5.0" rear wheel Thruxton

Henry

Banned
I have decided to go for a rear wheel change from 3.5 to 5.0”
This will open for a wide tire ( 160-180 ) , and here I need some inputs.

Should I stay with the metzler and choose a 160/70-17 or change
to a bridgestone 170/70-17. Anyone with experience out there?

ggRAT

Street Tracker
Bonneville with Wide Wheel

Lots of tire options for a 5" wheel. I'm on my second set of Pirelli Scorpion Syncs. Below is a picture of my Bonneville (not Thruxtion) with the tire on the 5.5" wide wheel kit from British Customs (also Triumph Performance USA).
GREG

Attachments

• Wide Rear Kit.jpg
    Wide Rear Kit.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 0

Thruxtonboy

Scooter
I have decided to go for a rear wheel change from 3.5 to 5.0”
This will open for a wide tire ( 160-180 ) , and here I need some inputs.

Should I stay with the metzler and choose a 160/70-17 or change
to a bridgestone 170/70-17. Anyone with experience out there?

Hi Henry,

I also decided to buy other rims and tires. I bought me a set of Dunlop Qualifier R(ace) R(eplicas) and I'm very impressed by the sticky way they felded wenn I picked them up. But, I'm wondering how they behave in the rain, unthought I'm not keen on driving my Thruxton in the rain. For that I have a Bonnie T 100. But, here are some pictures of the tires.
The front-rim is a 3,5 J x 17 inch and the back-rim is a 4,5 J x 17 inch (Or maybe 5J). As soon as the rims are laced I bring new pictures.

HPIM2431.jpg
HPIM2433.jpg
HPIM2427.jpg
HPIM2433.jpg

marthruxton

Two Stroke
I am running a 5.5 inch rear and I am using the Dunlap Qualifer.(Not the RR) I went with a 170 width because I didn't see any need to go wider. I am getting around 3500 miles out of a rear. For my needs I don't care about mileage or rain performance as I don't ride in the rain.
From my expierance this has been a wonderful tire. It is light, sticks real well and gives good feedback when it is starting to slide.(not often)

Skidmark

Scooter
Wide rear

Just a heads up I fitted a 5 inch rear rim and a 160 Conti tyre to the rear of my Thruxton.
All went in well clearances all round, but when I took it of the centre stand something was binding, it wouldn't roll backwards.
Back on the stand nothing touching all looked good back off stand and locked rear wheel.

The stand (standard Triumph part) won't fit around a 160 tyre so I've taken that off again.

We live and learn.

Skiddy
Brisbane Oz

Skidmark

Scooter
5.5" Excel rims

Another heads up is that Excel make a 5.5" dimpled rim but the 5" is plain, no dimples.
This means that if you use the 5.5 you can reuse your original spokes assumming that you have a 17" rim on a thruxton.
The non dimpled rim needs spokes that are a few MM longer.
Skiddy

Thruxtonboy

Scooter
I bought me a set of Dunlop Qualifier R(ace) R(eplicas). The front-rim is a 3,5 J x 17 inch and the back-rim is a 5 J x 17 inch

Today I shoot some nice pictures from the Thruxton, with the new wheels, the tires and also the new exhaust. Now I'm waiting for the (NH) forkbrace and the (NH) rearsets.

HPIM2474.jpg
HPIM2473.jpg
HPIM2471.jpg
HPIM2461.jpg
HPIM2468.jpg
HPIM2470.jpg
HPIM2463.jpg
HPIM2453.jpg

Texas94fs

Hooligan
Thing looks really amazing, doubt those tires will last long though, bet tons of fun is packed into their short life!

2KLBUP

Scooter
I see you retained your centre stand. Very cool. I suspect you had to trim the inner leg stands...
Do tell.

Cheers-

2KLBUP

Scooter
Consider also that you can safely run a 170/60 on a 4.5" rim, and certainly a 170/70. It gives you the tyre you want, and reduces the unsprung weight over a 5" (or larger) rim. Just another idea to kick around...
Cheers-