My modernized Bonnie Black cafe racer!

localmotion411

Street Tracker
After listening to the video clip of my exhaust and knowing I was needing a full re-jet, which I didn't want to fool with if at all possible, I put the baffles back in. Back when I had first removed them, it was because it sounded a bit farty compared to my Ducati. Now with the baffles back in, it still sounds great -- much quieter and less poppy. And the best part, it runs very strong now. Adding the back pressure that the baffles provide richened up the mixture to get me much closer to ideal settings. I still need to re-jet but now it will be a small adjustment to get it just right; maybe a shim or two under the needles (or Thruxton needles). I think the last time I had it jetted for TORs, airbox removal and pod filters, they used 125 mains and 42 pilots.

I'll post a video of the bike with the baffles in soon.

PieMan

Two Stroke
I still need to re-jet but now it will be a small adjustment to get it just right; maybe a shim or two under the needles (or Thruxton needles). I think the last time I had it jetted for TORs, airbox removal and pod filters, they used 125 mains and 42 pilots.

Nice looking Bonnie, looks better with the fender illiminated.

Shite, you must be running dead lean with 125's and pods :eeek:, you really should get 138 -140's in immediately, even if it's just temporary until you get it dyno'd and jetted. You really should :kick: whoever re-jetted your bike last time. TORS might be restrictive, but pods definitely aren't and the induction has more effect on jetting than exhaust.

localmotion411

Street Tracker
Nice looking Bonnie, looks better with the fender illiminated.

Shite, you must be running dead lean with 125's and pods :eeek:, you really should get 138 -140's in immediately, even if it's just temporary until you get it dyno'd and jetted. You really should :kick: whoever re-jetted your bike last time. TORS might be restrictive, but pods definitely aren't and the induction has more effect on jetting than exhaust.

I may be wrong about those; it may actually have been 145's. I need to check the invoice from when the work was done. If they are 145's, it may be running too rich.

The only symptom at this point I'm having that needs a big correction is that I have very little power off the line, at low throttle and low RPM. Power jumps up vastly over 4000 RPM. With no airbox, pod filters, and Arrow pipes, this thing should be able to squeal a tire off the line, but it can't right now. Maybe I should get a jet kit and start experimenting.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
With no airbox, pod filters, and Arrow pipes, this thing should be able to squeal a tire off the line, but it can't right now..

At low RPMs?? How did you reach that conclusion? These things have very little torque at low revs - I can see if you popped the clutch at 3500 RPM or something, but not just hitting it with the clutch out.

localmotion411

Street Tracker
At low RPMs?? How did you reach that conclusion? These things have very little torque at low revs - I can see if you popped the clutch at 3500 RPM or something, but not just hitting it with the clutch out.

I'm talking about higher RPMs regarding the off the line performance. I know they are supposed to reach the bulk of their power at higher RPMs, but in stock form when I rode my bike away from the dealer it had a great deal more power at lower RPMs. Right now it feels like it is struggling to get going. In stock form, it would chirp off the line with a clutch pop. Now, it won't at all. Should have more power now the airbox is gone and freer flowing pipes have been installed.

localmotion411

Street Tracker

I wonder if your jet setup will work for my bike -- the only difference between them seems to be the exhaust, and I'm not sure they are different enough to warrant different jetting.

localmotion411

Street Tracker
I've found myself steadily trying to lower the front end of the bike with every mod I make.

I cut 1.5" off the bottoms of my headlight brackets to lower the headlight and make room for the clip ons just below the top triple clamp; this got my headlight more in line with the tank, but I still want it lower -- I guess new headlight brackets are in order.

I bought the clip ons used from Carlos at TPUSA to try out (LSL offset match from Spiegler). I've determined they have too much rise to them, so yesterday I tried swapping left w/ right and flipping the upside down to lower the position of the bars. No room due to the headlight brackets, so I removed the brackets just to get a feel for whether or not I liked the comfort of having the bars lower. I think it feels great, the only problem I'm having is with the brake and clutch lines (much too long now).

So in order to lower everything up front even further, I've got to get a new set of headlight brackets, a new turn signal bracket, and probably a new set of brake/clutch lines (stainless braided). So here's what I'm looking at:

Headlight brackets: http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc187.htm
OR these painted black: http://www.bellacorse.com/bcc043.htm

Turn signal bracket: http://british-customs.com/triumph-bonneville-front-turn-signal-bracket.html

Last edited:

localmotion411

Street Tracker
Ok, I need some help with my jetting to decide whether or not to leave my baffles in or take them out again. My current setup is as follows:

Airbox removed
K&N filters
Arrow 2 into 2 w/ baffles
145 mains, 42 pilots
No idea about idle screw settings
Running strong but feels like it should have more power below 4,000 rpm than it does, almost like it has 10% power until I reach 4,000 rpm, then it starts to pile on, and hits 100% power at 6,000 rpm.

I think I'd like to remove my baffles again to make the most power possible, but to get the jetting right, should I increase my mains to 152 or 155 and try it out? Should I try Thruxton needles, shims, etc.? I just need to know if I'm going to be too lean with the baffles out, which I'm assuming I will be, and how to get it closer to being right.

Any thoughts?

localmotion411

Street Tracker
Turns out I was too rich. Changed my 145 mains to 140 w/ 42 pilots and 2.5 turns out, and it is running much stronger. Not sure if it is too rich now, so I ordered a set of 135's to try out -- if it doesn't get better, I'll put the 140 mains back in.

While I really liked the functionality, I didn't like how it was mounted, so I removed the Veypor dash. Also got a new billet triple clamp from British Customs to replace the stocker, and it has a recessed area on top for mounting the stock gauge bracket flush with the top of the triple clamp, which further enticed me to put the stock gauges back on. Painted stock gauge bracket black. Painted everything but the raised Triumph letters black on my tank badges using black automotive touchup paint. Relocated my heatsink to the horn location, relocated horn to underneath the tank, installed stick-on Formotion clock and thermometer to cover the yoke holes in the triple clamp, installed LSL headlight brackets, installed turn signal relocation bracket, and lowered the headlight and clipons as low as they would go. Now all I need is a custom D9 gauge bracket and some mini gauges. Here are some pics:
DSC01897.jpg

DSC01905.jpg

DSC01915.jpg

DSC01910.jpg

Last edited:

buckstoy

Street Tracker
Thanks! We need to catch up soon, check out each other's bikes, and go for a ride some time.

Definitely want to check out your ride, see if I can steal some ideas! I wish Bumpers was still open on Spillway Rd, I always wanted to ride down there and check out one of those cruise nights.