Removed the SAI from my T100 yesterday

Demar

Two Stroke
2010 T100 with BC Predators. I removed the SAI yesterday and the ride today was fantastic. The backfire popping on decel was completly gone, 100% gone. The throttle response was much much smoother, no more squirrely throttle. The exhaust seems a bit less loud and a bit softer without the bark and pop. I'm very happy with the changes. :D

Frank

Scooter
Dumb question. What are SAI's? Are you talking about the Air Injectors? What keeps the computer from sending a Fault Code? My back firing and popping DRIVES me Crazy
Thanks-Frank

Demar

Two Stroke
Dumb question. What are SAI's? Are you talking about the Air Injectors? What keeps the computer from sending a Fault Code? My back firing and popping DRIVES me Crazy
Thanks-Frank

Secondary Air Injection, yes, the air injectors. Some block the airbox tube with a plug, others remove the entire unit. I chose to remove the entire thing. Early EFI guys added a resistor to fool the Ecu. I bought a cable to upload/download maps to the bike and downloaded free EcuTune software to disable the SAI code function.

I'm more pleased at my smooth throttle response now but almost as happy the SAI popping is gone.

Read here.... edited by admin - do NOT link to another forum tech articles

Frank

Scooter
I had the Triumph shop upload the program to support the TOR mufflers when I bought my '09 Speedmaster and since switched to nearly open mufflers/pipes. I also have removed the air box & plugged the hose from the air box. It back fires and pops constantly when I let off the throttle and it has a small hesitation coming off idle. The dealer tells me I must have the Tune Boy program ($400) loaded before the SAIs are removed. I am contemplating installing the 50 ohm 10 watt resistors to fool the solinoids and then remove the SAIs. I'm not familiar with downloading re-programing software and then uploading it to the Triumph's computer. I'm sure I'd screw it up. Do I have another option other than Tune Boy? Any ideas for someone in the Dallas area that could perform the computer download/upload?
Thank you in advance-Frank

Demar

Two Stroke
I had the Triumph shop upload the program to support the TOR mufflers when I bought my '09 Speedmaster and since switched to nearly open mufflers/pipes. I also have removed the air box & plugged the hose from the air box. It back fires and pops constantly when I let off the throttle and it has a small hesitation coming off idle. The dealer tells me I must have the Tune Boy program ($400) loaded before the SAIs are removed. I am contemplating installing the 50 ohm 10 watt resistors to fool the solinoids and then remove the SAIs. I'm not familiar with downloading re-programing software and then uploading it to the Triumph's computer. I'm sure I'd screw it up. Do I have another option other than Tune Boy? Any ideas for someone in the Dallas area that could perform the computer download/upload?
Thank you in advance-Frank

I downloaded the free EcuTune software to my laptop. It took me a couple of tries to find the correct download with the correct exceutable file. Then I uploaded my map already in the bike. I turned off the green check in the SAI box and downloaded it to the bike. The ONLY thing I changed was the SAI code function. It was very easy.

Demar

Two Stroke
:huh: That's pretty lame. I moderate a car forum and we allow links to other tech forums.

I don't understand this either...unless there is some copyright infringement I'm unaware of.

I prefer this site and only post here. The fact remains that this site does not nor ever will contain ALL content relative to Triumphs.

I thought we are all here to share knowledge.... I searched here first for information on removing the SAI. This site didn't have the info I needed (at least I couldn't find it) so I looked elsewhere.

I appreciate the time spent in keeping this site running. I was just trying to share something that substantially improved my riding and Triumph owning enjoyment.

Isn't that why we are here?

Rick

Last edited:

henrys

Street Tracker
Yeah, that's how the internet works. It's a web of information with links connecting everything together.

Frank, I'm in dallas and have tune ecu and the proper cable. I'm running a custom map on my 09 EFI bike with the same mods as you and it runs great (MUCH better than the tors map). Send me a private message to exchange the details and I can help you out.

Bigted

Two Stroke
Hey Henrys, when you say 'custom map' is that one you created by way of a dyno?
P.S. Any pics of your '68 Interceptor? One of my fav vintage Brit bikes.

henrys

Street Tracker
I have a map that's been spliced together from a few stock maps. It runs really good. PM me for details

Here's a a pic of one of the interceptors.

IMG_20110925_193139.jpg