Tiger stalling

drlapo

Hooligan
there is a world wide problem with the new 800 Tigers: they stall
it happened to me yesterday while on a liesurley backroads ride. The engine stalls when coming to a stop and even between shifts. Pull in the clutch to shift and it stops. It can be bump started or started on the button; then there is a very low idle speed. this happened 8 to 10 times in an hour. I shut it down and let it sit for 10 minutes. it operated fine after the restart
the Tiger 800 Forum discusses the problem which may or may not require a new ECU map
does anyone here have the problem?

Bonafide

NBR founder
I did. Mine started stalling once outsides temps got hot and riding for a few hours. The issue seemed to be a very lean @ idle program in the ECU mapping - suspect that's so it can get thru the emission requirements. There is an ECU update from Triumph - your local dealer should update it for free. I solved the issue when I installed my Arrow exhaust (no baffle). The remapping for the Arrow is much richer across the board. Gas mileage suffered, but I didnt buy this bike with my 'carbon footprint' in mind. I still manage 41-42mpg .. even when I twisted it's neck all day in the mountains .. and I can live with that.

BTW .. and this is my opinion, be careful what you read on Tiger800.uk and exactly WHO is replying to your concerns. There's more than a few who were giving advice BEFORE they even owned a bike .. and they're especially dangerous now that they do. There's also a running issue with the 'chicken littles' and 'lemmings' of the world. That place seems to have an over-abundance of both. "they sky is falling" and "me too!"

drlapo

Hooligan
they are very enthusiastic about TUNE ECU on that forum
you can download many free maps and reprogram your ecu with your laptop
there was a guy at Bennington this year with that program and he reset my son's engine light and programmed a Speed Triple for an aftermarket exhaust

Bonafide

NBR founder
I guess if I was one to constantly 'play' with my intake/exhaust/etc .. or just a techno-geek by nature, then I might go buy the $30 OBD-II type Audi cable and have at it, but that just aint me.

drlapo

Hooligan
the Tiger 800 stalling problem still exists worldwide
the engine just stops when the throttle is closed
my dealer can't fix it and Triumph is experimenting with solutions

Bonafide

NBR founder
the Tiger 800 stalling problem still exists worldwide
the engine just stops when the throttle is closed
my dealer can't fix it and Triumph is experimenting with solutions

Whoa there chicken little. Not all Tigers are having the issue, only a small % seem to be affected. Mine was solved when I changed the exhaust and tune and that seems to resolve the vast majority of that small affected percentage.

drlapo

Hooligan
yeah I know its only a small percentage but its strange that it is occurring worldwide so maybe it's not a design problem but maybe a parts problem; I wonder if the affected bikes all have a certian part from a certain supplier that is not up to spec.
maybe a recall will happen for bikes between certain VINs

Bonafide

NBR founder
Yeah .. so why dont we save "the sky is falling" public notifications til "we" actually know what's what.

Maybes, Wonders, and Perhaps are all anyone knows right now and carrying over that rhetoric from Tiger800.uk lemmings is a bit annoying. Just sayin.

Bonafide

NBR founder
it is a real problem; not imaginary rantings
it is damn annoying and possibly dangerous

I never said it's not a real problem or imaginary rantings. The LEMMING factor of the me too mentality on tiger800.uk is most definitely annoying and you are making an attempt to bring that crapola here .. along with some 'the sky is falling' by trying to make a blanket statement as if ALL Tigers are stalling. That's BS and you've been called on it.

How bout I make some of my own maybes? I'm guessing your bike still has the stock muffler and you havent uploaded an alternate tune? Ahh .. dont bother, it was rhetorical.

drlapo

Hooligan
I not aware of makeing a statement that all Tigers are stalling. My tiger is stalling.
it is a serious and dangerous problem that Triumph is aware of.
"stalling" is not the best word for the prgblem: the engine just quits or stops when the throttle is shut
is it software? is it hardware? I don't know but it is a major problem
this why most states have lemon laws: 3 tries and the bike goes back
if Triumph can fix it I'll let you know. Then we can stop with the "maybes"
and yes I do enjoy the UK Tiger site

drlapo

Hooligan
1485 bikes are included in the recall (USA)
build dates September 2010 to June 2011
VIN range 466334-514871
"a new software tune was designed and tested and entered producton, quality assured parts are fitted after the recall final vin"
"under deceleration conditions engine may stall"
"the engine management software was identified as the casue of the non compliance"

from NHTSA notice dated august 22, 2011