Hagon progressive fork springs

I've been wading through a lot of old posts and everyone seems to be contradicting each other. So for the sake of simplicity and laziness, can someone help me out?

I just got some Hagon progressives for the front forks from a forum member and I'm going to be installing them today.

What weight fork oil should I use? I think hagon recommends 20w from the stock 10w.

Second, do I need spacers? I don't think I do from what I'm reading. The hagons seem to use the stock spacers just fine.

Thanks guys. Sorry if the post is redundant.

Arkwright

Two Stroke
I use Hagon progressive springs and the stock spacers are just fine.

I also used 20w fork oil that came with the springs from Hagon and they work great.

Bob80220

Scooter
I also have Hagon progressive front springs on my T100 and use 20W fork oil as recommended by Hagon. I am very pleased as the difference from stock is quite noticeable...one thing that I really appreciated was no more front end dives when you grab a handful of break.

Bob

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I just needed a definitive answer from people who I knew were reliable sources.

That T-Rat is hell. When I google searched for it that site came up and everyone was just bitching and arguing back and forth about how their setup was "best".

Thanks again!

Any definitive word on how much oil to use? I've heard you measure down from the top of the fork with the fork legs fully extended, wheel in the air, some amount of millimeters.

?

Bob80220

Scooter
I'm trying to remember if it was 150 or 155 mm. Easy enough to get the answer...call Dave Quinn with Hagon in Connecticut and he will give you the correct air gap measurement...I see you are in Kingston, MA. I know that area well...lived in Manomet back in the day. I rode all over the South Shore and the Cape on my 69 Bonnie in my early years...

Bob

tv guy

Scooter
Any definitive word on how much oil to use? I've heard you measure down from the top of the fork with the fork legs fully extended, wheel in the air, some amount of millimeters.

?

The recommended air gap is between 120-140mm.

Here's the short version on how to do the swap-

Get a service manual, it will tell you how to remove the forks and caps it also has the torque wrench settings for putting it back together. Once you have one fork removed you pull out the spacer, washer and spring. Dump and pump the fork to get all the old oil out. Fill 500mm of your favorite oil and pump again to get the air out. Compress the fork, don’t force it you will feel it bottom out. You measure the level WITHOUT springs etc. installed and with the fork compressed. To measure the air gap I bought a turkey baster, marked the depth and sucked out the extra oil. It works like a charm (and for a cheap bastage like me cost $1.49 US). Stick the business end of the baster into the fork, slide it down to the mark you measured for your air gap and squeeze the bulb. It will suck up a bit of extra oil (you may have to empty it more than once). One word of caution when putting the fork back together be careful not to cross thread the fork cap. You have to compress the spring a bit to push the cap down to the threads and the cap is made of soft aluminum.

:cheers:

Hey Bob, Yeah we're just about getting ready to freeze our asses off for the next 5 months. There's some good riding here though.

I take a ride to the vineyard every summer. That's pretty fun.

Thanks for the info TV Guy.

BlueJ

Blue Haired Freak
I use Hagon progressive springs and the stock spacers are just fine.

Interesting, because when I did mine, the length of the progressive spring was nearly the same as the length of the stock spring PLUS spacer - so I made my own spacers out of pvc pipe that were maybe 20mm long - compared to the solid 8" or so that the stockers were.