Sellin my Sportster. Question: comfort of the Thruxton?

I currently have my 04 1200 sporty up for sale & plan on getting a T-100 or a Thruxton in the spring. I love the looks of both but wonder about the comfort of the Thruxton after a very long ride...any thoughts or stories appreciated, thanks!!

Goin-Commando

Street Tracker
I currently have my 04 1200 sporty up for sale & plan on getting a T-100 or a Thruxton in the spring. I love the looks of both but wonder about the comfort of the Thruxton after a very long ride...any thoughts or stories appreciated, thanks!!

I'd go to your local Triumph dealership and request a test ride on both of the bikes that you ask about and come back here and give us your own opinion, well, because that opinion really is the only one that truley matters.

That said, I really liked the looks and the handling of the Thrux, but knew my old guy back wouldn't like riding it for very long. So I bought the other and did things to make it look more like the Thrux.

Welcome aboard Bonnieandclyde and good luck on your mission..
Also, what model 1200 Sporty do you have? I have two Sportsters and love those bikes too.

I have to say I did not like the the thruxton seating at all. Maybe due to my height (6ft) So I went for the bon for that reason. But I have been very impressed with the Bons that have been thruxtonised by many here, and actually prefer them to the original personally. I must say tho that I found the Scrambler seating better than the Bon, tho chose bon more for its look. Scrambler does seem to have lots of advantages over bon in performance dept. Go test ride them is what I done and would advise.

Motley

750cc
The Thruxton is definitely not a long distance tool. You could turn it into a Bonnie though, which would improve the comfort.

drlapo

Hooligan
I'm 60 years old and sold my Sportster and got a Thruxton; never regretted the move
the Thruxton is much more comfortable than the Sporster, my back could not handle the sit up and beg ridding position of the Sporster and I had the "standard" model, 883R
I rode my 05 Thruxton to Bennington this year: 4 hours up, 9 hours + on Saturday(at insane speeds) and 4 hours back and it was perfect
I have changed the handle bars to Tarrozzi high boy race bars but the pegs and seat are stock, the 09+ bikes wil not need that change as they are now equipped with "normal" handlebars

I have the custom model, I still like the bike, but getting tired of extending my legs forward, infact most of the time I run with my legs on the back pegs when I'm solo.

fender

Street Tracker
I had problems with my back and the stock Bonnie riding position. After adding rearsets and super bars it's much more comfortable. Even being 6' the riding position doesn't feel cramped. In hind site I wish at times I went with the Thruxton.

drlapo

Hooligan
The Thruxton is definitely not a long distance tool. You could turn it into a Bonnie though, which would improve the comfort.

one of my first impressions of the Thruxton was what a great high speed tourer it would make
I guess that's why Baskins and Robbins offer more than just vanilla: everyone has different tastes
my Speed Triple is more comfortable but there is less wind blast, with the flyscreen, on the Thruxton; or maybe it's just slower

simpson

TT Racer
This summer I rode my Thruxton from North Carolina to California, played around in California, and then rode it back to North Carolina.

I am 38, have broken both wrists previously, 6 ft tall, 210 pounds.

I am sure that there are many more comfortable bikes, however the stock bike can be ridden all day.

-simpson

Texas94fs

Hooligan
if you are concerned about comfort just get a t-100, coming from a sportster you won't like the low bars and rearsets. I find it to be comfortable, many don't.

I appreciate all the input, I think I'm leanin more toward the Bonneville, I have been very impressed with the mods done to the bikes I have seen on this site...

Motley

750cc
one of my first impressions of the Thruxton was what a great high speed tourer it would make
I guess that's why Baskins and Robbins offer more than just vanilla: everyone has different tastes
my Speed Triple is more comfortable but there is less wind blast, with the flyscreen, on the Thruxton; or maybe it's just slower

"A great high speed tourer"?? While it is "great" it'll rarely be spoken of in the same company as "high speed" and "tourer". Everyones perceptions will be different.......it just depends on how badly we abused our bodies, as youths.

drlapo

Hooligan
"A great high speed tourer"?? While it is "great" it'll rarely be spoken of in the same company as "high speed" and "tourer". Everyones perceptions will be different.......it just depends on how badly we abused our bodies, as youths.

high speed= faster then the max cruiisng HD speed of 45mph
tourer = further than the next bar

Go for the Thruxton

I am 56 years young and enjoy every minute on my Thruxton. Done a few long rides so far from 200km to 700km. After each long ride the body feels better than if I travelled in a car. I tried a Bonnie at first though it was only a short ride and found the bars too high. Felt like I was flapping in the wind. Suppose you can change them.

Chris