Mustang GT vs. GT500 - Review in NYT

Sal Paradise

Hooligan
Comment -
I just thought this was kind of fun, as a long time Mustang wannabe owner, ever since I climbed in the windows of my buddy's 1966. I met a guy the other night in the parking lot of Home Depot .He had a new GT and he was glowing and raving about the car. he basically said " Run, don't walk, to the Ford dealership and get one right now!"

Here is the article in today's NYT -
IN a world of infinite resources, one without responsibilities or consequences, I would drive nothing but V-8 Ford Mustangs. Each morning I’d get out of bed, fire up one of my perfectly toned muscle machines and spin its rear tires until great clouds of burned rubber billowed skyward.

I’d spend the day racing all challengers, quitting only when it was time to head home for some sleep — and to dream of doing it all again the next day.

Review of Ford Mustang
07WHEE1-articleLarge.jpg

wheels-mustang-blog480.jpg

In Sunday’s Automobiles section, John Pearley Huffman reviews the 2011 Ford Mustang GT and Shelby GT500, two cars equipped with V-8 engines that inspire fantasies of tire-smoking mischief.

The GT, with 412 horsepower, delivers an irresistible, if slightly anachronistic, sensation of “giddy, glorious, romping fun,” Mr. Huffman writes.

No trigger-shifted, computer controlled, automated transmission can match the elemental experience of shifting a fine manual gearbox behind a great V-8 engine. The Mustang GT is one of an ever-shrinking number of new cars at any price that offer this pleasure.

The pony’s more powerful stablemate, the Shelby GT500, however, renders brutish all that is precise about the GT, at a price premium that Mr. Huffman finds inexcusable.

It takes a concentrated effort to haul the GT500’s Tremec 6-speed manual transmission into gear. The steering has to wrestle with wide 255/40ZR19 front tires. The throttle reacts more suddenly. It’s no longer entertaining; it’s a spectacle. And after a while that’s just exhausting. Beyond that, the throwback plastic interior pieces, indifferently tailored upholstery, often indecipherable instruments and cheap controls that are all tolerable in the $38,695 Mustang GT ($42,530 as tested) are flat inexcusable in the $54,495 GT500 ($60,330 as tested).

Read the entire review, check out the slide show and be sure to share your thoughts about the Mustangs in the comments below.

Kirkus51

Hooligan
One of my BIG regrets was buying a POS Fiat right before my Dad got a pristine 67 Mustang convertable. The Fiat has long been thru a crusher as it should have been and the Mustang is a parade fixture in various events in SoCal.

Savantjk

Street Tracker
God I want a new Mustang GT so badly. Make mine black, black leather, black wheels, 6 speed, loud and mean.

My girlfriend's mom has a black exterior / black leather / 19" gunmetal wheels / 6 speed maunual 2012 gt500 svt package. That aluminum block sure does look sick.

Last edited:

Bonafide

NBR founder
That's waay too much money for a freaking Mustang. The new 302 Coyote motor is absolute tits, but I'll pass on paying that much for one.

For the same combined money, I had BOTH of these .. the blue one will flat shit all over a new GT or even that overpriced "Shelby" 500.

july2008.jpg

feb2010_68.jpg

Savantjk

Street Tracker
Not the way that I would spend my money either.. but their choice and they sure as hell have it to spend!

If I was going to buy a Mustang, I'd lean toward a '69 fastback.

JRMSR

Scooter
We've got a highly modified 2008 GT500 my wife drives daily on a 40 mile round trip about 31000 miles on it now from new. 22.3 miles per gallon average as long as you keep you foot out of it.:up:

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

FoothillRyder

Two Stroke
One wouldn't necessarily buy the GT500 for any reason other than it says 'Shelby' on it and has that Cobra emblem. Ford did a lot of work to make the latest GT a real competitor (at least performance-wise) with the European hotties (BMW M's, Audi S's, Benz AMG's, etc.), and buy and large has succeeded. Were I in the market for something like that, however, I'd go with a Saleen.

drlapo

Hooligan
the new GTs look good
I had a new '98 and it was a total POS: slow, unreliable, poor handler
I sold it after one year and was so glad to see it go

JRMSR

Scooter
Both the GT500 and the GT use the new 5.0 which is lighter and seems to be a more capable unit.

The GT500 isn't a Shelby unit in actuality, even though Ford has contracted with Carroll Shelby to use the GT500, Snake Logo and consultation. Ford produces the GT500 not Shelby. Infact there are no Shelby parts used in the GT500. It's all SVT or FRP performance parts. Only the KR, Super Snake, GT350, Cobra and Prudome, carry the actual true name sake and are constructed at the Shelby facility in Las Vegas.

The only issues with the Mustang as a whole, are it's suspension and weight. The M Series, and Benz AMG C63 are miles ahead in the handling area. The Audi S4 doesn't have the power and 5 is way overweight and down on power to actually compete. The Mustang, Boss, GT and GT500 are muscle cars. It's takes quite a bit of suspension upgrading to make it capable track car.

Now the GT500 with the SVT package pretty well tames the desire for the backend to swap places with the front end but still lacks the agility because of weight. The 550 HP produced at the crank exacerbates the weakness. Drop in an FRP suspension package, with a Watts Link and it will quickly transform into a highly capable track car.

We've gone through so much suspension and engine upgrading with my wifes car, we've just about got the balance perfect and it wasn't inexpensive either.

I just bypassed the whole thing, went this direction and let Porsche do the work.

2055809460101608021S500x500Q85.jpg

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

Last edited:
That's waay too much money for a freaking Mustang. The new 302 Coyote motor is absolute tits, but I'll pass on paying that much for one.

For the same combined money, I had BOTH of these .. the blue one will flat shit all over a new GT or even that overpriced "Shelby" 500.

Wow, both are beautiful cars. You have good taste.