Getting older or wiser?

DavidC

Rocker
After nearly 12k miles with M bars, I put my stocks back on today. Whoa, a better fit in many areas: back, wrist, knees, butt. I also put on the one Mirrycle mirror I have, minus a few parts, on the left. I like the look of a single mirror but must get used to the new view.
I am pleasantly surprised with the comfort of the stockers. My only concern was cornering because the M's kept me down on the front end, but I just spun around for 30 miles and leaned on the front end in corners. Not bad at all.
184.jpg

183.jpg

185.jpg

Without mirrors above the bars in my way, I can practice that smoothy move the men on Hardlys use - the teflon down low inverted and upside down peace sign!:eek:

Last edited:

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
I use a single bar-end mirror too. It does look better. And better than two bar-ends, in my opinion. I get a better view now than with both stockers. It took a little getting used to. But I can see behind me (and to the other side of the bike) and a full view to the right (your left in the US). I just have to check my blind spot now before changing lanes, which I'd have to do anyway with the stock lollipops.

Good looking bike David.

DavidC

Rocker
Thanks, Frank. I like the look of nothing over the bars - as low a profile as I can get. One mirror's enough, for where I usually ride, and is legal he in NJ.

UraniumC

Banned
David...

bike looks might fine. what prompted you to go back to the stock bars?

I've kept mine stock for the reasons you mentioned but have been tempted....

DavidC

Rocker
what prompted you to go back to the stock bars?

I am going to take a long trip and wanted to try out stocks for a bit before I am committed to the road. The M's are cool, but at 6'2", I find to move feet for brake/shift meant more pressure on the arms and wrists. And the slight lean worked on the lower back. Being upright a bit more makes all this more fluid and plants my ass better in the seat.
Maybe I'll get bored after a while on throw the M's back on, but I am liking this new position now.

Bonafide

NBR founder
I just rode from Atlanta to Nashville and back on Ol Blue, it has some upright bars on it. Not sure if they're stock or Westerns - but riding while sitting straight up like a fire plug meant ALOT of wind buffering at interstate speeds. Made me white knuckle the grips a few times from hangin on too tight - fear I was gonna get blown off the bike. ;)

This was just on the interstate and while running 80-85mph with traffic. Everytime I jumped off the super-slab and rode Hwy 41, it was very enjoyable because the slower pace meant less wind bufferin and gave me a chance to relax and take it all in.

I think stock bars feel GREAT sitting still and low bars feel a little too racy sitting still. Get going above 40mph and that changes bigtime.

I think I'll keep my clip ons, but I wouldn't mind getting a second bike (bonnie or scrambler, or another xs650 or something) with some nice wide and flat dirt tracker style bars for bombing around town.

DavidC

Rocker
david, I'm younger and not as wise, if you are going to sell those Mbars let me know.

thanks

I'm going to hang on to them [no pun intended] because I'm sure I'll want a change after a while, but hell, they are pretty cheap new.
Yeah, different types of riding, and roads as well, do call for different positions. I do know that as I age, I am finding that I ache more from things that never before bothered me. Wind blast has never been much of an issue before, but I guess I'll find out.

FrankBlack

Two Stroke
I just rode from Atlanta to Nashville and back on Ol Blue, it has some upright bars on it. Not sure if they're stock or Westerns - but riding while sitting straight up like a fire plug meant ALOT of wind buffering at interstate speeds. Made me white knuckle the grips a few times from hangin on too tight - fear I was gonna get blown off the bike. ;)

This was just on the interstate and while running 80-85mph with traffic. Everytime I jumped off the super-slab and rode Hwy 41, it was very enjoyable because the slower pace meant less wind bufferin and gave me a chance to relax and take it all in.

I had a similar experience riding Edinburgh [Scotland] to the south coast of England several months back. It's around 600 miles I suppose. I have NH westerns on [wide at 35"] and an upright sitting position in gale force winds at 80+ mph was hard work, not to mention scary as hell. It gave me a chance to experiment with riding position though and it is possible to - fairly comfortably - lean forward and get your head down to tank level, which makes a big difference. Feels a bit like superman with your arms out to the sides. I probably looked a bit weird to the drivers I was passing, but WTF...would have looked weirder with butthuggers and a red cape.

1759AG

Scooter
having options

With the exception of the grips; changing bars for specific riding isn't that difficult. Having options for riding styles could be the best bet. I don't think I could EVER put the stock Scrambler bars back on. They do a great job of collecting dust in the garage though.

Have you ever tried flipping the mirrors upside down? It does take some getting used to (the view), but I think aesthetically looks better. Just keep an eye on the clearance for your tank at full turn (know from experience).

RonD

Scooter
mbars if there set up correctly so they sit flat your only leaning slightly foreward in a neatural riding position, therefore not becoming a human windsock they are a huge improvement over stock bars in my veiw..
some people have vibation problems its easily cured with bar end weights and they dont look to bad either..

Last edited:

D9

Vendor
David... I'll ride a long way just to get to a good twisty road
somewhere, and I've got the stock bars on... tried flanders bars for while, not
good, did things to my neck muscles, was a dealbreaker... went back to stock...

Similar experiences to observations as already mentioned... highway speeds can be a muther... I tend to tuck down... and yup, arms out 'cause they have nowhere else to go, LOL... and that helps... but once down to to twisty two lanes, stock bars are fine, & plenty of leverage... fyi my bike is pretty much stock except for pipes, Hagons & Progressive springs...

Lox & I traded bikes for part of a ride last month... as you may know, his
is not only seriously lowered, he's running M-bars & a racing seat, gutted airbox, K&N's, jetted, Emgo's... well sorted, noticeably quicker than mine... and I gotta say, felt like
a totally different machine, one that just wanted to EAT corners... I realized
I'd definitely drift toward pushing my modest skills envelope out
to the ragged edge on his bike... turned it back over to him grinning & admitted I'd be more likely to misbehave on his than on mine. :D

Another observation... on the lowered bike, shorter shocks... great in corners if the pavement is smooth... less planted-feeling if the curve was
less than smooth or if bumps were encountered mid-turn... in that situation I liked mine better...

DavidC

Rocker
stock bars are fine, & plenty of leverage... ...

Leverage - that's the word, that's the difference for me. I notice that even moving the bike around, garage, slow parking lot speed, is easier. Wind buffeting I notice more only when it happens to be a windy day. Lower, sportier bars are cool and have advantages, but I use the Bonneville as an everything, everywhere bike, so I keep my mind on the larger view. And I only have one bike too!:D
I need another bike, a spare, a test subject for all types of avant garde experiments...

Hedge

American Infidel
Dave - I have run the stock bars since she has been uncrated. I like the up right position for comfort reasons. I was seriously considering the Western bars but the width is just to wide for all the L/S I do. What I can tell you for a fact that if you like your new stock handlebar position and the comfort it gives you . . . do what I did and roll them back about 2" and take it out for a ride and tell me what your think! :)