Battery runs low

tdaniels10

Scooter
I have a 2009 T100. Lately I've had this happen where the bike will start without a problem, I'll ride for half an hour or so, make a stop, after which, the battery is low and the bike won't start. Could there be a problem with the alternator, or does the battery need replacing (I've kept it on a battery tender over the winter months), I don't understand why the battery drains so quickly. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

koifarm

Hooligan
Battery is the problem. Get a new battery and a battery tender junior and keep it hooked up when you're not using the bike. They come with a little pigtail you put on our batt for easy hookup.
The battery is not draining. On Triumphs (not sure about the 09's) there is a minimum amount of voltage required for the system to function. Your battery is not 'drained' but simply isn't supplying the necessary voltage for the bikes electrical system. Since It's been a while that I encountered the problem, do a search on the forum and find the posts that deal with it, lots of them on here.
BTW welcome to the forum, glad to have you aboard, don't know if you've posted pics of your bike but please do, we all enjoy seeing what the other guy is driving.
There may be a fix for that situation, not exactly sure what it is but remember hearing about it in the forums...

slowgator

750cc
Good choice of color on your Bonnie! FWIW, my '07 T100 is still on the original battery after 4 1/2 years and 20K miles, so I gotta agree with Koi about a defective battery. Might yours still be on warranty; have you asked your dealer about this? Also as Koi suggests, I keep mine on a tender junior when parked and she has fired up every time (knock on wood).

Kirkus51

Hooligan
A Tender is da bomb. I think it's even more important for a fuel injected bike. Very little wiggle room n Voltage.

tdaniels10

Scooter
Hi koifarm once again, I have the Bettery Tender Junior, but I'm not sure what you mean by the little pigtail. It is a bit of a pain to have to remove the seat every time I finish riding to connect the battery tender, and I believe the pigtail you talk about must extend from under the seat in order to connect the tender without having to remove the seat. Is that correct? Can you describe the pigtail you're talking about? Thanks again. BTW, I love the Bonnie, it's such a fun bike to ride and I get a lot of nice comments from others. I love the symmetry in the design of the bike, just as it was in the early days.

koifarm

Hooligan
Hi koifarm once again, I have the Bettery Tender Junior, but I'm not sure what you mean by the little pigtail. It is a bit of a pain to have to remove the seat every time I finish riding to connect the battery tender, and I believe the pigtail you talk about must extend from under the seat in order to connect the tender without having to remove the seat. Is that correct? Can you describe the pigtail you're talking about? Thanks again. BTW, I love the Bonnie, it's such a fun bike to ride and I get a lot of nice comments from others. I love the symmetry in the design of the bike, just as it was in the early days.

The pigtail came with my Tender JR. It consists of two parts, one end has a plus and minus, color coded circular connectors for your battery posts and the other has a bayonet type fitting for the connection to the tender its self.
Since I'm not sure what you got with yours I do know you can order it separately from Tender's website. The total length is about 10 inches plenty long enough to reach from the battery to the outside, either left or right, just under the bottom edge of the seat. Tie wraps will ensure it staying in one place.
battery_tender_junior_12v.jpg

the pigtail is in the bottom right hand corner of the picture.
Thanks for the pic...nice looking color scheme for sure, and yes, they are a true sensual treat to ride, the one I have is #6. as you may imagine I wish I had #1 thru #5 still in the barn. :eeek:

Last edited:

slowgator

750cc
It is a bit of a pain to have to remove the seat every time I finish riding to connect the battery tender, and I believe the pigtail you talk about must extend from under the seat in order to connect the tender without having to remove the seat. Is that correct?

I had the dealer install a Powerlet cigarette outlet on my handlebars for GPS, cellphone, etc. which is hardwired directly to the battery. There is a connector under the handlebars on the front side of the gas tank that I unplug after every ride and plug the tender in there, avoiding removal of the seat for charging. Works like a charm!

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/360-688

Last edited:

tdaniels10

Scooter
thanks koifarm, I got the parts you posted... I had the pigtail already connected to the tender and didnt realize they are two separate parts. Thanks for your help.

mark66

TT Racer
Yeah it should, unless the battery has reached a state where the charge won't help anymore, and that can happen. There's a constant drain on them and if it's weak or maybe has a bad cell it will take a charge when not in use, but put it under a load and it can lose enough to fail to start your bike.

TC_Dick

TT Racer
I'm having a similar problem on my '07. The battery will take a charge and will run fine, but the battery either isn't being charged or..

I checked the voltage at the battery with the bike off, at idle, and at about 3500-4000 rpm and it stays steady at 12.5 v.

Deek

Scooter
thanks koifarm, I got the parts you posted... I had the pigtail already connected to the tender and didnt realize they are two separate parts. Thanks for your help.

There is also a use for the pigtail when you're not connected to a Battery Tender. You can buy a cigarette lighter unit that seals with a cap that will connect to the SAE fitting on the non-battery side. I wish I remember where I got it, but I think it was about $12. Those can be wonderful for charging a cell phone, MP3 play, GPS. The caveat is that the BT pigtail has a fuse, so you don't want to exceed its rating. However, that has never been a problem with mine charging the items above. I just keep the cigarette light end in my tank bag, covered with its cap when it's not in use. Extremely handy.

tdaniels10

Scooter
Thanks guys for all the useful information. I definitely will need a new battery and will keep it plugged into the BT inbetween rides.

Here's another photo of my bike. I don't think the red/black color scheme was very common for 2009 but it was the only T100 my dealer had in stock and it just happened to be my favorite color.

Attachments

• DSC00344.jpg
    DSC00344.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 0

mark66

TT Racer
I'm having a similar problem on my '07. The battery will take a charge and will run fine, but the battery either isn't being charged or..

I checked the voltage at the battery with the bike off, at idle, and at about 3500-4000 rpm and it stays steady at 12.5 v.

Yeah that's not right. Should have 14 to 14.5 at 4000. If you've got a Haynes manuel it walks you through a check out of the battery and charging side of the system. Have you tried those checks yet?

slowgator

750cc
Thanks guys for all the useful information. I definitely will need a new battery and will keep it plugged into the BT inbetween rides.

Here's another photo of my bike. I don't think the red/black color scheme was very common for 2009 but it was the only T100 my dealer had in stock and it just happened to be my favorite color.

Good lookin' stocker! The cows don't seem too impressed though...

Rich

moped
Shouldn't the alternator keep the battery at full charge if the bike is ridden often?

Sounds like the regulator/rectifier isn't doing it's job. Get a volt meter and check voltage across the battery terminals with the engine off, then with it running. Off on a good battery should be 12.4 or so. When the bike is running it should be 14 something. If it's not, you probably need a new/better regulator. Common problem on a bunch of Triumphs.

Rich

TC_Dick

TT Racer
Yeah that's not right. Should have 14 to 14.5 at 4000. If you've got a Haynes manuel it walks you through a check out of the battery and charging side of the system. Have you tried those checks yet?

the alt. puts out around 60v at rev, so I'm thinking it's the r/r.

I love their test writeup in the book:

"try a good one"