was stopped and I got slowed down enough not to slam into the car too hard.:yawn2:

nohawk

Rocker
RIP to that cop. But reading/hearing about these things can help us stay alive. I need to do a MSF course instesd of wheeling down the parking lot where the do the test ever weekend by my house

Mahart

Two Stroke
RIP to that cop. But reading/hearing about these things can help us stay alive. I need to do a MSF course instesd of wheeling down the parking lot where the do the test ever weekend by my house

Pine Tree Rd behind the school in the parking lot next to the original stadium. Old Stadium Parking lot They weren't listed on the MSF page yet, but I've seen them out there recently. Check in with the local bike shops too.

nohawk

Rocker
Yup, Its right around the corner from me. Im just kinda worried the instrctors will recognise me somehow. Im sure he's used me as visual aide by telling the students "hey look at that idiot" even though Im ATGATT every time I play in the empty parking lot across from where they train. I am pretty good on one wheel though:ride: even the cops around here said their cool with it as long as I dont make too much noise and no one calls in on me. Most these LGV cops are really good peeps

nohawk

Rocker
Pine Tree Rd behind the school in the parking lot next to the original stadium. Old Stadium Parking lot They weren't listed on the MSF page yet, but I've seen them out there recently. Check in with the local bike shops too.

Mahart sound like you know Longview pretty well, I think we,well you work in the same field (pipeline stuff) Ive welded,pigged,rebuilt valves,and done some NDT(x-ray)work. Things sure have slowed down out here though, next time your out here give me a shout, I might even grill you a steak.

whyme

TT Racer
Yeah, my sympathy to the family.

I crashed about 20 years ago. Rode some more and then hung it up for awhile. Just starting again this summer. I never took a course and I'm seriously considering it. I'm a different rider now but that only covers me-not the other wingnut drivers texting behind the wheel. I know one thing- I'm a lot more safety conscious now. Any thoughts on the courses?