Fire Breathing Dragon

Gretsch

Rocker
I was reading the "CR carbs vs boring out the stock CVKs" and was wondering about the reason that our bikes cant be moded to get something in excess of 100 HP. I know weight is a limit on the speed and that a sport bike will always be faster but what is it that prevents the bikes from being competitive with some of the less powerful naked bikes like the Ducati 696 or even the Street Triple?

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with my Bonnie and if I wanted fast would have gone with a faster bike. Just wondering.

Bonniebret

Rocker
That's a good question. Burt Munro once said anyone can buy a fast bike but it takes someone special to take a bike and make it faster than it was meant to go.

Gretsch

Rocker
That's a good question. Burt Munro once said anyone can buy a fast bike but it takes someone special to take a bike and make it faster than it was meant to go.

Burt was such a cool guy. I remember watching the extras from "The Worlds Fastest Indian" and hearing him talk about the 29 Indian. I like the fact that he opted for the kerosene headlamp because the electric one was $10 more expensive.

Delbert

Two Stroke
Honestly, it's the way our Bike engines are designed. They were designed for longevity and not high RPMs. With high RPM bikes you have light cranks,pistons,rods,valves,thin-walled cylinders,aluminum light-built frames,light wheels, and a host of other throw-away components that will give you the thrills of speed, BUT at the cost of not lasting very long. Whereas, the Bonneville was designed to last a lifetime with heavy duty crank,well designed cylinders and head to last for over 100,000 miles,heavy steel frames and other highly dependable items(electronics can sure give us fits though). Yes, you can make the Bonnie faster and run at higher RPMs, but you also generly still have the heavy steel frame, steel laced wheels and other heavy factory items and you will have maintenance and repair issues later down the road. With high performance, there's high repair/maintenance costs. There's nothing wrong with putting on aftermarket exhaust or other aftermarket intake,rejetting,gearing,tires to help the Bonnie be a "little faster", but these items won't harm the longevity of an already overly built bike that was made to last. We, might not get to the destination any faster, BUT we'll sure arrive in style. There's other things that account why the Bonnie can't compete with speed(and still last for many generations), but weight and the way all things go together is just some of it.
Del

mikenva

Rocker
delbert our motors are no better built to last then sport bikes.They can be built to have over 100hp and still last many miles.But it cost money to get that kind of power.These bikes are alot of fun with some hp.They are heavy but they are cheap to buy to.I think all bikes now a days last along time if you take care of them.

an honest 85hp 65 ft lb at the rear wheel 904cc bonnie isn't out of the question, and you'll still have less $$$ in it than a stock HD softail.

If you want 100 hp you'll need to be in the neighborhood of 1000cc or better. Speed costs money.

Gretsch

Rocker
an honest 85hp 65 ft lb at the rear wheel 904cc bonnie isn't out of the question, and you'll still have less $$$ in it than a stock HD softail.

If you want 100 hp you'll need to be in the neighborhood of 1000cc or better. Speed costs money.

How much HP are you getting out of that monster Sweat? I know you're pretty heavy on the mods.

haven't been on the dyno since making a few changes, but I'm expecting to be just over 80hp when I'm done tuning, maybe 84 ish hp to the rear wheel. I was making 66 ft lbs at the wheel last time I hit the dyno.

Gretsch

Rocker
haven't been on the dyno since making a few changes, but I'm expecting to be just over 80hp when I'm done tuning, maybe 84 ish hp to the rear wheel. I was making 66 ft lbs at the wheel last time I hit the dyno.

That's fucking awesome! Anything more you want to do to it as far as power?

thanks man! It's a lot of fun to ride!

Lately, I've been playing with an Innovate a/f ratio gauge that I bought a few months ago but never got around to installing until recently. It's amazing to actually be able to see what's going on with the a/f ratio in real time vs seat of the pants guessing. I've been playing with the carbs a lot lately. Once it is tuned properly I'll get back on the dyno and hopefully lay down a badass run.

Then, I'm going to call my buddy Carlos up at TPUSA and order some of their 813 cams and also a Pieman remapped ignition box. Hopefully that combo will put me north of 85hp.

Long term, when funds allow, I plan on tearing into the motor again and building it up to either 994cc or 1087cc depending on funds. I'll probably just go 994cc because stroking the crank is so damned expensive.

Gretsch

Rocker
Long term, when funds allow, I plan on tearing into the motor again and building it up to either 994cc or 1087cc depending on funds. I'll probably just go 994cc because stroking the crank is so damned expensive.

Gee-bus! I wonder what a 1087cc BB would do. I'm guessing rip the spokes right out of the stock wheels.

Bonafide

NBR founder
Scott's TT bike with the stroker motor ended up making something like 112rwhp ...

You wanna go fast (on a Bonnie) - go see Matt/Carlos with a sack full of cash. Just remember, the brightest stars burn up the quickest.

strokerlmt

Saw Carlos last nite in Cambria. His bike sounds incredible.....looks incredble.
Should be a lot of Bonnevilles and Thruxtons here today for some coastal riding and a BBQ saturday night.
Matt and Carlos at SouthBay do an incredible job building motors. Sure expensive but if you are not a mechanic worth it.
LMT