Picked up an acoustic guitar, finally!

Kframe

Street Tracker
Some of you may remember a few months back I posted asking for some advice about acoustic guitars. ( Linky )

Well, I sold most of my electric gear on eBay (still haven't sold the Strat and amp yet, but they're on the block) and also sold a pistol I never use.

After lots of shopping/reading/trying/hemming/hawing... I picked out a nice Taylor today.
She's listed as used, but the guys at The Podium said they know the guy and he's basically a collector not a player.
So, it's spotless!
Not even any wear on the frets from strings, no scratches, dings, nothing!

I was thinking of getting a GA or GC 3 series, which are sitka & sapele, but when I saw/heard this GC5 with the cedar & mahogany I got very interested! The abalone inlay is pretty sweet, too.

I just love everything about this guitar, it sounds and looks awesome. I'm still just a hack, but now am even more motivated to practice at least a little bit everyday and really get the most out of this gorgeous instrument.

GC5small1.jpg

GC5small2.jpg

GC5small3-1.jpg

Those pictures kind of suck, really, you can't really see how the light moves on the grain, but trust me, it's amazing!
:)
-K

koifarm

Hooligan
Very nice score Kframe, those Taylors are beautiful instruments, I have one.
The one you got is a sweet one, the mahogany body is generally used and appreciated because that body really projects sound further out than would a spruce or other wood.
It's a wonderful acoustic instrument.
Was there a pickup inside?....often they install those as they make the instrument. If not they are easy to install if you find a need for one.
Thanks for posting the pics....good luck with the practice, practice, practice.....

fender

Street Tracker
Nice find. Used is definitely the way to go, you can find some great bargains that way. I've really enjoyed playing guitar with my daughter. She plays acoustic and I play electric. She's by far is a much better player than I ever will be but it's fun hanging out with her and trying to keep up.

Enjoy!

Kframe

Street Tracker
No, no electronic pickup, I actually didn't want that option. (Hopefully I don't regret it shortly).

I went in wanting to fondle a GA3, and they had one, but it had the electronics in it, and I just (at this time) really wanted an acoustic-only.
Also looked at a few other Taylor's, and a nice lightly used Guild D40 Bluegrass Jubilee (list $2000, asking $800) but it just didn't talk to me like the GC5 did.

It was kinda hard to choose, like a kid in a candy store, because I don't have enough experience to know about different body styles (dreadnought, grand auditorium, grand concert, etc). The one criteria I went in with, was that I wanted solid wood, no laminates. I've heard talk that the newer laminates sound 'almost' as good as guitars with solid wood parts, but, I dunno, I was just stuck on avoiding lami's. With some help from the salesmen, who explained a lot and also played each of them for me a bit, I was able to make the right choice.
-K

Last edited:

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Nice gitfiddle you have there! I love my taylor as well...real comfortable to play and has a great tone!

mondrian5

Scooter
congrats Kris!

Taylors are really nice! Very strong but light. That one's handsome.
I just got my 1941 018 martin back from the factory. I had them reset and refret the neck. I've really been missing it.

I believe you've got children - me too - but if you can, leave it sitting out. You'll just naturally play it more.

enjoy!

mondrian

Kframe

Street Tracker
Taylors are really nice! Very strong but light. That one's handsome.
I just got my 1941 018 martin back from the factory. I had them reset and refret the neck. I've really been missing it.

I believe you've got children - me too - but if you can, leave it sitting out. You'll just naturally play it more.

enjoy!

mondrian

Yep, those Martin's are pretty incredible, and those early ones can be worth $$$, I saw one on Antiques Roadshow that some guy bought at a flea market for pennies, worth about $20K. :crazy:
I steered away from the Martin's as that is my brother's first name and I just didn't want his name on my guitar (we get along, but you know, we're brothers, so it's one of those things).

Yes, we have a 7 week old, so he's not going to crawl around and destroy all my nice stuff... YET.
The guys at the guitar shop recommended keeping it in the case, for humidity reasons, at least from November to May here in MN as we get very dry air through that period. But, it is gorgeous and I'd love to have it on display as much as reasonable.
-K