No power

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I have just fitted a BC air box elimination kit and I don't know if it is a related problem but for some reason I now have no start (nothing when the button is pressed), no indicators, no headlight, no brake light. I do have parkers and tail light but when I flick the light switch to high beam I loose the parkers and tail light. The battery is fully charged and there is power going to the flasher unit and starter solenoid and no fuses seem to be blown. It seems like a common earth issue, like I haven't hooked something up but there is nothing I can think of. Has anyone got a suggestion?? Cheers TD

koifarm

Hooligan
You may have knocked loose a connection or three, best bet right now would be to go back into the bike, under the seat and double check all connections, taking them apart and re inserting all plugs and connectors. If you have a maintenance manual it would be a big help to make sure you matched plugs when hooking back up. Fuses would be another issue as well, make sure all fuses are good by visual examination, look closely though, some of those rascals are difficult to see and verify.
Good luck, keep us posted....

mark66

TT Racer
Maybe go back over the connectors you took apart. I know when I did mine I moved some of the wiring around, so maybe you didn't get one of the connectors "snapped" back together.

I'd better add a +1 to Koi, he posted as I was typing this one.

Twodogs

Street Tracker
I have no idiot lights either (neutral or oil with key on not running). Thing is I didn't have to unplug anything except for the brake light switch to help with the re route of the fuse box harness to behind the frame. All I did was drop the two relays (Indicators and headlight start) off their original mount and clip them onto the new position and the same with the start solenoid and as for the fuse box I just pulled it through to the left hand side of the bike and run it through behind the frame and mounted it up. Looking in the manual I cannot see a common earth or power that would take out the headlight, the idiot lights, the indicators and start up (I can jump it at the solenoid because I have power just no signal from the switch) and still being able to light up the park/tail light until it is flicked to high beam. Faaarrrrrrrrrrrk I hate electrics. Problem is I have been doing a few mods up in the headlight bucket, I took out the indicator and high beam idiot lights so I could fit them as LED's into my speedo which is now mounted in the bucket (I will be showing the mod in projects as soon as I get the cow running) but this has already been completed and tested and working fine just before the air box mod so I cannot see anything that I have done wrong here. I was really hoping that someone might say that it is something simple like "Oh yeah that's simple, it is just your flux capacitor plug behind the bike particus (Latin term) has come dislodged, ezy pezy now go riding Ol Boy and enjoy the sunshine, fresh air and the taste of bugs". Oh well back to it....FAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRK I hate electrics.....didn't I already say that?

Twodogs

Street Tracker
All I can say is FAAAAAARRRRRRK I am an idiot. They need an electrics course for dickheads...first leason... black plugs go to black sockets, white plugs go to white sockets....daaahh. My so called everything is right in the headlight mod, well I did have it all apart to paint it and when I put it back together I was of the belief that the plugs only fitted into only one matching socket and I have now found out that they can be swapped over.....my first clue should have been that ones black and goes to the other black one and the other is white and....yes you guessed it.....goes to the other white one. I am blaming sleep deprivation, a few late nights/mornings working on the thing, my missus reckons I have short naps all the time but I reckon the ones while driving don't count. Hey I am only telling you guys as I know you won't go around spreading it say...like on the internet. Geee whiz you do a million great things in your life and then you have sex with one goat and hey what do people remember!!!! Oh well she is running now, the sun is still shinning and the bugs will probably still be delicious.

mark66

TT Racer
Glad you found the problem before you gave up and lit the beautiful thing on fire! As far as that goat is concerned......well