Brake leak, at wits end (ranting)

drooartz

Scooter
So my Bonnie, a 2007 model, bought in March from the local dealer (a demo bike, considered a new bike purchase as it had never been registered) has a leak at the front brake reservoir. I posted about this on the other forum, and found out that this is not altogether uncommon with these bikes. I tried the tip of cleaning and drying all the parts carefully, but it didn't help.

So 6 weeks ago I dropped the bike off at the dealer for a warranty repair. Dealer tried replacing the diaphragm, and when that didn't work they put in to replace the entire assembly under warranty. Reasonable so far.

The part never came from Triumph, so yesterday when I went down to get some answers the dealer decided it was time to pull a part of a new bike and get me on my way. So far so good. So they got the new part on (took about an hour or so), and all looked good. I headed on my way (I'm an hour from the dealer). Had to leave the bike for a couple hours in the city before we could head home, so it sat in a parking lot. Fast forward a few hours, and I'm on the freeway heading home, and look down at the reservoir.

You guessed it, a nice little stream of brake fluid.

This is absofuckingloutely ridiculous! This is a new, modern bike. I've never had this sort of issue on any other bike. I'll be back at the dealer on Tuesday raising holy hell. I could try and fix it myself (I'm mechanically able), but I feel strongly that this is their responsibility to fix -- I've only ridden about 700 miles on the bike, it's got 4300 or so total. I don't feel comfortable riding the bike, as at best the fluid will strip paint, at worst I'll have brake issues. I couldn't in good conscience sell the bike, as I could never mask a safety issue like this. I really like the Bonnie, but am feeling a bit bent over right now.

Drew, maybe something like this will fall under a lemon law? I'd raise holy hell alright, but I'd maybe push for another bike on the floor. I was just there the other day and they had a 2007 T100. Play hardball with these guys. I've had okay luck with Accolade as far as warranty issues, so maybe they'll try to make it good for you. Good luck.
Mike

Soulrebel

Street Tracker
I am having the same issue. The dealer has the new assembly on order. I'm not so hopeful now. Between this and the cam cover, I feel like I have a "real " Triumph.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I dont think it's a 'common' issue as others are leading you to believe. I've never seen one leaking as you describe - and seen a shitload of new Bonnies. The cam cover - yeah - they 'weep' a bit. Hey, could be worse - they could drip or pour oil like an older brit bike. ;)

As for your leaky M/C issue ... have the dealer FIX it pronto. If they cant or want to drag their feet for whatever reason, get on the horn with Triumph USA (HQ'd in Newnan, Ga) and let them know if this problem isnt solved most riki-tiki then you'll start involving a lawyer on your behalf.

drooartz

Scooter
Quick update -- took the Bonnie for a 200 mile or so shakedown run today. Kept a very close eye on the brakes, and they seemed fine today. If I put my finger over the little notch in the cover, it came away slightly damp some of the time, but not all the time. I suppose it's possible that they overfilled the new one. That's what I'm hoping (as it was definitely leaking last night).

I'm now planning on putting some miles on the bike over the next few days, and I'll see if it looks like the issue is gone. Hopefully it's settled in and won't be leaking anymore.

Soulrebel -- good luck getting that part in. I waited 5 weeks, and Triumph still hadn't sent out the replacement M/C. They wound up taking one off a new bike for me. Hope yours comes in faster.

One upside to all this is,that you found out your dealer is at least somewhat customer service minded.After waiting more than a reasonable amount of time for your part,they took it upon themselves to steal one off a floor model,rather than make you wait further. My dealer flat out refused to do that for me on my clutch lever,even though it was going to put my bike out of commission for a month. I told him to stuff it,and ordered some Pazzos,that were here in 5 days.Of course they also cost 5 times more.

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
So my Bonnie, a 2007 model, bought in March from the local dealer (a demo bike, considered a new bike purchase as it had never been registered) has a leak at the front brake reservoir. I posted about this on the other forum, and found out that this is not altogether uncommon with these bikes. I tried the tip of cleaning and drying all the parts carefully, but it didn't help.

So 6 weeks ago I dropped the bike off at the dealer for a warranty repair. Dealer tried replacing the diaphragm, and when that didn't work they put in to replace the entire assembly under warranty. Reasonable so far.

The part never came from Triumph, so yesterday when I went down to get some answers the dealer decided it was time to pull a part of a new bike and get me on my way. So far so good. So they got the new part on (took about an hour or so), and all looked good. I headed on my way (I'm an hour from the dealer). Had to leave the bike for a couple hours in the city before we could head home, so it sat in a parking lot. Fast forward a few hours, and I'm on the freeway heading home, and look down at the reservoir.

This is absofuckingloutely ridiculous! This is a new, modern bike. I've never had this sort of issue on any other bike. I'll be back at the dealer on Tuesday raising holy hell. I could try and fix it myself (I'm mechanically able), but I feel strongly that this is their responsibility to fix -- I've only ridden about 700 miles on the bike, it's got 4300 or so total. I don't feel comfortable riding the bike, as at best the fluid will strip paint, at worst I'll have brake issues. I couldn't in good conscience sell the bike, as I could never mask a safety issue like this. I really like the Bonnie, but am feeling a bit bent over right now.
Had the same problem!! Replaced the top w/ a chrome one from NB - much better machined & no problems since! Can mill the stock POS or buy a new one that looks better? Its a common problem. The strocker is really a POS!!!

Mine was fine for 4500 miles. Then took her over a mountain pass at 10,000 feet and she started leaking and has leaked ever since. The brake fluid ran down the hose and stripped paint from the upper triple tree clamp before I noticed it the first time.

Dealer has ordered parts under warranty. Should be here next week. Hoping for the best.

normandy

Street Tracker
Maybe I got a motor made on a Wednesday but , knock on wood, I have had no leaks from anywhere on my 05 with over 30000 K.

CAPTDON

Street Tracker
Cap

Just got back from a ride & looked @ my cover. All is still well. If you look @ the stock cap - the machining/ casting rreally sucks!! When I got the new cover from NB it was as true as can be! Still - no leaks. I wanted a better look- espec after the paint stripping the old one did! Mill your old one or get a new one. The stock one is a piece of crap!! It may be OK till you take it off the 1st timwe!! It looks better & doesnt leak!! Thats a +2!!

Good warranty response so far...

Took her in today and had the 6,000 mile service (had her 6 months now) and a new front brake master cylinder installed as well as a new upper triple tree clamp which had the paint stripped by the brake fluid that leaked. Rode 50 miles home through the hills and everything looks tight so far.:)

Pointed out to the Service Manager that the brake fluid also permanently stained the gas tank. He will submit a warranty claim to Triumph. So far the warranty response has been good. Hoping it will continue.

drooartz

Scooter
Good luck to you. My replacement (other than the first ride home from the dealer) has been leak-free since.

I've looked at the replacement caps, but they're not selling the black ones anymore and I don't want a chromed one. Might try to clean up the existing cap the next time I have it off.