a friendly reminder

neuroboy

750cc
Asshole trying the beat the green (and clearly didn't see me) at an intersection took a left in front of me and required me to lay the bike down. Thankfully I had just gotten the green and was going slow so the lay-down was a low speed and I rolled off the other right and escaped with a lightly bruised right thigh and sore right shoulder. That said, if wasn't wearing a helmet I would probably have a concussion or worse.

What I didn't do (and that put me in harm's way) was wait a beat or two when the light turned green before taking off (clearly that doesn't put me in the wrong, but I know if i'd been more vigilant it would've been a one-finger salute instead of a bike in the shop).

Her insurance will end up paying and I'm not hurt, so it's more a pain in the ass than anything. A little reminder that when I'm riding the bonnie to go get breakfast I need to focus more on the road and less about tasty johnny cakes from the Deluxe Town Diner.

strokerlmt

Glad u are ok......both you and the bike will mend......
They do not see us and a lot of them are dumb shit drivers.
"press on"
LMT

D9

Vendor
Glad to hear you're ok. Reminder indeed... the harsh reality is... it's getting
weirder and worse out there on the streets... cannot be too vigilant.

Paused to take that extra look last night, and the "gentleman" behind me leaned on the horn. Scared the you know what out of me. I thought about letting him have a taste of my gloved leather fist, but let it go, for some reason. There are times I wish I was a Hells Angel.

mark66

TT Racer
Good to hear your OK. Seems like a lot of guys here are having a turn with these shitty drivers. I have to say it's been making me more aware while riding.

Hope you can get your bike back soon while we still have some decent weather for riding around here.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
The first look is left, then all around, far out for anyone running then closer left again while keeping the cars coming the other way in my peripheral vision. Then let the clutch out. Like you I am more nervous with a car behind me, but its the evil of two lessors. I am really more scared of a car running in from the left.

greg120549

Scooter
First you see a green light,next you look either way for red light runners,then keep an eye out for the bastard who wants to turn in front of you.Ain't life grand ?
And don't forget to check your mirrors when that red light comes on in front of you and the cowboy behind you thinks you'd make a nice bonnet ornament to discuss with friends.

T-boy

Rocker
Glad to hear you came out of your lay-down relatively unscathed, neuro. Stories such as yours are exactly why I take the less traveled back roads when I commute back and forth to work on my bike.

neuroboy

750cc
the f*ckers at Geico (the other driver's insurance) want to TOTAL the Bonnie. They quoted me a blue book of $4300, a shop estimate of $3600, and a salvage value of $2000. in their mind i think it goes like this:

(blue book - salvage) < shop estimate . . . so they want to just cut me a check for $4300

i just emailed them a list of after-market stuff I've done that comes to almost $3000. . . I'm hoping that'll be enough to convince them to not just give me a check and wash their hands of this. I don't want a check, I want my damn bike fixed!

This is a totally new situation for me so any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. please.

Last edited:

neuroboy

750cc
OK, I just got off the phone with the Geico guy.

Option 1: they cut me a check for $5200 and change + cash for a new helmet
Option 2: they cut me a check for $3388 ($5200 minus the salvage cost) + I get my unrepaired bike back + cash for a new helmet

The estimate for the repair is $3600 and that's pretty well inflated. I'm sure I could talk to the shop, cut out the fluff, and get it well under $3300. Clearly the 2nd option is the better one.

whew.

neuroboy

750cc
a new wrinkle. having talked to the shop i now have two more pieces of info:

1) because Geico decided to deem the bike "totalled" (even though it was a strictly financial decision), in order for this bike to be certified to legally be back on the road I have to replace all parts included on the with totally new parts

2) because Geico decided to deem the bike "totalled" (even though it was a strictly financial decision), the bike will forever be branded with the scarlet letter of a salvage title.

sh!t.

. . . honestly, as much as I love the bonnie there's a very small piece of me that wants to take the check and put it towards a used Street3. sigh.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
third option - take the $3300 check, fix it yourself, save the rest of the money and don't worry about the title. Keep pictures of everything - if you sell it, I think you will still get at least $3,000 for it, salvage title or not.

Just be sure work out a deal with the bike shop, buy a few parts from them and make sure they will still inspect if for you.

But seriously - I would go for another bike.

drlapo

Hooligan
a new wrinkle. having talked to the shop i now have two more pieces of info:

1) because Geico decided to deem the bike "totalled" (even though it was a strictly financial decision), in order for this bike to be certified to legally be back on the road I have to replace all parts included on the with totally new parts

2) because Geico decided to deem the bike "totalled" (even though it was a strictly financial decision), the bike will forever be branded with the scarlet letter of a salvage title.

sh!t.

. . . honestly, as much as I love the bonnie there's a very small piece of me that wants to take the check and put it towards a used Street3. sigh.

nope: no salvage title unless the bike is "sold" to GEICO. if you keep it the title does not change

neuroboy

750cc
third option - take the $3300 check, fix it yourself, save the rest of the money and don't worry about the title. Keep pictures of everything - if you sell it, I think you will still get at least $3,000 for it, salvage title or not.

Just be sure work out a deal with the bike shop, buy a few parts from them and make sure they will still inspect if for you.

But seriously - I would go for another bike.

the rub there is the inspection has to be done my the MA Highway Patrol. . . it's out of the bike shop's hands there. . . all parts have to be bought new with receipts as proof for the MHP.

Maybe I take the check and, given that I'd be putting the bike up for the winter in a couple of weeks anyway, I take the winter to make my decision keeping an eye on Craigslist and ebay the whole time.

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
How about posting a picture of the bike as is so we can see?

ask Geico what they would pay on the bike without totalling it.