Easy fast/cheap valve cover fix

At 18000 miles, my valve cover gasket began to leak on the left front of the engine. I took the seat and tank off and when I removed the first bolt there was a rubber like gromet under it which looked like it had shrunken somewhat.

I went to OSH and bought 4 3/16"x7/16" rubber washers and 4 7/16" zinc flat washers.

I removed the rest of the bolts but not the cover. I placed the zinc washer on the bolt first and followed with the rubber washer. I reinstalled the bolts and torqued them to 16nm, using a cross pattern as I torqued them.

No more leakage and I have 350+ miles of road riding on the repair now and the the original gasket is again oil tight. Total cost, less than $5.00

I'll retorque the bolts in another 300-400 miles if they keep holding. I'll follow up periodically with this thread as to how well this works as mileage accrues on the repair.

Last edited:
Triumph released different washer/spacers/etc for this very reason. The later ones to come out are thicker than the originals. You reached the same conclusion they did!

cantilever

Scooter
I think the part number change was for a different reason. Source of materials, etc.

I've got 28 total, 12 are the new part number, the rest are the old. You can't tell the difference between them (I picked up 4 more today at the triumph dealer just because I was there). The new part number will likely compress over time like the old one did. That might be a difference though - different rubber / gasket compound. The metal washer seems to be the same material between them.

I cut out and save the metal washers on ones to be discarded - takes a bit to clean them up, but it's a nice thin washer to use in case you do get a leak.... only seems to be a problem on the twins... none of the triples have the problem, even when the washers are really flat!

Last edited:

RoyNC

Street Tracker
I had the same type of leak with my scrambler. Fortunately I was under the 2 year warrantly and the dealer took care of it. They did the same thing as the OP except I guess they used triumph parts. They threw in a new gasket as well. Free for me and took no time at all.

Apparently it is more common with newer twins than later models. Granted there has never been a recall, but Triumph knows it is a problem for some bikes.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
Triumph released different washer/spacers/etc for this very reason. The later ones to come out are thicker than the originals. You reached the same conclusion they did!

Exactly! I fixed mine by placing the new washers on top and left the old ones that were pretty crushed underneath them. Torqued them down still to spec and I had the initial seepage as well but then she has been bone dry ever since. Going on 12,000 miles and no problems. I think it was the one flaw with these engines but hell...it's easy enough to fix.

cantilever

Scooter
I wondered the same thing.... the older valve covers from us automobiles were like that...of course, it was almost an artform to keep them from leaking!

A little more torque if they leak.... tighten to 10nm, if they weep, add a quarter turn. Repeat until no more leaks.

B06Tang

Cafe Racer
I wonder if tossing the bolts with the shoulder and using a standard bolt torqued to about 10nm would solve this flaw?

I considered that as well but then I balked at it because what is going on under that top cover. It seems like the crushers are a good idea...torque it down to where there is a cushion supplied so I guess I went the route of increasing the cushion versus increasing the bolt. It has worked so far for me without any headaches whatsoever.

I would like to add that I recently picked up a 2007 Bonnie and just like my 2006, she started seeping as well on the very first ride. I doubled up the cam washers and same exact results as with my 2006. I'm about 5,000 miles into my 2007 now since I have done that and same results...zero headaches.