Scrambler Bafflectomy??

rmak

moped
I was just thinking that before Guy spends his money on TOR's, has anyone tried to drill the baffles out of the stock Scrambler silencers like some do to the Bonnevilles? That might be interesting. I got my stockers sitting around, I might try it just for the hell of it.

:pick:

NEPatriots9

Scooter
I would recommend just spending the money on TORs, bafflectomy sounds OK, but not nearly as good as the TORs, don't give you the little boost that the TORs do either.

rmak

moped
You're probably right NE. I'm still going to see if I can gut one of those things like a big chrome walleye.

Mista Vern

Scooter
I did one and am happy with the results. First step is pull th mufflers and cut just enough of the ends off that the baffle can come out. Since I have never cut a straight line in my life I took my mufflers to (where else?) a muffler shop where they did the job for $5.00.

After the ends are cut out you need to break the tack weld that holds the baffles in - I did this using a socket just smaller than the inside of the muffler and whacking it with a hammer. It does not need to be hit very hard.

After the rear baffle is out you can use an extended drill bit in the inner baffle if you want a little more noise. Now the bike sounds much better and it only cost $5.00! :)

I did mine too,except I went through the end with a hole saw,rather than saw it off,because I wanted to retain the rolled end.Then I took a bit extension,and drilled some 5/8 holes in the first baffle in. That's as far as I went,because it was actually starting to run a little lean right off idle,and I didn't want to mess with the carbs just then.

It don't make it loud,but it deepens the tone,makes it "throatier",and is a hundred percent improvement over the sewing machine! In fact,it's so good,I'm giving it two thumbs up: :finger2:

1759AG

Scooter
running lean/power

I'm no expert of course. I talked with the infamous Triumph Mechs when I put the shorties on about HP (haven't seen/felt any real problems). Have not messed with the jetting. Still getting 47 - 53 mpg (depending on how I twist the wrist) and I don't hear the sewing machine as much...

GuyM

Street Tracker
"I was just thinking that before Guy spends his money on TOR's"

I appreciate you watching my wallet! :) Actually, yeah, I feel like I've spent more than enough on the Scrambler this year, so I'll likely put off any pipe buying until next year anyway.

Bike. Tires. Ventura rack/pack system. Tank bag. Modre tool kit. Flyscreen...

Then add two helmets, two motorcycle jackets, etc... I've had a blast putting 5000 miles on the Scram this year, but am growing a tad weary of opening my wallet for it - for the time being anyway.

TOR's and a dyno tune from our local bike tuner guru are likely next year.

Later, Guy

rmak

moped
Yeah, but Guy. you know it's worth it. What a cool bike! Case in point. I was out riding all day and a funny thing happened. I met up with a buddy of mine who rides a custom HD. When I pulled into the parking lot to meet him about 6 people came out of the shop and starting asking me about the Scram. I felt bad and kept saying, "But look at that one!" pointing at my friend's Harley. No body paid any attention, even though it probably costs about three times as much. This little foreign lady walked up and started asking, "How much for dat bike?" over and over. I asked her if she meant mine or the Harley. She looked at the custom bike and said,"No, not dat big ugly one." I could just look at my buddy and shrug...with a big grin on my face!